Help to understand blood spikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

T2 Wiltshire

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
T2 and trying to only take medication when needed ....Please can you help me understand why blood sugar is so high, I've recently had my yearly blood results come down from the 90's to the 50's with a total change of diet following a low carb diet over the last 3 months. However over the last 3 weeks my blood sugar level is all over the place, it can be as high as 11-14 even before meals, it doesn't really change after meals and eventually comes down but not really below 9 or 10....any advice on this please

From what I understand, Metformin (assuming this is the medication you are on?) works by reducing the amount of glucose the liver releases into the blood stream. So if you are only taking this when needed I would suspect you are seeing rises in blood glucose (BG) levels when you are not taking it. Also, over time your pancreas may not be able to produce sufficient insulin to overcome the body’s insulin resistance, again resulting in higher levels. Of course there are many factors that cause BG to increase, infection, stress, etc., etc. it is possible that a change or addition to medication is needed or even starting on insulin. But this is obviously one for your healthcare team to consider and help you.

Hope this helps you a bit, it may be helpful to let us know more background from diagnosis, medications prescribed, etc.

I’m sure that others with T2 will be along and may be able to offer further suggestions. Good luck!

What do you mean by taking medication when necessary? Most T2 medication is taken daily.

Having BG in the 9-10 region is probably about right given a hba1c in the 50s. Morning readings are often higher due to 'Dawn Phenomenon' and other factors.

If diet/exercise/weight loss aren't bringing it down then maybe more medication is needed, but you'd need to talk to the GP/Diabetic nurse to get proper medical advice.

When you say low carb what sort of amount per meal or per day are you having. It could be your tolerance to certain carb has changed or your portion size has crept up. It could be worth checking some specific meals before eating and after 2 hours.
There are people who have found blood glucose rising after having Covid or vaccinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back