Help me break the stereotype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cookiemonster2017

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hey Everyone!
I'm doing an Extended Project Qualification in college on Pancreatic Transplant Procedures exploring organ donation, animals in science and clinical trials, but I'm also looking to break the stereotypes around diabetes!
Since it's World Diabetes Day, I was wondering if anyone would like to help to raise awareness? I remember when one of my friends used the "diabetes on a plate" reference - to which I replied by sending him a photo of all my medical equipment on a plate! If you have any similar (anonymous) photos that you think would be great to give people a better idea about the reality of Diabetes and would like to share them, please can you post them here?
I will only be using these in my presentation (on Friday), but if no-one wants to share anything that's fine - just thought it'd be fun to incorporate World Diabetes Day! :D
Thanks!

Good grief - where could anyone get a plate that big?

Mine takes up two complete 1000mm x 600mm x 150mm drawers, a large cardboard box full of new pump consumables there's not room in the drawers for, a whole door shelf in the fridge plus what I wear about my person plus my meter, plus a supply of extra strips, a box of pen needles and one of lancets in a cupboard. Oh - and the 'add and weigh' scales in the kitchen.

Then I'm not sure how much computer space the pump software occupies, nor the DSF forum and website, nor this forum.

Bookshelf space for Think Like a Pancreas and Using Insulin and a pile a 'Balance' magazines on the shelf under the coffee table.

Oh how daft! The sharps bin behind the open curtain on one of the kitchen window sills.

I just gave them a taste but seems like you're way ahead of me :D if you can compile even part of that that'll be great! Please can I quote your list of diabetes paraphernalia?🙂

I just gave them a taste but seems like you're way ahead of me :D if you can compile even part of that that'll be great! Please can I quote your list of diabetes paraphernalia?🙂

Might be a bit late now but #diabetesonaplate would be a good twitter hashtag for diabetics to post photos of their equipment. Including #WorldDiabetesDay too of course and getting one of the big players (@DiabetesUK @NHSEngland @WDD) to RT. Just a thought.

IMG_1034.JPG
It didn't quite fit in a plate!!
And then there is all the other stuff stored away.

I know the wine and smarties are not strictly part of the kit, but I deserve a treat now and then.

Thank you so much that's amazing!:D:D:D
Also, thank you Nickinwarwick - a reason I should get social media!:D
As soon as I figure out how to, I'll post mine!😛

Had to take a few things out of packets and boxes but think I included most things!:D

Attachments

• DSC_0711.JPG
    DSC_0711.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 25
Sadly I'm not capable of taking a video which I'd need, or even a photo, and getting it onto the internet for you, at the mo. If one of the kids comes and I remember I'll have to ask. We need a photo for a charity website we're trustees of too.

But use the list by all means!

Sorry I'm taking so long to reply but thank you very much! :D
I've had an influx of primary data (was even lucky enough to interview Anthony Clarkson, the Assistant Director of Organ Donation and Nursing for NHS Blood and Transplant!) so I'm pushing my presentation day until next week to give me some more time to include everything! I will include any photos, videos, lists etc in my presentation and I would be happy to share it with you if you'd like to see🙂 The 13000+ dissertation may be a bit of a bore so I'll leave that bit out :D
Thank you!

I was going to take a photo for you, but it's too dark today, sorry. When do you need it by, now you've moved your presentation to next week?

Bother - I have a photo, but Adobe Flash keeps crashing so I can't get it to upload. I'm not paying the ransom to Photobucket, and I don't have anywhere else to put photos or time to research anywhere (would take me days to work out how to open an account anywhere else because of my cognitive dysfunction). I could stick the photo on my blog, but not sure you can access an image from there. Shall I try, or does anyone have any better ideas?

I put it on my blog, in the hope that this will work, @Cookiemonster2017 - diabetes and a plate:

2017Diabetesandaplate01.JPG

And if that doesn't work and you can't see the picture above, here's a link to the post: http://theclockworkdodo.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/diabetes-and-plate.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back