Help in understanding blood test results

Jan1956

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
I was diagnosed diabetic with a Hba1c of 57 2 months ago . This test was repeated 2 weeks later and it had dropped to 55.
The Dr wanted to put me on meds straight away , but, I persuaded her to give me some time to try and get this under control with diet and exercise . We agreed that I would have a further hba1c test ( today) which is exactly 2 months after my original diagnosis.
I appreciate the hba1c test would’ve been more accurate if I’d waited for 3 months, but I just wanted to be given a pointer to encourage me that I was moving in the right direction so I was keen to know if today’s hba1c result had dropped .
However, I’ve received a strange “non result” on my NHS on line account and I haven’t a clue what any of it means ! :- ( see attachment below).
Can anyone please enlighten me ? I’m so upset and frustrated that the path lab appear to have overruled the GP request and haven’t given me a hba1cresult at all ! ? I just don’t see why they haven’t - Can you ?
In addition, to today’s test I also had a Fasting Glucose Test done. This is reported as 7.5% which I expect puts me well into diabetic range. However, I really expected my fasting glucose to be this as I’m struggling with what is likely Dawn Phenomenon so anticipate that this level will be the last to reduce .
However if I had been given a further HbA1c reading I feel it would’ve been a better indicator of how I’m progressing ( in comparison to the fasting glucose which doesn’t reflect my daily averages ) on my new regime.
I now assume my GP will want to focus more on the Fasting Glucose percentage and put pressure on me to go on meds. I think it’s possible my GP might not even be as clued up about Dawn Phenomenon as many of the members here so will see this result per se!
Could I please have your thoughts. I’m feeling quite deflated this evening. It feels like a battle.
Thank you again for your support.

Attachments

• IMG_0126.jpeg
    IMG_0126.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I think they are just pointing out it would not be a meaningful result as it was not 3 months since the last one being only 6 weeks since the last test when you got 55mmol/mol.
The fasting glucose would have been 7.5mmol/l not % and is the sort of readings people might get early in their diagnosis especially if they are one of the people who are affected by the Foot on the Floor or Dawn Phenomenon.
It would be fairly consistent with an HbA1C of what you have.

Sorry you’ve had such frustrating feedback. It is unusual, but 6 weeks since your last result would most likely have been a very similar result to your previous 2, which might have been frustrating and demorivating in its own way.

Average lifespan of a red blood cell is around 120 days, so there would have been a aignificant overlap in the blood samples.

But. If your average glucose level is around the 7.5mmol/L you were given as a fasting result I think that could be seen as quite encouraging. Fasting readings are often thought to reasonably reflect overall average glucose levels.

@Leadinglights
Thank you for replying and your thoughts . Yes you’re right it was 7.5 mol/l and I’m probably being unrealistic but
I think that’s my point- that my fasting glucose isn’t the full picture! Yes, it probably is consistent with my initial hba1c reading but I was really hoping to find that a newer hba1c reading would’ve reduced a little given my levels on average reduce during the day . It would’ve just given me encouragement if I’d had a later reading. Just don’t see what harm it could ‘ve done? Afterall , they gave me a 2nd hba1c result after only 2 weeks and surely if the dr had requested another one 2 months after the initial they should’ve honoured it? ‍♀️

Sorry you’ve had such frustrating feedback. It is unusual, but 6 weeks since your last result would most likely have been a very similar result to your previous 2, which might have been frustrating and demorivating in its own way.

Average lifespan of a red blood cell is around 120 days, so there would have been a aignificant overlap in the blood samples.

But. If your average glucose level is around the 7.5mmol/L you were given as a fasting result I think that could be seen as quite encouraging. Fasting readings are often thought to reasonably reflect overall average glucose levels.
@everydayupsanddowns
Thank you for explaining. I’ve probably built myself up to today’s result assuming I’d have a little drop in hba1c even if it was a small one over the last 2 months !
Thanks for the reassurance. I’m going to arrange an appt to see my GP to discuss. Hopefully I’ll be given more time before being put on meds.

Last edited:
If your 7.5mmol/L is a reasonable reflection of your average glucose level, this table from the Edinburgh Diabetes Service would suggest that your HbA1c could be somewhere below 53mmol/L.

1727988302033.jpeg

If your 7.5mmol/L is a reasonable reflection of your average glucose level, this table from the Edinburgh Diabetes Service would suggest that your HbA1c could be somewhere below 53mmol/L.

View attachment 31779
It's her Fasting Glucose Level not her average. Two Fasting Glucose readings over 7 used to be/still are one of the criteria for dxing Type 2. There's actually a formula for calculating HbA1c from Fasting Glucose reading ....
HbA1c = 2.6 + 0.03 × FBG (mg/dl).

Don't know accurate it is and its in mg/dl or what system it gives the HbA1c in, possibly percentages as it's American.

Last edited:
It's her Fasting Glucose Level not her average.

Yes, but of all the single spot-checks I have always been told (by more than one HCP) that the fasting BG reading is most likely to be closest to a person’s overall average glucose level.

And if that is true in @Jan1956 ’s case I hoped it might offer a crumb of comfort that things might be moving in the right direction while she awaits the additional 6 or so weeks for an extra HbA1c to become worthwhile.

Back