Help me please????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smile.

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hiya

I am goin to do a special fast for a day, i am goin to eat between 5am -6am and then not eat or drink for the whole day until 7 or 8 pm. Should i still have my injections even though i am not goin to eat or drink? I am type 1 and am on 4 injections a day novorapid for every meal and levemir every night, any suggestions of what i should do??? Someone please give me some advice? xxx

Last edited:
Hiya

I am goin to do a special fast for a day, i am goin to eat between 5am -6am and then not eat or drink for the whole day until 7 or 8 pm. Should i still have my injections even though i am not goin to eat or drink? I am type 1 and am on 4 injections a day novorapid for every meal and levemir every night, any suggestions of what i should do??? Someone please give me some advice? xxx

Wow. Why are you doing this? Is it to test the basal? Now I may get shot down in flames here (I must also say check with your DSN at this point, definitely) but if you are not eating then you don't give novorapid at all. The NR is purely to cover your food. The levemir is the background rate and in theory it should keep you level all day !!! You will need NR to cover the carbs you eat at 5 am of course.

It all depends what you are doing it for as to what you do.

In theory on a basal bolus system like you are on fasting shouldn't be a problem. So long as your basal insulin (levemir) is correct it should keep you steady when not eating. As the bolus (novorapid) is to counter food so if you're not eating a particular meal then you wouldn't have novorapid at that time. You'd probably want to do some basal testing before the fast to make sure you're happy that it is correct. There are of course other factors that you need to consider, such as level of activity, however and I'd recommend that you have a chat with your DSN first to check if there are any considerations unique to you that you need to consider.

Well Addriene, its like a religious fast (kinda complicated) but thanx for the help i will prob discuss this with my dn. i just wanted to see if anyone on ds knew wat to do before i asked my dn!

Aymes, thanx for the advice, im not goin to be goin any exercise as i will be at school and will be excused from pe due to my diabetes and fastin for that day

Last edited:
Well Addriene, its like a religious fast (kinda complicated) but thanx for the help i will prob discuss this with my dn. i just wanted to see if anyone on ds knew wat to do before i asked my dn!

Aymes, thanx for the advice, im not goin to be goin any exercise as i will be at school and will be excused from pe due to my diabetes and fastin for that day

Ok Smile, just be careful, Aymes is right re the exercise. Can you let us know what happens, I am intrigued as to whether the basal will keep you steady all day, do be careful. Levemir and Lantus are not supposed to have peaks and troughs but they do so take care and good luck.

Ok Smile, just be careful, Aymes is right re the exercise. Can you let us know what happens, I am intrigued as to whether the basal will keep you steady all day, do be careful. Levemir and Lantus are not supposed to have peaks and troughs but they do so take care and good luck.

Yes Adrienne i would b more than happy to let u know how it goes. im actually doin on this wednesday 22nd april, so i will probably post a reply to you on wednesday night or maybe thursday night,, so just check on this thread then. Thanks for your advice and you too aymes :D

Wotcha. Can I also suggest (although of course your DSN will advise) but also Diabetes UK give advice online and on the careline as to fasting, I am thinking specifically of Ramadam. I know also my GP has advice sheets on diabetics on insulin who fast, but I live in a very mixed cutlure area. Worth checking DUK though I am sure in addition to your DSN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back