Help, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

moy

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Hi all!
I recently became a member of Diabetes UK and have enjoyed trying some of the recipes which I saved. I had it all bookmarked on my old computer which gave up the ghost yesterday.
I'm now trying to find my account and save stuff but can't seem to do it. I'm wondering if the new computer is the problem - although I have no problem accessing the forum.

Can anyone advise me, please?
xx Moy

Hi moy, great to have you on the forum.

Just to clarify, when you say you bookmarked the posts, did you bookmark it from the site or did you bookmark it on your computer?

If they were on your computer, you would need to have transferred your bookmarks over to the new comp or have saved them on a 'syncable' browser like Chrome.

If you've bookmarked them on the site the you'll find them at the top right where your name is placed. Once you click on your name, it should offer a tab where you can view your bookmarks.

Good morning, Cherrelle. Thanks for your helpful reply. I realised my computer bookmarks had all gone, but the ones I lost were the 'save for later' ones that show up on the Diabetes UK website pages. In particular, all my saved recipes had gone.
In the end, I put my details in again and started from scratch.
What was bothering me a bit was that I couldn't find anything relating to my membership account.
I think I have it sorted now and so will check it out again later. I will do as you suggest and, hopefully, all will be OK.

TThank you again for taking the time to reply. Xx Moy

@moy If you can’t find your membership account, admin here might be able to help you. Let me tag @Cherrelle DUK for you and @everydayupsanddowns too.

I sympathise. I got a new computer and it was like starting over again. Hopefully sorting your Diabetes U.K. account will be simple.

Sorry to hear you have been having trouble tracking down your saved recipes @moy :(

Were you clicking the ‘save’ and ‘folder’ buttons in the recipe section on the main Diabetes UK website, and then accessing them via ‘Diabetes and Me’?

As I understand it those recipes are saved and catalogued using browser cookies (which is very convenient as it means you don’t need to create a log-in for the main site.

Unfortunately, as you have discovered, in case of a PC failure, unless you have a back-up of your browser history, it can be that the saved recipes may only ‘live’ on your old computer.

As @Cherrelle DUK says, some browsers allow you to create ‘identities’ where bookmarks etc can be shared across multiple devices (so you might see the same tabs/favourites/log-ins on your smartphone or tablet as well as your PC). I’m not sure whether a feature like that might have helped you if the favourite recipes were stored in cookies, but it seems possible.

Hopefully it won’t be too difficult to track down your favourite recipes again, and maybe perhaps you’ll find some lovely new ones along the way? 🙂

@moy If you can’t find your membership account, admin here might be able to help you. Let me tag @Cherrelle DUK for you and @everydayupsanddowns too.

I sympathise. I got a new computer and it was like starting over again. Hopefully sorting your Diabetes U.K. account will be simple.
Thank you Inka.
I think the problem was because I had bookmarked on my old computer and none of my bookmarks transferred across. I think I'm ok now. I just started from scratch again!
xx Moy

Sorry to hear you have been having trouble tracking down your saved recipes @moy :(

Were you clicking the ‘save’ and ‘folder’ buttons in the recipe section on the main Diabetes UK website, and then accessing them via ‘Diabetes and Me’?

As I understand it those recipes are saved and catalogued using browser cookies (which is very convenient as it means you don’t need to create a log-in for the main site.

Unfortunately, as you have discovered, in case of a PC failure, unless you have a back-up of your browser history, it can be that the saved recipes may only ‘live’ on your old computer.

As @Cherrelle DUK says, some browsers allow you to create ‘identities’ where bookmarks etc can be shared across multiple devices (so you might see the same tabs/favourites/log-ins on your smartphone or tablet as well as your PC). I’m not sure whether a feature like that might have helped you if the favourite recipes were stored in cookies, but it seems possible.

Hopefully it won’t be too difficult to track down your favourite recipes again, and maybe perhaps you’ll find some lovely new ones along the way? 🙂
Thank you. I think what you say is exactly what has happened. The good news is that I didn't have too many recipes to lose as I'm quite new, and I've been able to find them again now. It took a bit of time, but at least I have them again. The thing is, I intended to try some of them this week and so had a lot of odd items delivered with my shopping order so that I could have everything to hand. Without knowing what the recipes were, I had all manner of herbs waiting to be used and also one very large leek! I will only be using a very little bit of it. I think whoever chose it from the selection onll offer was having a bit of a laugh! At least I now know what to do with it - it's to go with the pork escalopes that the butcher cut specially for me so I would have the correct weight. Lol! All ok now. xx Moy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back