Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacen017

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi Guys,

I've just been very stupid and included the weight of my plate when working out my carbs before injecting Fiasp.

I've used 11 units when I should have used 3.

BG is currently fine hovering around 6 but I wondered if anyone has any advice on what sort of things I could eat to keep a hypo at bay other than sweets as it's not going to be possible to eat the amount of food I've injected for 🙄

Have you got any sugary drinks in the house such as Coke or orange juice?

Hi Guys,

I've just been very stupid and included the weight of my plate when working out my carbs before injecting Fiasp.

I've used 11 units when I should have used 3.

BG is currently fine hovering around 6 but I wondered if anyone has any advice on what sort of things I could eat to keep a hypo at bay other than sweets as it's not going to be possible to eat the amount of food I've injected for 🙄
It will depend on your carb to insulin ratio how many grams of carb you need to have. Could you not have different things to make up that amount. Full fat coke, fruit juice, biscuits or whatever high carb food you would eat.

It will depend on your carb to insulin ratio how many grams of carb you need to have. Could you not have different things to make up that amount. Full fat coke, fruit juice, biscuits or whatever high carb food you would eat.

1:20

So 160g of carbs missing.

I just don't want to be up all night eating sweet things to have it just crash down again.

Have you got any sugary drinks in the house such as Coke or orange juice?
I've got hypo treatment, was hoping someone might have a suggestion that would keep it up and not rollercoaster all night :rofl:

If I were in your situation, I'd work out how many carbs I'd over-bolused for (I see you said 160g carbs) and try to drink that much in fruit juice or eat in granola bars over the next hour or two.

If you have a CGM, I'd be keeping a close eye on the trend line for the next several hours. I'd also set the low alarm a bit higher than usual since I'd expect to see my blood sugar go down quite a bit. Better to catch it early and avoid the hypo.

Do you have a glucagon pen on hand? Hopefully you won't need it, but it'd be good to have ready if it was necessary.

This is a bit different, but last week I accidentally took two sitagliptin tablets in the morning instead of one. I took the tablets after I'd bolused for breakfast, but I noticed right after swallowing the tablet and was able to avoid hypos by eating extra carbs. I needed about 2 times the carbs I'd bolused for at breakfast, I reduced my lunch time insulin by 50% and by dinner everything was back to normal. I watched my CGM like a hawk until I got a sense of what my blood sugar was doing.

Sometimes these things happen and they're usually ok in the end, you just might be uncomfortably full or not get much sleep depending on how it goes.

Last edited:
If I were in your situation, I'd work out how many carbs I'd over-bolused for (I see you said 160g carbs) and try to drink that much in fruit juice or eat in granola bars over the next hour or two.

If you have a CGM, I'd be keeping a close eye on the trend line for the next several hours. I'd also set the low alarm a bit higher than usual since I'd expect to see my blood sugar go down quite a bit. Better to catch it early and avoid the hypo.

Do you have a glucagon pen on hand? Hopefully you won't need it, but it'd be good to have ready if it was necessary.
Never been given Glucagon.

So you would spread that 160g over a couple of hours rather than all at once?

Eeek! That must feel scary @Jacen017

How long ago did you take the insulin? It usually takes rapid insulins up to an hour to get going (from about 20 minutes) and keeps running for about another 4 hours.

Yes i think I’d have bursts of rapid carbs over the next few hours. Try to ride it out without BG crashing or soaring

Keep checking often, and if think you need to, get to A&E.

Your rapid insulin only last a few hours, so a nice sweet dessert like cake or biscuits and a sugary cup of tea should see you right.

When I injected 24 units of Fiasp instead of Levemir one morning I kept a written tally of what I was eating so that I didn't get lost with how much I had had and then just ate to my Libre. I had a mixture of all sorts, some JBs, a coffee with sugar, some dried fruit, a few teaspoons of honey, biscuits. I just ate to keep my levels in range as much as possible. The early part was the hardest because you have an element of panic as your levels are dropping ad that you might not be able to eat enopugh fast enough. For that reason, it makes sense to have fast acting carbs first and then when you are about two thirds of the way through your quota, switch to medium release. I have done it twice now and the second time I found spoons of runny honey quite easy initially and then once I had that down me it became less of a panic and I relaxed a bit and went onto slower stuff. I don't keep full sugar coke or orange juice in the house so honey was about the best I could find for the fast part of the drop. Hope you are OK. Let us know how you get on.

Eeek! That must feel scary @Jacen017

How long ago did you take the insulin? It usually takes rapid insulins up to an hour to get going (from about 20 minutes) and keeps running for about another 4 hours.

Yes i think I’d have bursts of rapid carbs over the next few hours. Try to ride it out without BG crashing or soaring

Keep checking often, and if think you need to, get to A&E.
Took it an hour ago, started dropping after about 20 mins and I've been sugaring myself up and then it crashes again over and over.

I'm such an idiot 🙄

I'd try to eat what I over-bolused for during the normal meal time. If this is your dinner bolus, I'd eat and drink the carbs when eating dinner, or soon after.

Sometimes I snack on granola bars to keep my blood sugar up overnight since granola bars are slower acting than glucose tabs, but for an over-bolus like this, I'd try and eat them during dinner time.

Dried fruits, eg apricots and prunes (c 45%), dates (64%) plus some cereals and granolas are 60% or greater.

Took it an hour ago, started dropping after about 20 mins and I've been sugaring myself up and then it crashes again over and over.
It'll level off eventually. Once the insulin works itself off on the carbs, it'll be over.

It happens to all of us at some point. If you try and remember what works this time, you can use the experience to get you through next time.

I'd try to eat what I over-bolused for during the normal meal time. If this is your dinner bolus, I'd eat and drink the carbs when eating dinner, or soon after.

Sometimes I snack on granola bars to keep my blood sugar up overnight since granola bars are slower acting than glucose tabs, but for an over-bolus like this, I'd try and eat them during dinner time.
When it is a huge overdose, I found that it drops you very quickly so it is important to get the fast acting stuff into you first otherwise your ordinary food may slow the absorption of the fast acting carbs. This is probably more relevant with Fiasp because it works quicker.

Never been given Glucagon.
I know this won't help you now, but it might be worth asking so you can have it on hand.

If you never need it and it expires unused, that's great. But when you need it (even to have sitting next to you as a safety blanket in situations like this), you need it.

I'm such an idiot 🙄

Yup, it’ll do that. Just keep boosting your BGs bit by bit, and try not to get too frustrated and go over the top. The last thing you want late in the evening is to suddenly find yourself with skyrocketing BGs that won’t level off?

Don’t beat yourself up. These kind of things happen to everyone. I’ve taken my night time basal dose in rapid insulin by mistake before now. Needed a bunch of jelly babies and biscuits for that one!

Have you got any jam or chocolate spread? I’d go for fast carbs first (coke juice sweets type stuff) then toast with jam as a mix of fast and slower carbs after that

Have you got any jam or chocolate spread? I’d go for fast carbs first (coke juice sweets type stuff) then toast with jam as a mix of fast and slower carbs after that
I didn't think of that, it shouldn't be to filling thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back