Help!! I am in a confused state

Macjerry

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Hello everyone, I was diagnosed on type 2 on February this year with hbaic of 67,I declined metformin or any drugs and said I will make changes first change my diet,do mostly walking exercise ,eat more fibre and less saturated fats..wasn’t easy but i was determined and I brought my hbaic to 36 in July.My fasting blood sugar is always less than 100 now for months.The pain in my toes has disappeared,I had terrible neuropathy in my hands which has stopped even the cold hands I do feel has stopped but now my problem is insomnia.I can go for 3-4 days without sleeping.once I lay down ,I feel like sth is released in my body that makes me not to fall asleep.I ve done all to sleep but no avail.After like 4 nights, I will sleep and then no sleep for the next 5nights.It makes me so knackered that doing my work is affected.I need to sleep.Spoke to Gp and he prescribed zopiclone but it’s not working.I don’t work night shifts at all,I ve stopped coffee or tea but I can’t sleep.Aside the not sleeping thing.I feel good but when I don’t sleep,I feel so terrible in the day and the night for 5-6 days.Please can someone with similar experience help me so I can fix it…I need to be sleeping at night cos naturally I don’t sleep during the day

Welcome @Macjerry 🙂 Sorry to hear you have insomnia. How long have you been on the zoplicone?Is there anything that’s changed in your routine, eg are you eating later, eating a different evening meal, exercising in the evening?

Thank you for replying,I ve been on zoplicone for about one week and some days.Doctor said it’s just a one time prescription.I don’t think anything changed in my routine. I eat at my usual time and I don’t exercise in the evening.The thing is,I will lay down and then my eyes won’t shut.I will close my eyes ,turn off light but still nothing.Keep tossing around and around till morning.As I am writing to you now,I haven’t slept for 4 nights.Been awake a day and night,it’s killing me

My other half had a spell of insomnia and the GP gave him a sheet of 'sleep hygiene' tips which he tried. He found Nytol herbal or real helped but he got some headphones and listened to music which seemed to help. Also an eye mask was helpful.
He has the odd night now but generally OK.
It seemed to stem from when he was waiting prostate surgery so was getting up 7 times a night so sort of became a habit.

Thank you for replying,I ve been on zoplicone for about one week and some days.Doctor said it’s just a one time prescription.I don’t think anything changed in my routine. I eat at my usual time and I don’t exercise in the evening.The thing is,I will lay down and then my eyes won’t shut.I will close my eyes ,turn off light but still nothing.Keep tossing around and around till morning.As I am writing to you now,I haven’t slept for 4 nights.Been awake a day and night,it’s killing me

Have you tried getting up and reading a book in low light (ie bedside lamp)? That can help. Magnesium can help too, as an an old-fashioned antihistamine like Piriton. Check it’s ok with the zoplicone.

I have that problem, partly due to stress.

1. Read Russell Foster's 'Life Time', it's about circadian rhythms. He suggests bedsocks and mittens - they help

2. Google 'how to fix not sleeping'. Lots of info for you to look at including the NHS and this (AI!):

Here are some things you can try if you're having trouble sleeping:

• Create a sleep-friendly environment: Make sure your bedroom is dark and quiet, and a comfortable temperature. You can use curtains, blinds, an eye mask, or ear plugs if needed.

• Go to bed and wake up at the same time: Try to stick to a consistent sleep schedule, even on weekends.

• Avoid stimulants before bed: Avoid caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol 1–2 hours before bed.

• Exercise regularly: Get at least 5–6 hours of regular physical activity during the day. However, avoid anything too energetic within 90 minutes of bedtime.

• Relax before bed: Try a relaxing bedtime routine, such as taking a bath or listening to gentle music. You can also try relaxation techniques like deep breathing or diaphragmatic breathing.

• Write down worries: Before going to bed, write down any worries or ideas so you can try to forget them until morning.

• Limit blue light: Exposing your eyes to bright light from phones can prevent your brain from releasing melatonin, which regulates sleep.

• Try a different sleeping position: Consider testing out a different sleeping position and making sure you have the right type of pillow.
3. Google 'James Clear Atomic Habits sleep'

Sweet dreams!

Are you literally not sleeping at all or are you kind of dozing? I had awful insomnia once where I couldn’t get to sleep. I could feel my brain winding down to sleep and then suddenly it would flip me back to full wakefulness. It was a really weird feeling. I got some Diazepam (or might have been another of the -pams ?) for that (short term) and they worked well. I then gradually reduced them over a period of weeks and the weird brain thing never came back.

Michael Mosley (RIP) also wrote a book. Your local library will probably have it. It has a system to reset your sleep schedule:

Fast Asleep

Hi @Macjerry and welcome to the forum. First of all, congrats on getting those numbers down! That's a big drop and sounds to be stable now, so well done!

Are you able to check your blood sugar during night time, sort of when the insomnia 'hits'? Have you noticed any irregularities?

I would also suggest giving our Helpline a shout once they open again on Monday, they might be able to give you some guidance.

Are you literally not sleeping at all or are you kind of dozing? I had awful insomnia once where I couldn’t get to sleep. I could feel my brain winding down to sleep and then suddenly it would flip me back to full wakefulness. It was a really weird feeling. I got some Diazepam (or might have been another of the -pams ?) for that (short term) and they worked well. I then gradually reduced them over a period of weeks and the weird brain thing never came back.

Michael Mosley (RIP) also wrote a book. Your local library will probably have it. It has a system to reset your sleep schedule:

Fast Asleep

Well I am literally not sleeping at all and atimes when I doze,I flipped back to being awake.I will check the book out.Thanks you

Hi @Macjerry and welcome to the forum. First of all, congrats on getting those numbers down! That's a big drop and sounds to be stable now, so well done!

Are you able to check your blood sugar during night time, sort of when the insomnia 'hits'? Have you noticed any irregularities?

I would also suggest giving our Helpline a shout once they open again on Monday, they might be able to give you some guidance.
Yes I check my sugar and its fine.I always check it once sleep isn’t coming but it’s always fine.Practical way of reversing diabetes is losing fat ie weight loss.

Hi @Macjerry, sorry to hear about your insomnia. I suffer with it sometimes, usually when my brain is whirring with lots of unresolved issues or tasks. I found reading a really boring subject helped switch my brain off so I could sleep. Recommend Smith & Keenan's book on Law. Bought it for work related study years ago.

@Macjerry I had bad insomnia when my thyroid was failing - it took time to detect it as it would subside and then pick up again, so it took some time, and it was very bad by the time I got a test at the right part of its cycling.
My cold hands and feet were down to low thyroid hormones.

First, welcome to the forum, and congratz on the awesome work with your HbA1c
I feel like sth is released in my body that makes me not to fall asleep.I ve done all to sleep but no avail.After like 4 nights, I will sleep and then no sleep for the next 5nights.
I've had a lot of issues with sleep over the years, and for me the key issue is not to lie there frustrated by being unable to fall asleep.
My go to is getting back up for an hour or two and quietly chilling/relaxing, maybe have a hot drink, then go back to bed.
Keeping lights lower before bed or when getting back up should be beneficial
As others have suggested some music may help (quiet/relaxing music is probably best).
Or reading for a while - a tablet/kindle where the reading app allows you to customise it to be darker would work (avoiding light backgrounds etc).

To be honest a cup of coffee works brilliantly for me, while it may not for most people. We are all different, and you need to find what works for you.

Briefly looking on the internet it seems that magnesium and vitamin B12 can help sleep.

I think the suggestion about getting up, relaxing, chilling out might be worth a try.

Can the GP refer you to a sleep clinic?

Back