Help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank T

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello,
As recently being diagnosed type 2, (although my doctor knew from April 2022 but failed to relay this information to me) I know I have to change my eating habits and have already lost 1/2 stone in the last week, my question is can anyone advise a good book which would lead me on the correct path when it comes to what I can and cannot eat . There is so much conflicting information online I am a little confused and anxious. I don’t want this to take over my life and I am determined to change my eating habits but apart from avoiding sugar, i’m in the dark. My doctor dropped the bombshell and basically left me to get on with it apart from come back in 3 months for another blood test

Welcome to the forum, I afraid yours is not an uncommon experience but not telling you is inexcusable but then leaving you to your own devices is not very helpful.
However people find they make better progress by becoming their own expert in the condition. It is a good idea to find out what your HbA1C is as that will give an indication of your starting point and how much work you need to do. You don't mention medication so you may not be very far into the diabetes zone, a diagnosis is given for an HbA1C of anything over 47mmol/mol.
You seem to have made a good start with the changes you have made, half a stone in a week is impressive.
There really is no 'book' that will tell you what to do as everybody is different in their tolerance to carbohydrates which converts to glucose but also peoples tastes are different.
There are a number of ways people address the problem, some will choose a low carbohydrate approach which restricts carbohydrate intake to a suggested amount of no more than 130g total carbs per day and this link is a good introduction to that way, https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
Other people find a low calorie approach or shakes-based regime suits them to give a kick start.
What may suit you will depend on where you are in the diabetes zone, if you need to lose weight and any medication you have been prescribed.
Many find that having a home testing blood glucose monitor gives then the tools to manage their condition as they can monitor day to day, week to week progress and test the effect of meals on their blood glucose.
Inexpensive monitors can be bought on line the GlucoNavii or Spirit TEE2 are ones with the cheapest test strips but worth shopping around as prices change.
You may find it useful to look at the learning zone (orange tab at the top) and at other posts.

Hello,
As recently being diagnosed type 2, (although my doctor knew from April 2022 but failed to relay this information to me) I know I have to change my eating habits and have already lost 1/2 stone in the last week, my question is can anyone advise a good book which would lead me on the correct path when it comes to what I can and cannot eat . There is so much conflicting information online I am a little confused and anxious. I don’t want this to take over my life and I am determined to change my eating habits but apart from avoiding sugar, i’m in the dark. My doctor dropped the bombshell and basically left me to get on with it apart from come back in 3 months for another blood test
I looked at T2 as "carbohydrate intolerance" so removed them almost completely from my diet.
That and some time restricted eating led to remission in 4 months fairly effortless weight loss and a host of other health problems disappearing.
I followed a ketogenic diet keeping carb consumption at under 20-30 g per day.

Before going hammer and tongs with massive changes to your diet you need to bare in mind how far into the diabetic zone you are and that reducing your blood glucose gradually is less likely to cause issues with your eyes and nerves that some people can get.
You will see different people promote ways that they have found successful but the important thing is that you find a way that suits you, that will be enjoyable and therefore sustainable for the long term.
I forgot to say that the book or app Carbs and Cals is very useful as it gives the carb values of various portion sizes of a whole range of foods asd meals

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back