1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

Help Please!

Discussion in 'General Messageboard' started by Jojo catwoman, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Jojo catwoman

Jojo catwoman Active Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 2
    Hi All

I really hope someone can advise me please? Last Monday, I had the usual eye injection for Diabetic Retinopathy, at the local hospital. I have had this several times before. This time, there was a young trainee who was being supervised by the usual consultant. When he injected my right eye, it was painful for the first time ever and my eye began to bleed. This has never happened before. Now 6 days later my eye isn't at all painful, but is still dark red. I don't think my sight is affected.
    I am now really depressed and worried as to when my eye will return to normal. Has this ever happened to anyone and what was the outcome? I am due to go back in November to have both eyes done again and don't want to return. Previously. I had no problems with this treatment.

I would be very grateful if anyone can help.

2. Pumper_Sue

Pumper_Sue Well-Known Member

Type 1
    You need to ring the eye dept for clarification and reassurance. You can also request that only a certain member of staff does the injection.

3. Jojo catwoman

Type 2
    Thanks for your reply Pumper_Sue, I did call up the following day and the Receptionist sounded shocked. She said the Consultant would call me back but he never did. I did not realise that the trainee was actually going to do the injection until he was doing it.
    To be honest, I am quite angry and depressed about this. Also scared, I don't know what to do other than phone them again. I have got so much going on with my health at the moment. I went out today for the first time and felt so awful as if people were looking at me.

4. everydayupsanddowns

everydayupsanddowns Moderator

Type 1
    Sorry to hear about your experience @Jojo catwoman

Hope you get to speak to the consultant soon and get reassurance. I also hope that the bleed clears up really soon.

You might call NHS 111 in the meantime if you are worried about your vision, or notice any changes to your vision.

5. Jojo catwoman

Type 2
    Thank you everyday. I will call the hospital this week again. I don't feel it's a very good service and this has really knocked my faith in them. I was hoping someone on here had had a similar experience. No one seems to have heard of this before.

everydayupsanddowns likes this.
  6. mikeyB

mikeyB Well-Known Member

Type 1
    It sounds like a sub conjunctival haemorrhage, caused by the needle breaking a blood vessel in the surface of the eye. It’s nothing to worry about, they can happen if you sneeze. If there’s no pain now, and your sight isn’t affected, that makes it almost certain. I’m sure that’s what they will tell you when you ring. For sure, it’s disconcerting but it’s completely harmless. It’s bad luck, not inexperience.

It goes away naturally, but slowly. No need for any treatment.

rebrascora and Kaylz like this.
  7. Jojo catwoman

Type 2
    Hi Mike

Thank you so much for this advice. I am relieved to say the least. Think I will sleep very much better tonight.

Bless you.