Help Hypo Nightmare!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

simone3112

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
My son was 5.1 before tea 17:11 got 0.5u for 20 carbs (pasta bolognese) 17:31 looked funny 3.2. Gave him bottle of lucozade sport 500ml 32/17.5 sugar. drank half, 17:46 4.8, 18:15 6.3, 18:35 4.6 temp basal 2.30hrs 50%. 18:56 3.1 suspended pump 2 glucose tab and kit kat. 19:18 5.2, 19:25 3.6 2 glucose tabs, 3 liquorise allsorts, 1/3 of lucozade sport (100ml) 19:46 4.2 toast with choc spread ate half. 20:15 5.3 and has just bit me!!! He should be through the roof now. His pump is still suspended. I know bloods are coming up but he's 4yrs he doesn't bite!!!!His behaviour can be bad high but not low.

All those lows will probably have befuddled his senses Simone - I know they would me! Hope he settles soon.

His pump has been suspended since 7pm and he's had at least 95 carbs may be more since and he's only 5.3 (21:00). Spoke to the hospital and there finally recognising that something isn't right with him. They have given me advice for 2n as they think i will start noticing a difference between 9-10pm if not call back. I have to change his canula when he gets above 10 and restart pump but keep him on a 50% basal check couple of hours later if he's high run his basal 100%. They will look at it again 2m theres a possibility they'll admit him. 😱:confused::(

wow what a nightmarre evening you've had :( i hope his sugars settle soon. I had a similar hypo day a couple of weeks ago & it was 36hrs until i was on an even keel again i had to suspend my pump for 10hrs!!!!! which i've never had to do before, i crashed from 10.2 to 2.1 in 45mins for no reason & i would get them up in the 6's to crash down in the 3's again my team put it down to me being pregnant they have now given me a CGMS which at least alarms & alerts me to the sudden hypo's. Has your son got a CGMS? If not ask your team to borrow 1 for a few weeks/months i've found it very re-assuring
Take care & i hope you manage to sort things out x

Sounds like you have a good team at least, Simone (if thats any consolation) at least you have some access to them for advice.

Im suprised by the numbers v's carbs etc considering the pump has been susended that long. What is the rational for changing the set at 10mmols? Is is to do with the insulin sticking after not being active for while? I am curious.

Really hope things get better. My understanding is that aggession when numbers are low in hypo is a symptom. I just hope he ddidnt bite too hard- you have enough to cope with tonight!

Much love xx

Sounds like you have a good team at least, Simone (if thats any consolation) at least you have some access to them for advice.

Im suprised by the numbers v's carbs etc considering the pump has been susended that long. What is the rational for changing the set at 10mmols? Is is to do with the insulin sticking after not being active for while? I am curious.

Really hope things get better. My understanding is that aggession when numbers are low in hypo is a symptom. I just hope he ddidnt bite too hard- you have enough to cope with tonight!

Much love xx
I changed his pump 2day at 1.30pm n he went down to 2.5 at 2pm then it's been pretty much the same got him upto 5.6 at 9pm but he's back down to 5at 9.30pm. He should have had atleast 2 units for how much he's eaten. A normal hypo is followed by an extreme high 19+ during the day. It's just horrible I feel so sorry for him xx

Hi Simone again,

Just interested to know, are you using sensors?

Im feeling very sorry for you both, I imagine its another long night ahead of testing and lack of sleep.

Thinking of you (and hoping for better numbers)

xx

Hi Simone again,

Just interested to know, are you using sensors?

Im feeling very sorry for you both, I imagine its another long night ahead of testing and lack of sleep.

Thinking of you (and hoping for better numbers)

xx

We had previously but it's been off since tues cause I got a reading of 18 when sensor said 8. I have sinced found out from this forum that it could have been if I calobrated around food! Would the sensor work even when the pump is suspended??
10pm he was 5.8 10.15pm 5.0. Im leaving it till 11pm when his pump will have been suspended for 3hrs and calling the hospital back. I know a blood reading can fluctuate but the point is he's not coming up.
Since 12.30pm today he's had about 130 carbs and only 1unit of insulin (that includes a correction at 10.1) his ratio 1:35 carbs till 9.30pm

That I dont know Im afraid. I dont use sensors. Bev, Patricia and Adrienne (forgive me if I have missed others) will know more.

I was curous because I wondered if it was a bad sensor, I know they can throw off numbers if the sites are not good, or if you use various areas and I wondered if this was what had happened to you and Harrison....but you are now finger testing.

Have you ever used the 24 hour Medtronic helpline? I havent but they might be able to advise you on that.

I really do hope your night goes ok x

Harrison has now had the pump suspended since 7pm i've just done his bloods and he's 4.8. I've just rang hospital back diff consultant and they've basically said keep the pump suspended all night. And check him every 2 hours. 5 hours without any insulin and extreme amounts of carbs.

It's not normal but it's ok cause he's not high.

It's my son this is happening to and they can't give me a reason to anything that has happened over the last 3 weeks. He might be acting like a normal child without diabetes, but he's diabetic his pancreas doesn't produce insulin - I know this cause im constantly fighting high bsl.

He's 4yrs old for gods sake. He's my little boy, I want them to at least give me reassurance that they'll sort it out. He's not being sick so if he hypo's i can give him food etc. Fair enough. But how can a diabetic child on a pump go without insulin for 5 hours. I HATE DIABETES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I just want answers

Harrison has now had the pump suspended since 7pm i've just done his bloods and he's 4.8. I've just rang hospital back diff consultant and they've basically said keep the pump suspended all night. And check him every 2 hours. 5 hours without any insulin and extreme amounts of carbs.

It's not normal but it's ok cause he's not high.

It's my son this is happening to and they can't give me a reason to anything that has happened over the last 3 weeks. He might be acting like a normal child without diabetes, but he's diabetic his pancreas doesn't produce insulin - I know this cause im constantly fighting high bsl.

He's 4yrs old for gods sake. He's my little boy, I want them to at least give me reassurance that they'll sort it out. He's not being sick so if he hypo's i can give him food etc. Fair enough. But how can a diabetic child on a pump go without insulin for 5 hours. I HATE DIABETES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I just want answers

and now at 00:45 2.4 with no insulin since 7pm waiting to see wot hospital say now just give him 5 glucose tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back