Help understanding how my ethnicity may have contributed to a diabetes type 2 diagnosis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilLady

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, 35 year old female here diagnosed with type 2. Looking into risk groups etc, to gain a better understanding of a diagnosis which has blind sided me. I am aware that "quotes Diabetes UK"

People from Black African, African Caribbean and South Asian (Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi) backgrounds are at a higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes from a younger age.​

Technically I am mixed heritage, My mum was English, dad Italian, I am wondering where to put myself when looking at my risk?
Although I am mixed, I'd consider myself to be white. I want to explore everything and understand why I have developed type 2. When I put in 'white' into the risk questionnaire I am low risk but if I select 'mixed ethnicity' which although true may be misleading due it not giving 2 specific ethnicities and Mediterraneans not being a risk group, I am increased risk.
Which am I??
Help appreciated, thanks xxScreenshot_20210919-220117_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20210919-220033_Samsung Internet.jpg

I believe Italian would come under white, and mixed ethnicity would be more referring to mixed with Asian or black ethnicity. It isn’t only people that are high risk that can get diabetes, I’m white and was diagnosed T2 age 20 with no family history of it. Sometimes it just happens.

Hi,

I would also go with white, Mediterranean's/Europeans live in a separate continent to Africa and Asia. There are other risk factors to consider, e.g. family history of diabetes, B.M.I. Regards. Tim.

I believe Italian would come under white, and mixed ethnicity would be more referring to mixed with Asian or black ethnicity. It isn’t only people that are high risk that can get diabetes, I’m white and was diagnosed T2 age 20 with no family history of it. Sometimes it just happens.
Brill, thank you thought so. I find it so confusing.. like am I being honest/accurate here.
That's tough going.
Also have no family history, we are a mystery..

Having spent time carrying out the DUK Know your Risk assessments I would have put you down as White European.

BMi has a lot to do with it as does heritage. If Parents / grandparents / siblings have / had Type 2 diabetes you are more at risk. Also if you have had gestational diabetes during any pregnancy. The biggest factor is any excess weight being carried around the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back