Help required for a newbie

Jan1956

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi all.
Glad to have found Diabetes UK of which I’ve now become a member!
I’ve very recently been diagnosed as T2 diabetic after struggling for a number of years in the pre diabetic range. My Hba1c was 57 on diagnosis. The Hba1c reading 6 months earlier was 44. I’ve definitely let things slide, so although I felt shocked I was expecting it as I’d started to feel symptoms - occasional burry vision, thirst and a real hunger for sweet foods.
I asked my GP to be given a month to try and reduce my Hba1c count a little (I’m now on a Low Carb diet ) before retesting and I’m trying SO hard to follow a low carb plan but unsure if I’m getting it right?. I get retested at the end of Sept.
The GP has given me NO information, nor does she think a glucose monitor is necessary.
Personally, I really think a monitor would help me understand how food is affecting my body and glucose levels.
So,firstly, I’m looking at buying a 2 week continuous glucose monitor. I have seen the freestyle monitor and one called lingo? Very Pricey! but I want to do the best thing for my body and I think they might be easier for me than. Finger prick one.

Can I ask your advice about getting a CGG? Would it help me to keep track and help me understand when I’m spiking and foods that are causing this?
I admit to feeling scared, as I have a family history of T2 and my close relatives have died with diabetes related conditions.

I’m currently trying to eat a low carbs diet ,with no potatoes or bread, mainly eating protein and salads. I am fasting at breakfast.
(for 5 weeks or so ) as I understand a fasting window could help kick start the insulin. I’ve loosely followed the Michael Moseley plan so far because the recipe books are easy to follow . But happy for other advice here . I’ve bought a book called the Glucose Revolution but haven’t got far with that yet. I’m finding everything a bit overwhelming.
The Dr wanted to put me on Meds at my last appt. to control the diabetes but I’ve asked for more time ( a month before retesting) to try myself to lower the count a little myself ( I realise it won’t be dramatic in a month but it would be an indicator that I’m on the right path)
But now I keep wondering what damage I’m doing while I’m not taking meds to control this and whether I should just go on the meds?
At the moment I am getting occasional hot flushes and occasional fast heart beat for a few seconds then goes ok. Is this related to diabetes? I’m no longer getting blurry vision or thirst.
The Dr will review me at the beginning of October.

The other thing I’m totally CLUELESS about is what type of milk I should be drinking? I drink a lot of decaf tea with skimmed milk - can anyone kindly advise me on the best alternative for skimmed milk? Or is skimmed milk ok?
Any help gratefully appreciated especially regarding monitors and dietary advice .
Many thanks.

Hi, and welcome. First off, milk is OK if you're only having it in tea. If you were drinking lattes, or glasses of it, then it might be an issue. I use semi-skimmed in my tea, other members prefer whole milk. There's barely any difference in the carbs between the 3. Unless you like your tea really milky you'd be unlikely to be going much beyond a couple of grams of carbohydrate per cup.

With an HbA1c of 57 you would likely be prescribed Metformin, but that on its own won't reduce your HbA1c. It improves the way your body handles insulin, needs to work alongside dietary changes and is usually prescribed when diet and exercise alone have not been enough to control blood sugar levels. If you've embraced low carb that should already be having an effect, even without medication.

HCPs always say that about self-testing but they'll find few people on here who would agree. I don't have any experience of CGMs - I still finger-prick - but many members do and I'm sure they'll be along shortly to answer your questions.

Can't comment on the hot flushes and fast heart rate other than to say it's not something I've experienced.

Last edited:
I would have said 3 months was a more realistic time scale for a repeat HbA1C test as it is a reflection of the previous 3 months so would still have a period of time before you changed your diet.
Have a look at this link for some ideas for a low carb approach, meal plans to suit various tastes or just do your own thing and follow the principals. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

Hi. I'm also a real newbie - type 2 on two lots of meds because hbac1 was very high. I decided to try a Freestyle Libre (they do a free trial for the first one) and I have found it hugely informative and fascinating in equal measures!! For example if I eat porridge oats my glucose goes quite high, but a slice of rye bread causes no raise at all. So I will avoid oats. My understanding is that everyone reacts differently to different carbs and it's a matter of finding what is best for you. Watching my glucose levels fall with my new way of eating and the meds has spurred me on to keep trying. As I say - just a newbie but hope this is helpful.

Hi. I'm also a real newbie - type 2 on two lots of meds because hbac1 was very high. I decided to try a Freestyle Libre (they do a free trial for the first one) and I have found it hugely informative and fascinating in equal measures!! For example if I eat porridge oats my glucose goes quite high, but a slice of rye bread causes no raise at all. So I will avoid oats. My understanding is that everyone reacts differently to different carbs and it's a matter of finding what is best for you. Watching my glucose levels fall with my new way of eating and the meds has spurred me on to keep trying. As I say - just a newbie but hope this is helpful.
Thank you for replying. That’s very helpful thanks and interesting and as you say glucose responses is individual to each of us. I had thought porridge oats would be a slower release so interesting to learn of your spike . Rye bread is something I haven’t thought about, so worth me trying. Can I ask if you found the monitor easy to apply to your arm? Did it last and stay in place for two weeks? I have a daily shower and noticed on some of the reviews that people have had difficulty keeping them in place?
In order to get a free initial trial did you go direct to the company online?
Hope you continue to have success with your new eating regime. Good luck.

Hi, and welcome. First off, milk is OK if you're only having it in tea. If you were drinking lattes, or glasses of it, then it might be an issue. I use semi-skimmed in my tea, other members prefer whole milk. There's barely any difference in the carbs between the 3. Unless you like your tea really milky you'd be unlikely to be going much beyond a couple of grams of carbohydrate per cup.

With an HbA1c of 57 you would likely be prescribed Metformin, but that on its own won't reduce your HbA1c. It improves the way your body handles insulin, needs to work alongside dietary changes and is usually prescribed when diet and exercise alone have not been enough to control blood sugar levels. If you've embraced low carb that should already be having an effect, even without medication.

HCPs always say that about self-testing but they'll find few people on here who would agree. I don't have any experience of CGMs - I still finger-prick - but many members do and I'm sure they'll be along shortly to answer your questions.

Can't comment on the hot flushes and fast heart rate other than to say it's not something I've experienced.
Thank you for taking time to reply . It’s helpful to understand the role of Metformin and its reassuring to hope that I can get my diabetes under control with diet and exercise ( the latter I still have a way to go to improve on ) I notice that you got your hbA1c count down from 114 to remission in 7/8 months which is impressive!
Can I ask if this was with medication? If so have you remained on medication or come off it now? I feel I have a lot to learn. Thanks again.

I would have said 3 months was a more realistic time scale for a repeat HbA1C test as it is a reflection of the previous 3 months so would still have a period of time before you changed your diet.
Have a look at this link for some ideas for a low carb approach, meal plans to suit various tastes or just do your own thing and follow the principals. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
Thank you for the link. It looks like that will be very useful . I agree about 3 monthly testing being more suitable. I’m not expecting major changes after a month but I think it will give me reassurance that I’m doing the right things even if counts only drop a little.

Thank you for taking time to reply . It’s helpful to understand the role of Metformin and its reassuring to hope that I can get my diabetes under control with diet and exercise ( the latter I still have a way to go to improve on ) I notice that you got your hbA1c count down from 114 to remission in 7/8 months which is impressive!
Can I ask if this was with medication? If so have you remained on medication or come off it now? I feel I have a lot to learn. Thanks again.
I was on Metformin initially but it didn't agree with me and I stopped taking it after 6 weeks. This was my DN's suggestion, I hasten to add. I'd been testing on waking and after meals and when she saw my numbers she decided I probably didn't need it. I haven't taken any meds since.

Welcome to the forum @Jan1956

Sounds like you’ve made some positive changes to your menu to help with your blood glucose management. Well done! :starstruck:

I can understand why you are interested in checking your glucose levels to see how your metabolism is coping with your adjusted menu - especially since reactions to the same foods can vary so much from person to person.

We do have some T2 members who opt for a CGM like Libre2 or Dexcom1, but as you say they are very expensive, and are most often used by people with diabetes who are using insulin to manage their glucose levels, where the additional level of detail and 24/7 tracking of levels can be very helpful.

Most of our T2 members who find self-monitoring helpful, choose to use pairs of fingerstick checks before and after meals to see the effect of different meals, foods, and sources of carbohydrates on their blood glucose, but perhaps in a slightly less obtrusive ‘big brother’ way than CGM. You can take a reading immediately before a meal, and again 2hrs after the first bite. By comparing the 2 readings you get an idea of how well your metabolism has coped with the carbohydrates involved once the ‘second phase’ insulin has been released. Ideally you'd want the meal rise to be no more than 2-3mmol/L, and ultimately, once your levels have begun to come down you’d want to be 8.5mmol/L or lower at the 2hr mark amd 4-7mmol/L before meals.

I agree with @everydayupsanddowns about using a glucose monitor with finger prick testing as that is a cheaper option and I think people often over react to the information the CGM like the Libre gives.
You need to let your body adjust to what needs to become a new normal way of eating and that may not happen within a 2 week trial period.
Also whilst your level may still be quite high as you are only at the start of making changes, the Libre is less reliable.

Welcome to the forum @Jan1956

Sounds like you’ve made some positive changes to your menu to help with your blood glucose management. Well done! :starstruck:

I can understand why you are interested in checking your glucose levels to see how your metabolism is coping with your adjusted menu - especially since reactions to the same foods can vary so much from person to person.

We do have some T2 members who opt for a CGM like Libre2 or Dexcom1, but as you say they are very expensive, and are most often used by people with diabetes who are using insulin to manage their glucose levels, where the additional level of detail and 24/7 tracking of levels can be very helpful.

Most of our T2 members who find self-monitoring helpful, choose to use pairs of fingerstick checks before and after meals to see the effect of different meals, foods, and sources of carbohydrates on their blood glucose, but perhaps in a slightly less obtrusive ‘big brother’ way than CGM. You can take a reading immediately before a meal, and again 2hrs after the first bite. By comparing the 2 readings you get an idea of how well your metabolism has coped with the carbohydrates involved once the ‘second phase’ insulin has been released. Ideally you'd want the meal rise to be no more than 2-3mmol/L, and ultimately, once your levels have begun to come down you’d want to be 8.5mmol/L or lower at the 2hr mark amd 4-7mmol/L before meals.
Thanks you for the useful advice. I will take all this on board. I do envisage a finger prick monitor is going to be more realistic for long term management, although I’m going to need to get my head around the numbers before and after meals and the percentages I’m seeking to achieve as it feels a bit foreign at the moment ! However, I’ve also just stumbled across a feee trial for the libre2 so I might also take advantage of this as a comparison as well.

I agree with @everydayupsanddowns about using a glucose monitor with finger prick testing as that is a cheaper option and I think people often over react to the information the CGM like the Libre gives.
You need to let your body adjust to what needs to become a new normal way of eating and that may not happen within a 2 week trial period.
Also whilst your level may still be quite high as you are only at the start of making changes, the Libre is less reliable.
Thank you for your reply , you make some valid points as I do tend to expect too much too soon!

Thanks you for the useful advice. I will take all this on board. I do envisage a finger prick monitor is going to be more realistic for long term management, although I’m going to need to get my head around the numbers before and after meals and the percentages I’m seeking to achieve as it feels a bit foreign at the moment ! However, I’ve also just stumbled across a feee trial for the libre2 so I might also take advantage of this as a comparison as well.

Yes it’s certainly worth giving the Libre2 trial a go. As I said, we do have some T2s who choose to self fund Libre as it works best for them - so it’ll be interesting for you to see what it’s like.

Conversely, some people find the larger amount of data flowing from a CGM a bit overwhelming…

So really it’s choosing the right tools for you 🙂

Hi all.
Glad to have found Diabetes UK of which I’ve now become a member!
I’ve very recently been diagnosed as T2 diabetic after struggling for a number of years in the pre diabetic range. My Hba1c was 57 on diagnosis. The Hba1c reading 6 months earlier was 44. I’ve definitely let things slide, so although I felt shocked I was expecting it as I’d started to feel symptoms - occasional burry vision, thirst and a real hunger for sweet foods.
I asked my GP to be given a month to try and reduce my Hba1c count a little (I’m now on a Low Carb diet ) before retesting and I’m trying SO hard to follow a low carb plan but unsure if I’m getting it right?. I get retested at the end of Sept.
The GP has given me NO information, nor does she think a glucose monitor is necessary.
Personally, I really think a monitor would help me understand how food is affecting my body and glucose levels.
So,firstly, I’m looking at buying a 2 week continuous glucose monitor. I have seen the freestyle monitor and one called lingo? Very Pricey! but I want to do the best thing for my body and I think they might be easier for me than. Finger prick one.

Can I ask your advice about getting a CGG? Would it help me to keep track and help me understand when I’m spiking and foods that are causing this?
I admit to feeling scared, as I have a family history of T2 and my close relatives have died with diabetes related conditions.

I’m currently trying to eat a low carbs diet ,with no potatoes or bread, mainly eating protein and salads. I am fasting at breakfast.
(for 5 weeks or so ) as I understand a fasting window could help kick start the insulin. I’ve loosely followed the Michael Moseley plan so far because the recipe books are easy to follow . But happy for other advice here . I’ve bought a book called the Glucose Revolution but haven’t got far with that yet. I’m finding everything a bit overwhelming.
The Dr wanted to put me on Meds at my last appt. to control the diabetes but I’ve asked for more time ( a month before retesting) to try myself to lower the count a little myself ( I realise it won’t be dramatic in a month but it would be an indicator that I’m on the right path)
But now I keep wondering what damage I’m doing while I’m not taking meds to control this and whether I should just go on the meds?
At the moment I am getting occasional hot flushes and occasional fast heart beat for a few seconds then goes ok. Is this related to diabetes? I’m no longer getting blurry vision or thirst.
The Dr will review me at the beginning of October.

The other thing I’m totally CLUELESS about is what type of milk I should be drinking? I drink a lot of decaf tea with skimmed milk - can anyone kindly advise me on the best alternative for skimmed milk? Or is skimmed milk ok?
Any help gratefully appreciated especially regarding monitors and dietary advice .
Many thanks.
Hello. Welcome to the forum. Our stories sound quite similar. I was pre-diabetic (hba1c 42) for two years then tipped into full type 2 this year (hba1c 52). I'm trying 3 months without meds and having my hba1c (and cholesterol as its also a little raised) rechecked in November.
It's a bit bewildering when you first start. I've opted for a low carb approach (as advocated by the Freshwell App - which is another place to start, like this forum, if you're interested in low carb) and I do 16:8 fasting. I'm finger pricking (just buy the strips and lancets from Amazon) and its really helpful to know what foods affect me and which ones I can eat safely.
As to the flushes - if its not impertinent to ask, could they be menopause related? I sometimes find it hard to differentiate between diabetes and perimenopause symptoms!

Hello. Welcome to the forum. Our stories sound quite similar. I was pre-diabetic (hba1c 42) for two years then tipped into full type 2 this year (hba1c 52). I'm trying 3 months without meds and having my hba1c (and cholesterol as its also a little raised) rechecked in November.
It's a bit bewildering when you first start. I've opted for a low carb approach (as advocated by the Freshwell App - which is another place to start, like this forum, if you're interested in low carb) and I do 16:8 fasting. I'm finger pricking (just buy the strips and lancets from Amazon) and its really helpful to know what foods affect me and which ones I can eat safely.
As to the flushes - if its not impertinent to ask, could they be menopause related? I sometimes find it hard to differentiate between diabetes and perimenopause symptoms!
Thanks for the message of support and advice . Yes sounds like we have similar journey's! My cholesterol was raised initially too but I’m now on statins which have brought everything into balance.
Can I ask what your fasting BG count is please? I tested mine for the first time this morning and it was 7.3 which seems really high and worried me - for a fast period, but as I’ve had no advice from my GP I’m unsure what is realistic. I’ve posted a question about this separately on the general site as I haven’t a clue about the BG parameters and I can already feel myself getting overwhelmed which makes me want to stop eating out of fear which isn’t healthy either!
I don’t mind you asking, however, I’m well past the menopause now but have to say the symptoms of the flushes felt very similar.
Good luck on your journey!

Thank you for replying. That’s very helpful thanks and interesting and as you say glucose responses is individual to each of us. I had thought porridge oats would be a slower release so interesting to learn of your spike . Rye bread is something I haven’t thought about, so worth me trying. Can I ask if you found the monitor easy to apply to your arm? Did it last and stay in place for two weeks? I have a daily shower and noticed on some of the reviews that people have had difficulty keeping them in place?
In order to get a free initial trial did you go direct to the company online?
Hope you continue to have success with your new eating regime. Good luck.
Hi. The monitor was really easy to apply and there are you tube videos to help. The first one malfunctioned after 5 days so I was sent a replacement and it has been fine, stayed firm in plane despite daily showers. Hardly noticed it's there. I think I went direct to the company to get the first free one. Good luck!

Hi. The monitor was really easy to apply and there are you tube videos to help. The first one malfunctioned after 5 days so I was sent a replacement and it has been fine, stayed firm in plane despite daily showers. Hardly noticed it's there. I think I went direct to the company to get the first free one. Good luck!
Thank you. Helpful to know

Thanks for the message of support and advice . Yes sounds like we have similar journey's! My cholesterol was raised initially too but I’m now on statins which have brought everything into balance.
Can I ask what your fasting BG count is please? I tested mine for the first time this morning and it was 7.3 which seems really high and worried me - for a fast period, but as I’ve had no advice from my GP I’m unsure what is realistic. I’ve posted a question about this separately on the general site as I haven’t a clue about the BG parameters and I can already feel myself getting overwhelmed which makes me want to stop eating out of fear which isn’t healthy either!
I don’t mind you asking, however, I’m well past the menopause now but have to say the symptoms of the flushes felt very similar.
Good luck on your journey!
Mine is usually higher too. It was 6.8 yesterday and 6.7 today.
There's a thing people on here talk about called 'the Dawn phenomenon' - sometimes called affectionately here 'foot on the floor'. When we aren't eating overnight, our livers sometimes 'dump' glucose into our bodies to get us ready for the day and it shows up as a raised fasting blood sugar. From what I can gather on here, fasting blood sugars are often the last to improve when we make changes.
I fast and it continues to help me so I don't worry too much (my fasting bloods haven't been really high just higher than my others) but some people find eating a non carb breakfast 'switches off' this glucose surge in a morning.
I (sometimes) find that exercise the night before can help to lower my fasting BG. Poor sleep raises it. Alcohol lowers it (because of how the liver manages alcohol) although I don't recommend getting sozzled as diabetes management strategy!
There's a lovely thread on here where people post their morning readings and plans for the day. It's quite helpful to see what everyone else is getting and, of course, there are people on there who give helpful suggestions about managing blood sugar first thing!

Back