Help !! - So Hungrey all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzydi

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Is this down to me now being on insulin - I could gladly eat my hands when I first wake up in the morning.

I've worked to hard losing 3 stone to put it all back on again 😡

I've eaten 6 rice corn thins (these are like eating polystyrene I might add) today in between meals as well as all my fruit!!

I have a lot of weight to lose and don't want to regular snacks like biscuits and stuff so I use carrot sticks as a snack. They're high fibre so they fill you and they don't make me high.

As a type 1 I can say that for us it could certainly be the insulin. It sounds like you need to get in touch with your DSN or GP and see if they think you should alter your dose in some way.

In general, if you have too much insulin, you will have a lower blood sugar and may need to eat to increase it. Mind you, it could also be that if you have been "highish" for a while, you may have got used to higher levels and therefore feel hungry when (from a blood sugar point of view) you are officially OK.

Have you test srtips so that you could at least see what levels you are at when you feel hungry?

As a type 1 I can say that for us it could certainly be the insulin. It sounds like you need to get in touch with your DSN or GP and see if they think you should alter your dose in some way.

In general, if you have too much insulin, you will have a lower blood sugar and may need to eat to increase it. Mind you, it could also be that if you have been "highish" for a while, you may have got used to higher levels and therefore feel hungry when (from a blood sugar point of view) you are officially OK.

Have you test srtips so that you could at least see what levels you are at when you feel hungry?

I do have test strips - been testing in the morning before breakfast.
I was between 7.5 and 8.5 pre insulin - I'm now 4.9 to 5.3

Will my body adjust and get used to it or am I going to feel hungrey all the time from now on.

To be honest I am not sure though I would guess you would adjust, but hopefully someone alse will be able to tell you.

Your levels sound very good by the way 😉

Dizzy di, I sympathise. Weirdly I have had the same problem exactly for the last couple of months.

I could chew my hand off. Even when I feel full I could still eat something else, its terrible. I am also starting to regain weight that I lost. I put it on really easily too.

I wish I knew the answer! If I ever find it I will message you! xx

Will my body adjust and get used to it or am I going to feel hungrey all the time from now on.

I feel like that.. I was always high for a while and now that im startin to get my levels within target im feeling hungry all the time.. when im like sitting at 7 or 8 and it annoys me so much.
Like for brekkie i could eat two slices of toast and a banana then like an hour later i will be hungry...
but when my sugars are really high im not hungry at all...

Im still waiting for my body adjust... tick tock lol

and also i just wondered, when im workin im always on the move.. so i reduce my breakfast and lunch doses by 30% or sometimes 50% to avoid a hypo..

but does that mean i will run high for the first couple of hours after the breakfast or lunch then maybe come down to normal levels near to my next meal.

for example - say i was like 7.2 at lunch (2pm) then i had my food and took 50% less insulin to avoid hypo. Then at 4pm i checked it in work and i was at 12.7 then by the time i get home at say 6pm i am sitting within target at 6.7, would that 12.7 i was at, at 3pm affect my overall control and may cause complications in the future?

ta mucho chums :D

and also i just wondered, when im workin im always on the move.. so i reduce my breakfast and lunch doses by 30% or sometimes 50% to avoid a hypo..

but does that mean i will run high for the first couple of hours after the breakfast or lunch then maybe come down to normal levels near to my next meal.

for example - say i was like 7.2 at lunch (2pm) then i had my food and took 50% less insulin to avoid hypo. Then at 4pm i checked it in work and i was at 12.7 then by the time i get home at say 6pm i am sitting within target at 6.7, would that 12.7 i was at, at 3pm affect my overall control and may cause complications in the future?

ta mucho chums :D

I can't help with overall levels - but I think generally the HbA1C percentage is a good indicator of how good levels are overall.

Maybe some of the more knowledgeable folk on here can help with your question.

Last night just before bed I was absolutly climbing the walls in hungar - I had eaten my evening meal of Turkey and smoked papricka rissoto and I had a fruit smoothie made with pineapple, banana, apple and orange.

My bs was 4.2! at 10.20 pm - I dived straight into the cereal my bs was 5.9 this morning 😱

I was absolutely ravenous for the first couple of months after going on insulin - could have eaten a scabby horse between two bread vans! But, in time, I did adjust, and hopeflly you will too. With diabetes, things take time and we can become impatient, or even despairing - but just make adjustments gradually. Good advice to talk to your doctor or DSN about it.

I think what the others have said is true, as you get used to lower levels generally, your appetite should settle. I now very rarely snack between meals and I used to eat all the time. Problem is, when you are injecting insulin, you are putting in enough all at once to deal with the carbs you're going to eat and it can depend a lot on how closely that insulin is matched to the glucose released by the food as to how hungry you might feel.

For example, say the food digests slowly, the insulin will take about 2 hours to start peaking, but if it's peaking before the glucose then you'll start dropping and feel hungry again. Stick with it and try your best to resist carby snacks unless your levels are clearly dropping, otherwise you can end up yo-yoing up and down, which won't help.

Personally I've had no problem with extreme feelings of hunger since I started on insulin back in October.

Which insulin are you on and how many units?

I've been on insulin for nearly 7 years, but since my insulin pump (6 weeks now) i can't stop eating and I guess this is because my bloods are now in range, which is great but am also trying to lose weight and shape up...mega annoyign!!!! x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back