Help, Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JS3737

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed with Type 2 several years ago. I was put on 3 500mg. Metformin per day. This was reduced to 2 and then 1. When I commented to my usual GP that if it was controlled with one tablet, many of the relevant websites suggest that it isn't really Type 2 at all. She told me 'off the record' that she thought it was probably glucose intolerance, but the treatment was the same. When I told her that when I had gone to the hospital for the glucose blood tests, the glucose drink which they gave me ran straight through within five minutes, she said 'well that confirms it'. However, they will not change the official diagnosis as this would leave the original doctor open to legal action. My query is not about the Metformin, even though they appear to be getting harder to swallow. It is about the diabetic foot check and the diabetic eye screening. I believe that these could be a waste of time if I haven't got diabetes, especially as the cataract in one eye is now preventing the image from showing anything. Please could you let me have your views. Thanks.

What do you mean by “the glucose drink ran through within 5 minutes”? Your blood glucose isn’t usually checked 5 minutes after the drink it’s usually a couple of hours afterwards. What were the results?

Whatever your glucose levels are now, it’s important to continue going to the eye and feet checks. Detecting problems early is the best way of reducing risk of complications.

Lucyr,

Thanks for replying. I'm sorry if my wording was unclear, but I was trying to avoid getting too explicit. What I meant by 'ran through' was that I had to run to the toilet within five minutes of drinking the stuff, even though, as you say, it was another two hours before the second blood test. I don't know what the level was except that it was twice what it should have been, even though the level of the original blood test was only very slightly higher than normal.

I don't know what the level was except that it was twice what it should have been

It sounds like you have your answer then. As @grovesy says, terminology can vary over the years, but if your oral glucose tolerance test came out high, then you clearly had an issue. If your run to the toilet was to pee, that would also be a sign of high sugar (frequent urination).

Have you had a recent HbA1C blood test?

Inka,

Thanks for your reply. In answer to your question, it wasn't to pee. And I have no idea what an HbA1C blood test is, although I have been having regular blood tests - all OK.

Inka,

Thanks for your reply. In answer to your question, it wasn't to pee. And I have no idea what an HbA1C blood test is, although I have been having regular blood tests - all OK.

Ah, ok re the toilet thing. That shouldn’t have affected your test that day.

The HbA1C test is both a diagnostic test for diabetes and a monitoring test to see how well you’re doing. If I was you, I’d contact your surgery and get the results of your last couple of HbA1C tests. You can then see whether you’re at a diabetes level, a pre-diabetes level or a non-diabetic level.

Hi. Yes it's important that you know what your last HBA1C blood test result was so you can discuss that with the GP if it is in the diabetic range. Ask to be added for access to your surgeries online system so you can see any results yourself. 'Glucose intolerance' as another poster has said is now replaced by 'Pre-diabetes' but mean you are on the way to having 'Diabetes'. The best way to help is to keep the Carbs down in your diet.

Lucyr,

Thanks for replying. I'm sorry if my wording was unclear, but I was trying to avoid getting too explicit. What I meant by 'ran through' was that I had to run to the toilet within five minutes of drinking the stuff, even though, as you say, it was another two hours before the second blood test. I don't know what the level was except that it was twice what it should have been, even though the level of the original blood test was only very slightly higher than normal.
Going to the toilet 5 minutes after a large drink does not tell you whether you have diabetes or not. The only thing that tells you if you have diabetes is the blood glucose levels. If yours were twice what they should have been then yes you have diabetes and it is important that you go to the checkups even if your blood sugars are good now.

Thanks very much to all those who offered advice. I certainly won't feel like a fraud anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back