Help! Taking prednisone & big bs spikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvb12

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Hi
I/we are new to the forum so hope this is posted in the best place? I write on behalf of my partner, diagnosed in March as T2 and hba1c 40 down from 51, lifestyle changes etc only.

He’s just had to start a reducing dose of steroid pills (pred.) about 11 days ago, so have approx 6 weeks longer left on them. As feared they had started to cause quite big increases in afternoon and evening p.p readings, up to 13.5-15 from previous 7-9 mmols. This started a couple of days in.
The main query is has anyone here been in similar situation and tried taking the pills later in the day or just before bed? …as this may reduce this happening as markedly, and if so was the morning reading a lot higher? (His current morning fasting seems the same range, 5-6 ish usually).

This has really demotivated him as we are pretty sure the yearly courses of preds were a reason for his diabetes diagnosis in first place, so facing them again now is frustrating and who knows the permanent damage to the good progress & prognosis long term will be .

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Prednisolone should be taken first thing in the morning due to it's ability to disturb sleep. Simplest thing to do is reduce carbs as much as possible and exercise if you can whilst on pred.

People on insulin are lucky as all we have to do is increase our insulin which obviously doesn't apply to your partner.
Well done on the lowered A1c that's a great improvement.

Hi. All steroids can cause a big rise in BS so it's always wise to agree the lowest possible dose with the consultant. As a T2 there is little to be done other than keeping the carbs way down.

I would assume as he is now reducing his dose it will have less impact on the glucose levels though it may take a while to work out of the system.
Just watch the carbs more carefully and make sure he keeps hydrated

I would assume as he is now reducing his dose it will have less impact on the glucose levels though it may take a while to work out of the system.
Just watch the carbs more carefully and make sure he keeps hydrated
Thanks, we’ve been doing everything possible as expected this and yes the dose does reduce but not quick enough! both just trying to avoid yet more meds eg metformin specifically (unless it was temporary). He’s managed to get another hba1c taken today and the DSN says following that they’d look at drugs assuming it has shot up, which she thinks it will have. It was news to me that they’re not really concerned with BS readings, but guess that’s as they’re hypers not hypos. Their goals don’t align with the individual patients though as we already learnt with the other condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back