Help Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrissybull6

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My 17yo T1 son has just attended a DVSA site to undertake his theory driving test. He arrived straight from sports college so had a large sport holdall with him. When he checked in, he was told to place his bag in lockers provided. The bag was too big for the locker. When he explained that the bag contained vital medication for T1 diabetes, and asked if the staff could look after the bag at reception, he was told he would have to leave the bag in a locker - even though the door would not close.

This is in Liverpool City Centre!! (I'm from Liverpool, so not a slight on the city but no-one would leave such a bag unattended in a busy public space). My son explained a few times but the staff were ignorant to hsi condition and the consequences of the bag, containing insulin and hypo treatments going missing.

He's had to leave the premises and has lost his slot and money.

Does anyone have any advice please? This is surely discrimanatory?

My 17yo T1 son has just attended a DVSA site to undertake his theory driving test. He arrived straight from sports college so had a large sport holdall with him. When he checked in, he was told to place his bag in lockers provided. The bag was too big for the locker. When he explained that the bag contained vital medication for T1 diabetes, and asked if the staff could look after the bag at reception, he was told he would have to leave the bag in a locker - even though the door would not close.

This is in Liverpool City Centre!! (I'm from Liverpool, so not a slight on the city but no-one would leave such a bag unattended in a busy public space). My son explained a few times but the staff were ignorant to hsi condition and the consequences of the bag, containing insulin and hypo treatments going missing.

He's had to leave the premises and has lost his slot and money.

Does anyone have any advice please? This is surely discrimanatory?

Hello @Chrissybull6 ,

Thank you for your post and I am so sorry to hear about your son's driving test. It sounds very unfair that he also lost his money and slot. We have a self empowerment service at Diabetes UK where we could support you. If can give us a call or if you want, you could give us some details where we can speak to you? Please let us know when you can.

Thanks Josh - what is the best way for us to contact each other? I'm T1 myself so a pretty annoyed Dad right now!
Best would be to contact our helpline 0345 123 2399. I have informed my colleague about the situation.

Could he not have taken the valuables and insulin out of the bag and locked them in the locker? Then put the bag that wouldn’t fit in an unlocked locker.

The instructions are pretty clear when you book the test that you will need to put your things in a locker so think this is down to him not reading it properly https://www.gov.uk/theory-test/what-to-take

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back