help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basten

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
i was 41 nearly pre. i am eating too many cakes and pastries and ready meals. fat is around stomach mostly . where can u fund good info on here ..went on holiday cake pastries icecream everyday .

Do you mean you’re finding it hard not to binge on those sweet foods @Basten ? What information do you want?

i was 41 nearly pre. i am eating too many cakes and pastries and ready meals. fat is around stomach mostly . where can u fund good info on here ..went on holiday cake pastries icecream everyday .
Hello @Basten ,

It may help to look over some of our recipe pages and on our website to find alternative healthy sweets. Is it possible to substitute some of the food you eat with a different variety of fruits?

Last edited:
thankyou all..yes i am finding it hard..i had also a chat to the organisation who have also sent me links..Much obliged to everyone

To stop your glucose levels increasing the best thing you can do for yourself is to cut out the cakes, biscuits, unless they are from low carb or keto recipes, sugary drinks and high carb savoury snacks and that may well be sufficient, but a good ideas to watch your portions of the other high carb foods.
The biggest hurdle is identifying what are the high carb foods as some can be a surprise.
The biggest hitters are potatoes, rice, pasta, pastry, breakfast cereals and tropical fruits.
The book or app Carbs and Cals is a good resource as it gives carb values of a whole range of portion sizes of many foods, then of course there are packets etc and the internet. You want to be looking at carbs not just sugar.
If you cut or reduce those things you will find you do not really want the sweet stuff anymore.

@Martin62 makes low carb treats. I’ve done a search for you so you can see some of his delicious-looking baking:

https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/search/180347/?q=Cakes&c[users]=Martin62&o=date

Hopefully that link will work for you, but if it doesn’t you can access his posts by clicking on his profile.

To stop your glucose levels increasing the best thing you can do for yourself is to cut out the cakes, biscuits, unless they are from low carb or keto recipes, sugary drinks and high carb savoury snacks and that may well be sufficient, but a good ideas to watch your portions of the other high carb foods.
The biggest hurdle is identifying what are the high carb foods as some can be a surprise.
The biggest hitters are potatoes, rice, pasta, pastry, breakfast cereals and tropical fruits.
The book or app Carbs and Cals is a good resource as it gives carb values of a whole range of portion sizes of many foods, then of course there are packets etc and the internet. You want to be looking at carbs not just sugar.
If you cut or reduce those things you will find you do not really want the sweet stuff anymore.

oh thankyou. i try hard not now to eat cake sweet pastries. I rarely eat biscuits. but if i buy 2 pastries i end up eating both . i eat them and say to my self stop you'll have a heart attack!!! if my visits and sees them he asks why have you brought these..i went through a bad phase at xmas buying and eatung boxes of mince pies. then at Easter packets of hot cross buns .id eat all 6 !! you can see i have a bad addictive nature. the only fruit i eat is a banana. after 2 leg ops in 2 weeks i bought ready meals which i know have ridiculous ingredients . like vegetarian pasta bake.. i rarely pasta before. i rarely eat bread . if i now cook its usually just white fish leeka and courgettes . hardly any spuds . i cant eat salad as takes ages to chew few teeth !! i live alone and hate cooking ... thankyou i will try havinf a sweer tooth is ok but just not like me. i also suffer from depression a lot. good days bad days as hate livinf alone just one friend who may take me out and of course my grown kids who im lucky to have and take me out when free.

how many carbs per day should we have?
If you are trying to reduce blood glucose from a level where you would be diagnosed as diabetic, that is over 47mmol/mol then the suggested amount of carbs is no more than 130g carbs per day, but you can perhaps be more relaxed on that just not 2 pastries or 6 hot cross buns.
By careful choice of ready meals then they are not too bad.
Have you tried things like mashed swede, butternut squash or cauliflower as you can add grated cheese. Eggs are quick and easy meals with mushrooms added.
Things made with mince beef as in a chilli or cottage pie but with mashed veg rather than potato would be easy and you can make enough for several meals and freeze.

If you are trying to reduce blood glucose from a level where you would be diagnosed as diabetic, that is over 47mmol/mol then the suggested amount of carbs is no more than 130g carbs per day, but you can perhaps be more relaxed on that just not 2 pastries or 6 hot cross buns.
By careful choice of ready meals then they are not too bad.
Have you tried things like mashed swede, butternut squash or cauliflower as you can add grated cheese. Eggs are quick and easy meals with mushrooms added.
Things made with mince beef as in a chilli or cottage pie but with mashed veg rather than potato would be easy and you can make enough for several meals and freeze.
good idea cottage pie topped with mashed veg thanks..i tend to look at labels for ready meals will look for carbs in them if i need them..thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back