help, where did i go wrong with my meal last night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
where did i go with my meal last night? after 2 hours i tested BS at 12.9 (highest i've ever had to date). My meal was a piece of fish in breadcrumbs at 20g carbs, 50g mushy peas at 5.5g, some potatoe wedges at 13g and a dessert of half a cooking applie stewed with a low fat digestice biscuit crumbled on top - the total carbs were just over 50g so how come such a high reading?

Hi carina, it's unpredictable sometimes, I'm afraid. Getting a 'spike' of 12.x two hours after eating isn't great, but probably not that unusual unless you're very firmly committed to a strict diet of 'foods that won't spike me'. Finding out what those foods are is part of the joy of diabetes and it's not always that easy. Foods digest and convert to glucose at different rates - some may spike at 1 hour and then decline, others may spke at 3, 4 or even 5+ hours, so you can't be sure that you've always spotted the high point. Remember that a fingerprick test is only a snapshot and doesn't tell you the rise and fall after eating and digesting.

Ideally, we'd all have CGMs (continuous Glucose Monitors) to tell us what's happening but that's not a practical reality yet, so all we can do is be methodical in our tests, recording the details, and seeing if we get a similar response the next time. It can't really be rushed, so patience in abundance is necessary, and you shouldn't lose heart if you encounter the occasional undesirable reading. Have you eaten a mal like this before? If not, it's worth repeating the meal sometime in similar circumstances and maybe test at 1 and 2 hour intervals.

Hi, my guess is the combination of breadcrumbs (which can be high fat) and the peas, as they are very slow digesting, so because of the fat content, and also pulses are notoriously slow to digest so you will get a peak much later, as you have found.

you did not do anything wrong, its just the combination of the foods can have an impact much later than you think.

where did i go with my meal last night? after 2 hours i tested BS at 12.9 (highest i've ever had to date). My meal was a piece of fish in breadcrumbs at 20g carbs, 50g mushy peas at 5.5g, some potatoe wedges at 13g and a dessert of half a cooking applie stewed with a low fat digestice biscuit crumbled on top - the total carbs were just over 50g so how come such a high reading?

you had four dollops of fast acting carbs - breadcrumbs, potato, apple, biscuit. It also depends on what your bg was BEFORE the meal.
Try the same meal again without the dessert.
best of all kick the breaded fish into touch and just have fish.
I must say you are very brave eating fruit if you are not on medication or insulin.
It is said,in general, that 1 gram of carb will raise the bg of the average overweight T2 by 0.4 over about a 3 hour period. if you conform to that pattern your 50g should raise your bg by 20 points. And of course you don't know whether the 12.9 was still rising or subsiding.
What you know for certain is that you cannot cope with a meal like the one you described and shouldn't have it again.
Have you read Jennifer's Smart Advice ?
http://jennifer.flyingrat.net/

I must say you are very brave eating fruit if you are not on medication or insulin.

Hi Peter - I'm recently diagnosed too, and I was advised to eat lots of fruit and veg. I'm guessing from what you said that this is not such a good idea?

Karina :confused:

Hi Peter - I'm recently diagnosed too, and I was advised to eat lots of fruit and veg. I'm guessing from what you said that this is not such a good idea?

Karina :confused:

Fruit is healthy but is high in carbs. High carbs = high blood glucose.

Fruit is healthy but is high in carbs. High carbs = high blood glucose.

I see... for some reason, fruit doesn't seem to cause a significant spike for me.. I have a Tesco fresh fruit salad as a snack every day.. I'll keep an eye on it though

high carbs? what are they?? oops :D yes, best to keep an eye on it to see how it affects you 🙂

I see... for some reason, fruit doesn't seem to cause a significant spike for me.. I have a Tesco fresh fruit salad as a snack every day.. I'll keep an eye on it though

I also don't have any trouble with fruit, strawberries are the only thing that seem to spike me. I really should eat more fruit 🙄

the only fruit i stay clear of are grapes strawberries and cherries

I was told to avoid fruit juice, grapes and bananas, but that berries and green apples were OK in moderation. Digestives are quite high in sugar from what I'm told, perhaps that's what sent your numbers up.

the only fruit i stay clear of are grapes strawberries and cherries

The fruit salad I get is the classic one and has melon, strawberries, grapes and apple. I had one at 6.30 this evening and when I tested at 8.30 (couldn't before as I was at work) it was 5.9 which is ok?

Karina 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back