Help re my blood pressure medication and my glucose levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottie Lottie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Around six months ago developed issues with my blood pressure being high. I was put on Lorsatan which did help but seven weeks ago I had Bendrofluethiaside 2.5mg prescribed as blood pressure still a bit high which has made a difference to my BP which is now normal. Unfortunately I have noticed that my Blood glucose has been rising and I am waiting on appointment with diabetic nurse which is easier to get an appointment. Has anyone else had issues with blood pressure medications and blood glucose rising? My bloods in morning usually 8.00to 8.05 they are now 12.05 to 14.3 which I’ve never had. ( I have read that the bendroflumethiazide can raise BG levels) Thank you.

Around six months ago developed issues with my blood pressure being high. I was put on Lorsatan which did help but seven weeks ago I had Bendrofluethiaside 2.5mg prescribed as blood pressure still a bit high which has made a difference to my BP which is now normal. Unfortunately I have noticed that my Blood glucose has been rising and I am waiting on appointment with diabetic nurse which is easier to get an appointment. Has anyone else had issues with blood pressure medications and blood glucose rising? My bloods in morning usually 8.00to 8.05 they are now 12.05 to 14.3 which I’ve never had. ( I have read that the bendroflumethiazide can raise BG levels) Thank you.
That medication is a diuretic and can raise blood glucose but what you are experiencing sound to be quite a lot. This explains why.
Diuretics can also cause some metabolic alterations which can prove harmful. Basically, diuretics can affect glucose levels in the blood because they impair glucose metabolism. When the body cannot break down glucose as it should, the glucose level in the blood rises.
Definitely worth a chat with your diabetic nurse as there may be an alternative medication which wouldn't have that effect.
It can also upset your electrolyte balance.

I am on Bendrofluethiaside 2.5mg, but the reason I was put on it was by my cardiologist because I have Aortic Stenosis. In my case he said this drug was far better for me than Losartan which I had been on since 2019 for my blood pressure. It is an excellent drug, but far better now that I am on Bendrofluethiaside 2.5mg. At some point if I agree which I probably won’t, he wants me to have open heart surgery to replace the aortic valve.

Hope you are able to book an appointment to chat things through with your diabetes nurse @Scottie Lottie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back