Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomsy11

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi,

My partner and I are moving to London due to work relocation.

She is Diabetic Type 1, currently using an insulin pump, the Medtronic 780G.

As we are coming from EU, we are a worried of running out of supplies and being with no Nurses/Endocrino to reach out to in case of any issues.

At the moment, she can reach out to her diabetic clinic, and they will answer and provide guidance if she needs to changes any settings, etc.

As per our understanding, once we arrive in London, we need to first get referred to a GP, which would then refer her to a Diabetic Clinic, but that could apparently take months.

The risk of being without support/supplies for that long is scary for her and we are worried about the impact on her health.

We would be grateful to receive any advice and recommendation on the best way to approach this situation and be reassured in our move, ensuring we have the necessary support.

Additionally, could you recommend GP, Diabetic clinics that offers Medtronic 780G, and could prescribe the supplies and insulin for the pump, have quick referral but most importantly that offer amazing support like we have at the moment ?

Thank you for taking the time helping us

Last edited:
Your employer might be able to assist in finding a GP able to take you onto their list, and act as liaison to put your present clinic in contact with the new one.
Getting copies of records from your present clinic to bring with you, with details of present medication would probably smooth the switch, and they might have information about joining the NHS system as an incomer and the rules on what would need to be paid for and what time would need to elapse assuming that you'd eventually qualify as residents if that is the intention.
My son in law came from the US to live here and has gradually slotted into full citizenship but there were a lot of forms to fill in before that happened.

Hi @Tomsy11 🙂 Make sure she brings enough supplies with her, preferably months worth of pump supplies, testing stuff, insulin, etc. That will tide her over while she waits for a referral to a diabetes clinic.

How long has she had her pump? Is she ‘looping’ with it?

Hi

You don't need to be referred to a GP, as long as the practice is accepting patients you can fill in a form and register yourselves. So it will a matter of looking to see which GP practices are close by to where you live and taking things from there.

I don't know, but I imagine getting insulin would be relatively straighforward once you are registered with a GP as GPs can prescribe this. Pumps/pump supplies are generally managed by hospital clinics and you would need a referral to a clinic by the GP. Not all hospital clinics support all pumps, so this may be more complicated. As Inka says, bringing plenty of supplies with you would be very strongly advised. Where in the EU are you coming from? Can you maintain your connections with your current clinicians at least in the short term?

My local surgery prescribes my insulin and not my endo. Make sure you sign up to the surgery's online system so you can order meds, check status etc. The NHS App is becoming more important and is another way to order items as long as you are also on the surgery system.

For the GP, I would register with the one closest to your home. You will need them for all medical treatment and referrals, not just diabetes, and may need easy access. Travelling across London on the tube when you are under the weather will not be pleasant. In my city, the GP surgeries have "catchment areas" and will not allow you to register if you live outside.
Prescription of insulin, test strips and minimum CGM (Libre or Dexcom one) comes from the GP. However, they do not deal with insulin pumps or more "robust" (expensive) CGMs. I suspect these are funded from a different pot.
The GP can refer you to the diabetes clinic. In this case there maybe a choice so it may be worthwhile finding out which diabetes clinics in your area provide the Medtronic 780g. Good news is that Medtronic is probably the most common so most clinics will already have a relationship with them even if they use a different Medtronic pump.
The support your partner currently gets from her Nurse/Endo will only come from a diabetes clinic. And then, the support level is varied which is why most of us become pretty self-sufficient in terms of adjusting doses and basal patterns. I say "self sufficient" but you are not alone - the forum is pretty helpful. We cannot specify exact doses but combined we have hundreds of years experience to share.

You might even be able to register before to you move if you know the address and which surgery you will be registering with. Best thing to do is contact a surgery and find out their process.

As others have said the GP / surgery can refer to the hospital teams, but you don't need that team for normal medication including insulin.

Wishing you smooth moving!

You might even be able to register before to you move if you know the address and which surgery you will be registering with. Best thing to do is contact a surgery and find out their process.
I’d be surprised as usually you have to provide proof of identification and proof of address eg a utility bill with your name and address on

I’d be surprised as usually you have to provide proof of identification and proof of address eg a utility bill with your name and address on
Yes but these don’t always need to be seen in person.
I had nothing to prove my address when we last moved, as we moved just before Christmas and I had no bills received at the new address. Passport only was enough, and my husband is registered but he’s never been there in person.

Yes but these don’t always need to be seen in person.
I had nothing to prove my address when we last moved, as we moved just before Christmas and I had no bills received at the new address. Passport only was enough, and my husband is registered but he’s never been there in person.
I think that already being on the NHS register will enable that situation, but for someone moving here from abroad and not already in the NHS system, it may be much less straightforward. Also some practices may be more picky about new patients being within their catchment area and want proof, particularly if they are up to or over capacity with their patient list. .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back