help needed

michymoomoo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi people,
i have recently posted here regarding Hepatitis E.
I unfortunately have contracted this virus. It has made me pretty unwell, m y liver function enzymes are slowly coming down. A few weeks ago at the beginning of this Hep episode, all medications were stopped to give the liver a rest, this included Metformin. Last week I was prescribed Dapagliforzin. I am started on the 5mg and will I guess go up to 10mg in time.
I have been checking my blood sugars and trying to stick to a low carb diet, feeling pretty miserable. I am unsure if it is a combo of the Hep E and diabetes which i making me feel so bad. Today I have checked my blood sugars and they have been under 8, however I have felt weak, hearts been banging out my chest and at one point I thought I was going to black out. I have not been back to the GP as she has heard my heart and I am to have an ecg this coming Thursday. My question is, this evening I had some unrefined carbs, with my supper,
my 2 hour post prandial reading is 13.2. My question is , is this a high number that I should worry. When would a high number be too high ? Would any one here think it is reason to call 111 ? Thanks in advance for any help

Hi people,
i have recently posted here regarding Hepatitis E.
I unfortunately have contracted this virus. It has made me pretty unwell, m y liver function enzymes are slowly coming down. A few weeks ago at the beginning of this Hep episode, all medications were stopped to give the liver a rest, this included Metformin. Last week I was prescribed Dapagliforzin. I am started on the 5mg and will I guess go up to 10mg in time.
I have been checking my blood sugars and trying to stick to a low carb diet, feeling pretty miserable. I am unsure if it is a combo of the Hep E and diabetes which i making me feel so bad. Today I have checked my blood sugars and they have been under 8, however I have felt weak, hearts been banging out my chest and at one point I thought I was going to black out. I have not been back to the GP as she has heard my heart and I am to have an ecg this coming Thursday. My question is, this evening I had some unrefined carbs, with my supper,
my 2 hour post prandial reading is 13.2. My question is , is this a high number that I should worry. When would a high number be too high ? Would any one here think it is reason to call 111 ? Thanks in advance for any help
It is high and proof that the amount of carbs you had has not nee tolerated too well, however the medication should encourage you kidneys to excrete that excess glucose so make sure you drink plenty and you should see it come down. It is worth keeping a check on it and if you feel unwell then call 111 for advice.
If you have any urine ketone test strips then use those to check as high glucose and ketones are a danger sign but I think at 13 it should be OK.
You may be suffering from false hypo symptoms as if your blood glucose had been high and you are now seeing more normal levels of 8 and below it can be the body adjusting so eating foods which are pushing them up again will not help your body get used to being lower.

It is high and proof that the amount of carbs you had has not nee tolerated too well, however the medication should encourage you kidneys to excrete that excess glucose so make sure you drink plenty and you should see it come down. It is worth keeping a check on it and if you feel unwell then call 111 for advice.
If you have any urine ketone test strips then use those to check as high glucose and ketones are a danger sign but I think at 13 it should be OK.
You may be suffering from false hypo symptoms as if your blood glucose had been high and you are now seeing more normal levels of 8 and below it can be the body adjusting so eating foods which are pushing them up again will not help your body get used to being lower.Thanks for this reply, I will drink plenty. I will recheck blood glucose in a short while. If going down , then I will get keto sticks on order.Regards michey.m

Sorry to hear you had such an unpleasant episode yesterday. It would have been useful if you had tested your BG levels when you felt unwell. Was that before or after a meal and if after, what was the meal? Just wondering if it might have been a false hypo. This is where BG levels go unusually high after a meal because the insulin response is slow and then they come hurtling back down when your pancreas does release insulin to tackle the high and that sudden drop can cause an adrenaline rush which makes the heart pound and can cause you to feel like you are going to pass out and in extreme cases can make you pass out. You usually sweat too. If you feel like that again, do a finger prick test at the time as that will give you a better idea if this is diabetes related or something else. BG levels rise and fall throughout the day and night quite significantly, so having a testing strategy is useful in order to make sense of the data you get. A one off reading of 8 doesn't tell you much. It is a bit high for a fasting reading (target is 4-7 before meals) but OK for a post meal reading, depending upon how long after the meal it was. More than 2 hours and it is a bit high 4 hours and it is definitely too high.
It is always advisable to test if you feel unwell.

You may be suffering from false hypo symptoms as if your blood glucose had been high and you are now seeing more normal levels of 8 and below it can be the body adjusting so eating foods which are pushing them up again will not help your body get used to being lower.

Sorry to hear you had such an unpleasant episode yesterday. It would have been useful if you had tested your BG levels when you felt unwell. Was that before or after a meal and if after, what was the meal? Just wondering if it might have been a false hypo. This is where BG levels go unusually high after a meal because the insulin response is slow and then they come hurtling back down when your pancreas does release insulin to tackle the high and that sudden drop can cause an adrenaline rush which makes the heart pound and can cause you to feel like you are going to pass out and in extreme cases can make you pass out. You usually sweat too. If you feel like that again, do a finger prick test at the time as that will give you a better idea if this is diabetes related or something else. BG levels rise and fall throughout the day and night quite significantly, so having a testing strategy is useful in order to make sense of the data you get. A one off reading of 8 doesn't tell you much. It is a bit high for a fasting reading (target is 4-7 before meals) but OK for a post meal reading, depending upon how long after the meal it was. More than 2 hours and it is a bit high 4 hours and it is definitely too high.
It is always advisable to test if you feel unwell.

thank you for that information, I tested at 9 a couple of hours after the high reading, I drank lots of water and had a good night's sleep. On waking my blood sugar was 6.2. All results today have been within limits. Yesterday's lunch was not carb-heavy, I am trying very hard to eat low-carb whilst I am starting this new diabetes medication. I am not yet on the full dose. I had tested fine post-prandial before going out yesterday for a short walk, this is when I became concerned, I just felt so weary and honestly how I did not black out I have no idea, rest did not improve. It's all such a muddle, I thought well perhaps I am just not eating enough carbs. This was the only reason I had a wholemeal bagel, the thin ones, a filling of cream cheese and a little salmon, I was not expecting a whopping 13mmol blood sugar.
I think it really would be a good idea for me to test if ever this happens again. Thank you for raising the possibility it might have been this kind of hypo. I will concern this matter with diabetic nurse/GP next week

It's totally normal to feel bad when you're sick, especially with Hep E and diabetes "so sorry" :(. Your body needs a break to heal from stuff like this.

Talk to ur doctor about those blood sugar readings. They'll know what's best for u.

It's totally normal to feel bad when you're sick, especially with Hep E and diabetes "so sorry" :(. Your body needs a break to heal from stuff like this.

Talk to ur doctor about those blood sugar readings. They'll know what's best for u.
Thank you. Yes this is very true. I tend to forget diabetes is enough for body to deal with let alone a horrible liver infection.
Thankyou

Back