Help, make it make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vamppir8

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Hi, having trouble. Can you go insulin resistant overnight? Normally 1 to 10, on fiasp for 3 months. Last two days been hell. I've put basal up to 24 last week. Yesterday ended up jabbing 36 units for 90grm breakfast normally do 9! Fiasp takes 1.5 hrs to work so pre jab. Ate, just went up and up, so jabbed 2 fiasp every 15 minutes starts working instant for me but 10 mins later up again repeat, repeat, graph looked like saw blade.
Today I've changed pens, changed vials new box. Ate half my breakfast but jabbed 2 to 10. Worked great came back down to 4.5 then back up and plateaued at 10. Now trying second half of breakfast at 1 to10 plus 1 correction as dinner and tea worked like normal 1 to 10, and was flat at work till 12pm and through night with 2 basal.
Any ideas? Sign of something?

Which basal do you use and when do you inject it? Do you always do an air shot before injecting. Just wondering if you might have had a blocked needle and basal wasn't injected if you didn't check or could you possibly have forgotten your basal dose? Also, what are your basal doses. Just wondering if you are Type 3c if you have had some further pancreatic die off which has suddenly caused you to hit a tipping point and basal doses need increasing to deal with that.

Another thing to consider.... Have you had any illness recently or feel like you might be coming down with something?

Sorry you are having problems @Vamppir8.
Good to see that you have checked the "obvious". It is amazing how often I have forgotten to do so!
Unfortunately, there are many things that can affect our insulin resistance so I would look to see what is different in your life for the last few days. How well did you sleep? Are you stressed? Are you exercising less? Do you have the start of a cold? Have you started any new medication? Do you have any aches or pains?
If I have been through this kind of list, come up with nothing and then everything returns to normal, I decide it is either that I was wearing the wrong socks or my body successfully fought off a cold before the main symptoms appeared.

Which basal do you use and when do you inject it? Do you always do an air shot before injecting. Just wondering if you might have had a blocked needle and basal wasn't injected if you didn't check or could you possibly have forgotten your basal dose? Also, what are your basal doses. Just wondering if you are Type 3c if you have had some further pancreatic die off which has suddenly caused you to hit a tipping point and basal doses need increasing to deal with that.

Another thing to consider.... Have you had any illness recently or feel like you might be coming down with something?
Checked basal several times, got numbers on back. Always prime. This is 3rd day been keeping diary. Today not so bad 14.5 instead of usual 9. Yes was told type3 by consultant. Last dr never heard of it said I probably got irritable bowel... I put basal up to 24 a few days ago from 18. After I finally stabilised flat lined while in a&e for 2 hrs. Drs won't answer say ring 111. Rung 111 told me to go to a&e. A&e then said nothing they can do for me go to your drs.... we're on our own. I cannot imagine being newly diagnosed the "care" is pitiful. I've switched back to novorapid see how I go still had some in fridge. Thanks for your reply. Further die off? I thought once your pancreas was dead that was it?

Sorry you are having problems @Vamppir8.
Good to see that you have checked the "obvious". It is amazing how often I have forgotten to do so!
Unfortunately, there are many things that can affect our insulin resistance so I would look to see what is different in your life for the last few days. How well did you sleep? Are you stressed? Are you exercising less? Do you have the start of a cold? Have you started any new medication? Do you have any aches or pains?
If I have been through this kind of list, come up with nothing and then everything returns to normal, I decide it is either that I was wearing the wrong socks or my body successfully fought off a cold before the main symptoms appeared.
Know what you mean, no 2 days are the same. I'm normally rock steady except breakfast have to jab 2 hrs before. I use 1/2 unit pen which usually brings me down 2.5. 2 units would put me in coma, but not last 2 days. Had my vitals done at a&e all normal. Going to report on yellowcard and try to contact manufacturer see if faulty batch. First vial was OK.

Ended up 80% extra fiasp, today instead of usual 1.5 hrs waiting for it to work, was instant literally as pulled needle out. 80% extra for lunch yesterday as well but got away with 1 to10 for tea. Back to fiasp so couldn't have been bad batch as same effect as novorapid yesterday. 7 years never had this happen very odd. 10 bags of jelly babies about the place, car, coats ready in case it goes back to normal.

My gut feeling is still that it is likely a basal issue. 2 years ago I had to pretty well double my basal insulin dose over a period of a couple of months and in between I was fire fighting with silly amounts of Fiasp to try to keep levels within range. Like you I stockpiled JBs expecting to drop off a cliff edge at some point and I did have one day when I hypoed 7 times (it was a hectic, physically active day), so I dropped my basal back by just a couple of units that night and it has remained pretty stable since then.
When you become diabetic, it is often just a tipping point where your pancreas can no longer produce enough insulin to balance you BG levels, but it still produces some insulin, just not enough. Gradually over time (usually years) that remaining insulin production deteriorates and you gradually need more injected insulin, until you reach the point where there is probably no capability to produce insulin left, so unless you have your whole pancreas surgically removed, there is generally a slow decline rather than one day it produces insulin and the next it is goosed. This period in between where it is producing some insulin but not enough is often referred to as the honeymoon period in diabetes, although that is a bit misnoma, as sometimes levels can be very erratic and you get unexpected hypos etc and it is anything but enjoyable.

Hi, having trouble. Can you go insulin resistant overnight? Normally 1 to 10, on fiasp for 3 months. Last two days been hell. I've put basal up to 24 last week. Yesterday ended up jabbing 36 units for 90grm breakfast normally do 9! Fiasp takes 1.5 hrs to work so pre jab. Ate, just went up and up, so jabbed 2 fiasp every 15 minutes starts working instant for me but 10 mins later up again repeat, repeat, graph looked like saw blade.
Today I've changed pens, changed vials new box. Ate half my breakfast but jabbed 2 to 10. Worked great came back down to 4.5 then back up and plateaued at 10. Now trying second half of breakfast at 1 to10 plus 1 correction as dinner and tea worked like normal 1 to 10, and was flat at work till 12pm and through night with 2 basal.
Any ideas? Sign of something?
My Diabetic Nurse taught me never to 'chase' my BG levels as you will end up all over the place and do the adjustments over subsequent doses. I never dose between meals even if I am very high I give myself extra at next meal and, if still high, more at next meal etc gradually bringng BG levels down. Could this be part of your problem?

My gut feeling is still that it is likely a basal issue. 2 years ago I had to pretty well double my basal insulin dose over a period of a couple of months and in between I was fire fighting with silly amounts of Fiasp to try to keep levels within range. Like you I stockpiled JBs expecting to drop off a cliff edge at some point and I did have one day when I hypoed 7 times (it was a hectic, physically active day), so I dropped my basal back by just a couple of units that night and it has remained pretty stable since then.
When you become diabetic, it is often just a tipping point where your pancreas can no longer produce enough insulin to balance you BG levels, but it still produces some insulin, just not enough. Gradually over time (usually years) that remaining insulin production deteriorates and you gradually need more injected insulin, until you reach the point where there is probably no capability to produce insulin left, so unless you have your whole pancreas surgically removed, there is generally a slow decline rather than one day it produces insulin and the next it is goosed. This period in between where it is producing some insulin but not enough is often referred to as the honeymoon period in diabetes, although that is a bit misnoma, as sometimes levels can be very erratic and you get unexpected hypos etc and it is anything but enjoyable.
Cheers yeah had put basal up but too much hypo all night at work, every hour, not normal, usually flat. Lowered it today. Breakfast yesterday pre bolus 5 minutes plummeted, toast still in toaster, usually 1.5 hrs to even start. Today jabbed and ate didn't want that again eating for my life. Nope up we go. 80% extra fiasp, plus 2 correction, 1.5 correction, 3hrs later 7 and going down at last. So in total 150% more than I would have injected last Friday :( extra lucky got an apointment Tuesday to sign me off as drs inaccessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back