Help insulin gone white and lumpy

Status
Not open for further replies.

gail2

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
I picked up my new type of insulin today it was a couple of hours before i got home noted when i went to put it in the frighe its gone white /lumpy does this mean its gone off so to speak and i cant use it.
cheers
gail

I was told if it was white/milky it was off Sorry xxx

Its insulatard that you got isn't it - its meant to be cloudy.

You have to shake it (can't remember now for how many seconds) before use. It may look lumpy before shaking but the shaking should resolve that. Its only a problem if it remains lumpy after the shaking.

Take a look at the leaflet in the packet - it should explain this for you

What sort of insulin is it? It doesn't sound good but there are a few of the mixed insulins that should be cloudy and you need to shake up before use so could potentially be what you have...?
Take a look at the information leaflet in the box, that may explain what it should look like.

Hon, is your new insulin called "Insulatard"? It has the green strip on it?

If it is, it is meant to look like that.

I have to say, picking up out of date or bad insulin is extremely rare. Take the advice slip out the box and just see what further info you can get or call you pharmacist on the hone tomorrow. DONT THROW IT JUST YET!!! 🙂

What sort of insulin is it? It doesn't sound good but there are a few of the mixed insulins that should be cloudy and you need to shake up before use so could potentially be what you have...?
Take a look at the information leaflet in the box, that may explain what it should look like.

Great minds, aymes! 🙂

it is insulatard didt get any leaflet with it as its been put in syringes for daily use by GP only allowed to pick up 3 syringes each with a days worth at a time
thanks for thr fast replys will try shaking it and see how that goes
cheers
gail

No, I got told NEVER shake insulin! Roll it between your hands. Shaking does something weird to it.

We were told that too. We were told to gently 'wave' it, as if drawing a circle with your arm! (That was before Sophie went onto MDIs.)🙂

Patient information leaflets: You should get one!! It's a legal requirement (or so my old boss used to tell me...) to supply one if a patient's starting new medication. Honestly, who is anybody supposed to remember all that stuff you're told at the surgery?

rachel getting new insulin from surgery as only allowed to pick up 4 days worth at a time due to something i did. Called gp this morning and its ok to use so panic over
Thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back