Help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scook

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello

I've been a type 1 for 22 years and I got a freestyle libre 2 at the end of August. At first, it was amazing but I've jad nothing but trouble with the last 4: they've either fallen off or given false readings or sensor error.
When it is working my bloods are SO up and down and I can't seem to reason why. I'm so frustrated and downhearted because I want to get better control.

Does anyone have any tips on sensor placement, stabilising bloods or hope that it might get better :(

Welcome to the forum @Scook

Sorry to hear you have had a bit of a run of duff sensors

I had very few fails in all the years I used Libre (started just pre-launch in 2014).

Have you reported the failures? I think its helpful for Abbott to know how many fails there are in different batches.

Back of the arm is the only approved spot for Libre, but remember to be careful in the first 12-24 hours. it seems to take a while for the adhesive to reach full strength, so I’d try to avoid any undue movement, and keep sweat / water exposure to a minimum.

In terms of using the data from Libre to make improvements and tweaks to your management approaches - you are right in that the amount of information can be a bit overwhelming.

Have you ever been on a course like DAFNE? Or have you come across books like ‘think like a pancreas’? Those might give you some practical pointers or strategies you could try?

Alternatively, some members say they have found the Abbott education resources very helpful. Or alternatively there were a (slightly earlier?) set of videos by Diabetes Technology Network, with a number of notable and respected consultants and DSNs sharing their hints and tips (and me bumbling through an intro video :rofl: )

I had a run of 3 sensors which all started reporting dodgy numbers after a few days, thankfully I've then had a run of sensors which were ok until I swapped out one yesterday which still had 6 days to run as it was reporting 2.8 while my actual finger prick blood glucose was 8.5. I contacted them and they are replacing it and taking the old one back to analyse.

I don't tend to have them fall off, but I do now apply some micropore tape across the top of the sensor and around my bicep to prevent it peeling up at the edge too much (I now cut a hole for the vent too!) - there are adhesive patches available too, lots of threads on here about both failures and patches/ways to prevent them falling off.

Do you keep a food log, might be worth doing so - e.g. using the app to capture carbs and insulin. I found the libre data was so much more useful once I could line up carbs and insulin with the response (using XDrip+ in my case, but the libre app also allows logging I understand so worth starting with)

Keep at it, let us know how you're getting on and ask for help with the analysis, etc., we all have an opinion we'll offer whether you want them or not! 🙂

I had the same trouble with Libre, the first few were fantastic then nothing but trouble. Ive only ever had one fall off, the last bad one I had was in May I was getting compression lows by just sitting down. I will not phone up for replacement anymore, only if the sensor fails completely with an error code. Trial and error has found the best places on each arm for placement and best readings. I used to have break from Libre as I found it getting a little stressful but its been ok since May. I was lucky enough to try Dexcom but chose to stick with Libre.

Try and stick with it, the more data your Endocrinologist and DSN can see the more they can help you get back in control and do take a break from Libre if its getting to much, you have managed with out it for 22 years a week or two more wont matter.

I had the same trouble with Libre, the first few were fantastic then nothing but trouble. Ive only ever had one fall off, the last bad one I had was in May I was getting compression lows by just sitting down. I will not phone up for replacement anymore, only if the sensor fails completely with an error code. Trial and error has found the best places on each arm for placement and best readings. I used to have break from Libre as I found it getting a little stressful but its been ok since May. I was lucky enough to try Dexcom but chose to stick with Libre.

Try and stick with it, the more data your Endocrinologist and DSN can see the more they can help you get back in control and do take a break from Libre if its getting to much, you have managed with out it for 22 years a week or two more wont matter.
I think you should report if there are problems as the more complaints there are the more likely they are to address the issues and secondarily the NHS shouldn't be funding faulty sensors or poor performance.

I returned 3 once with a letter and got no reply, I have no doubt once they are scanned in as returned they are incenerated or sent back to China to be gound up into e waste.

I returned 3 once with a letter and got no reply, I have no doubt once they are scanned in as returned they are incenerated or sent back to China to be gound up into e waste.
Did you return three upon request of Abbott using the clinical waste bags they provided or did you place three items of clinical waste into an envelope?
I only return sensors when requested but always report failures because, as @rebrascora mentioned, the NHS should not be funding faulty items. It is a waste of their very limited funds.
Abbott don't even pretend to investigate every failure but I have never known them not to replace sensors when reported correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back