Help! Should I go to A&E?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gottapee

Im t2 36f and have been struggling to control my blood sugar for 2 years.
Currently on aloglyptin which isn’t doing much.

I’m waiting to see an endo but where I am the waiting time is at least 30 weeks.

I’ve got a really bad head cold and I’m feeling crappy, which is to be expected. Tried to get a docs appointment this morning but couldn’t. My blood has been sitting around the 20-25 mark all day. It spiked to about 14 before I even woke up. I’m feeling awful - really cold and palpitations etc.

I’ve been for a walk and eaten a small meal but it’s just going higher and higher.
I’ve not been given any insulin or anything to bring it down and I feel completely helpless - what do I do?

If you have some ketone urine test stick use those to test for ketones as high blood glucose and ketones are a potentially dangerous combination as it could indicate DKA. Check your symptoms in the link https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/complications/diabetic_ketoacidosis?gclid
If you have no strips then you should be able to get from the pharmacy.
However I should ring or use 111 on line to ask for advice if you have no luck with your GP

Thank you for your quick reply.

I already checked and I have low amounts of ketones so I don’t think dka is an issue. It’s more the fact I can’t get it down.

Have you done a Covid test? I'm currently suffering for the first time and have felt like you did.

Have you done a Covid test? I'm currently suffering for the first time and have felt like you did.
Thank you! I have done 3 tests - all negative I’m a teacher so no surprises that I get sick sometimes but it’s definitely not Covid. Are your bloods all over the place too?

Im t2 36f and have been struggling to control my blood sugar for 2 years.
Currently on aloglyptin which isn’t doing much.

I’m waiting to see an endo but where I am the waiting time is at least 30 weeks.

I’ve got a really bad head cold and I’m feeling crappy, which is to be expected. Tried to get a docs appointment this morning but couldn’t. My blood has been sitting around the 20-25 mark all day. It spiked to about 14 before I even woke up. I’m feeling awful - really cold and palpitations etc.

I’ve been for a walk and eaten a small meal but it’s just going higher and higher.
I’ve not been given any insulin or anything to bring it down and I feel completely helpless - what do I do?
It may be helpful to ring NHS111 for further help if you are feeling bad, but if you feel like you are really struggling, you may have to ring 999 or go to A and E. Please do let us know how you get on!

Thank you for your quick reply.

I already checked and I have low amounts of ketones so I don’t think dka is an issue. It’s more the fact I can’t get it down.
If you don’t have ketones /dka risk they don’t generally do anything to bring your bg down in a&e. I’ve been discharged with bg at 28-30 before.

@Gottapee, what happened to other people is only relevant to you if your medical condition (not necessarily how you feel) is the same as their. I would echo @Josh DUK 's suggestion of ringing NHS 111 to discuss your situation with someone.

It is better to seek help and be reassured than wait it out and things turn worse.

I am absolutely NOT posting that to scare you or anything of the sort, but none of us can possibly know your medical condition, history or anything else.

Better safe than sorry.

Hi. As you probably know BS rises when ill. Are you only on the Gliptin? Many would be on Metformin as well and possibly other drugs? Do you have any excess weight which could point to insulin resistance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back