HELP! for a frightened Type Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

philipjbailey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello All
I was diagnosed type two in my lat 50's and am now 66 years old. My blood sugar is OTT as I write this I have just tested BG @ 23.3 mmol/l and this after 16g carb breakfast (Quaker Instant Porridge Oats).

The problem is that due to some admin problem my last visit to my consultant was canceled and the replacement has not happened due to COVID-19. I am certain this is not unique and probably many of us only have contact with our GP's right now. Only Problem is due to COVID-19 it's telephone consultation. I am loosing weight so definitely not over eating. In short I do not know what to do to get my BG back in order can anybody advise me?
So background
First treatment was metformin, terrible side effects eventually put on Insulin. That worked for some time even though my diet was not well controlled. Then my BG went hey wire . Community Diabetic Nurses moved me to a injection called Victoza (Liraglitide). I got my life back was loosing weight at a steady rate finally getting BMI out of the Obese Range and then Bang Weight Loss ended and reversed and BG Went Hay wire.
Of course this was in COVID Lockdown
GP Put me back on Metformin which was changed to SR version plus others and my BG Started to drop down to 7 mmol in the morning and then immediately went hay wire.
Current Meds
Metformin SR 2g daily
Liraglitide (Victoza) 12mg daily
Gliclizide 2 x day

Other meds for Hypertension and Gastric Pump syndrome and Arthritis.

Thank you in antisipation that someone has had a similar experience and can point me in the right direction.

Yours
Philip

Quaker instant oats are finely processed and spike my blood sugar fast too. What was your blood sugar before eating? Don’t forget there are carbs in the milk as well as the oats.

Welcome to the forum Philip.
One thing to try is to look for patterns. Keep a food diary, along with a record of your levels. After a couple of weeks hopefully you'll start being able to pick things out.

Hi. First, as you have had problems with excess weight we need to assume you are not a mis-diagnosed T1/LADA but it's always possible. You must have a low-carb diet and I would bin the porridge and have eggs and bacon or similar. Liraglutide is normally prescribed to try to get weight down so it appears to be working. Metformin SR will be helping. A T2 shouldn't normally need Gliclazide long-term as it stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin and in general a T2 with insulin resistance will have too much insulin already. So apart from keeping the carbs way down you could always ask the GP for a C-Peptide test to find out what your natural insulin level is.

Welcome to the forum Philip.
One thing to try is to look for patterns. Keep a food diary, along with a record of your levels. After a couple of weeks hopefully you'll start being able to pick things out.
Greetings Ralph
Since posting I have been given an appointment with my GP. It seems as if the medication I'm on is not working which is a worry as they all are meant to help my body use my insulin. Am I producing any? logic would say No. So am I type 2 or could I have changed from 2 to 1? A google search says that cannot happen but occasionally we can be Miss Diagnosed?
Yours
Philip

Hi. First, as you have had problems with excess weight we need to assume you are not a mis-diagnosed T1/LADA but it's always possible. You must have a low-carb diet and I would bin the porridge and have eggs and bacon or similar. Liraglutide is normally prescribed to try to get weight down so it appears to be working. Metformin SR will be helping. A T2 shouldn't normally need Gliclazide long-term as it stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin and in general a T2 with insulin resistance will have too much insulin already. So apart from keeping the carbs way down you could always ask the GP for a C-Peptide test to find out what your natural insulin level is.
Thanks for the advice. I have an appointment at Noon will definitely ask about a C-Peptide Test.

Yours
Philip

So am I type 2 or could I have changed from 2 to 1? A google search says that cannot happen but occasionally we can be Miss Diagnosed?
T2 does not become/develop into T1.
I've read that some people have been mis-diagnosed, in which case they weren't the original type to start off with.
you could always ask the GP for a C-Peptide test to find out what your natural insulin level is.
I gather this is one of the tests to determin which type you are.

Type 2 diabetics can need insulin injections to help regulate blood sugars. This is just a progression of type 2 diabetes. Weight loss can be a sign that your body is not using the insulin effectively. The way you can check this is a urine sample to see if you have glucose in your urine also may need a test for ketones in your urine or blood. Ketones are a sign of your body braking down fats in you body to produce energy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back