help my BS levels have risen within a week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Help, my BS levels have suddenly risen within a week or so. Apart from my fasting levels they have also risen when i test 2 hours after my main meal - what is happening? the only thing that i can think of is that i haven't been going for my evening walk after i've eaten but they used to be in the 6's and 7's but now they are in the 8's and 9's which has come as a shock to me as i thought i was doing really well with my weight loss and excercise, i feel so disheartened now. I will of course mention this to my diabetic nurse on Monday but i have to wait until January to have my first review as she said that depending on the results of the review, based on that would be my treatment but i was so hoping to just control my levels by diet and excercise alone, but if my levels keep rising instead of lowering i may need to go on medication - this diabetes thing is confusing

Hi Carina, it could certainly be related to the fact that you aren't taking your walk - exercise can have a significant bearing, especially if it is regular and then you stop for a while. I have experienced the same sort of thing if I don't go for a run for a few days - with me I have to adjust my insulin. Try not to worry, but make sure you record your food and levels for your nurse. Do mention it to her and she might be able to make some suggestions. 🙂

thanks, i will try my walks again and see what happens. I went to see my GP tonight as she wanted to check my blood pressure and i mentioned it to her and she told me that i was doing really well with my weight loss and excercise and said that i was doing great and not to worry too much about my levels being in the 9's after main meals but i personally thought that the 9's are a bit high compared to my 6's and 7's which i was getting before. I will of course chat to my diabetic nurse about it on Monday.

thanks, i will try my walks again and see what happens. I went to see my GP tonight as she wanted to check my blood pressure and i mentioned it to her and she told me that i was doing really well with my weight loss and excercise and said that i was doing great and not to worry too much about my levels being in the 9's after main meals but i personally thought that the 9's are a bit high compared to my 6's and 7's which i was getting before. I will of course chat to my diabetic nurse about it on Monday.

Have you changed the type of food you have been eating, now that weather is turning poorer? That might also account for the higher levels. 8's and 9's aren't bad, but I can understand that you are worried about the increase. Hope the nurse can reassure you!🙂

hi carina, sorry for being picky but i just wanted to clarify - are you type 1 or type 2? your mini profile thing on the left says type 1 but you talked about controlling it with diet and exercise alone...?

Hi Carina. Just to say I thought you were type 1 until I got to the end of your thread because in your profile you've put that you are type 1. You might want to change it so you get advice aimed at type 2s 🙂

You are doing all the right things, so I'm sure the blood sugar levels will sort themselves out. I can't add to the advice already given. All of us experience fluctuations in our readings from time to time so you are not alone.

Have you changed the type of food you have been eating, now that weather is turning poorer? That might also account for the higher levels. 8's and 9's aren't bad, but I can understand that you are worried about the increase. Hope the nurse can reassure you!🙂

Also have your portion sizes changed? I know I'm very tempted to eat more when it is cold and wet. Diabetes UK guides for Type 2s 2 hour post meal are <8.5 so you are not far off that

Hi carina62

Most likely the rise will be down to not having your evening walk.

Normally, I eat a low gi diet, but last night I was tempted and had a couple of boiled potatoes with my meal. Every evening I walk my dog after eating, and my bg's are usually between 5-7 all evening. Last night had my meal, and out of curiosity tested 50 mins after, and my bg was 13.2!!😡

Therefore, I went for a walk with dog for just under a hour, came back and had bath then tested, 6.2 at 9.00pm and this morning I was 6.4. So, it proves that exercise is a good way of lowering blood glucose.

As Northerner has pointed out, depends on foods you have eaten, as I say, potatoes send my bg's sky high. Check out information on low gi foods, these foods are less drastic on blood sugar levels. I wouldn't worry to much about readings of 8-9, 2 hours after eating, most likely they will be lower 3-4 hours later.

Toby

hi carina, sorry for being picky but i just wanted to clarify - are you type 1 or type 2? your mini profile thing on the left says type 1 but you talked about controlling it with diet and exercise alone...?

I was thinking the same thing also.
Surely you must be a type 2.

Hi Carina,
Bit of a personal reply but... I am type 1 (so not sure if this applies to you) and my sugars rise the week before my period begins. I'm not going to ask you about such things(!), but thought I would put it out there as a thought!

Thanks for chaging it for me Northener, i'm new to this site and still trying to go through it all and read up on stuff as there is so much to read up on on Diabetes UK. Since i was diagnosed Type 2 on 16 October last month i have found lots and lots of helpful advice and it's so good to know that i'm not battling this on my own 🙂

hello Ntil, as a matter of fact yes, i am on my period but it didn't occur to me that it could do something to the levels, i wonder why that is the case? too complicated i think but yes it could be. I'm going away this weekend so i intend to do lots of walking and will still enjoy my food but just be sensible with it all.

hello Ntil, as a matter of fact yes, i am on my period but it didn't occur to me that it could do something to the levels, i wonder why that is the case? too complicated i think but yes it could be. I'm going away this weekend so i intend to do lots of walking and will still enjoy my food but just be sensible with it all.

All these little foibles that keep you on your toes, eh?! I have no idea of the body functions that contribute to this but, as it happens every single time to me, I know that it's that. My various diabetes nurses and doctors over the years have never been able to come up with a reason for it either...! I don't know how it works with type 2... Could you raise it with your diabetes nurse and see if they can suggest anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back