Help even more confused

Jane29

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
So wonder if anyone has any idea what’s going on following my test in July I was 43mmol, told to see GP, dr said low carb diet nothing sweet etc etc I did as was told lost almost 2 stone beck for retest next Tuesday, husband just had his test Monday result exactly the same as me 43 mmol, same Dr’s etc he was told fine, no further action any ideas ?

So wonder if anyone has any idea what’s going on following my test in July I was 43mmol, told to see GP, dr said low carb diet nothing sweet etc etc I did as was told lost almost 2 stone beck for retest next Tuesday, husband just had his test Monday result exactly the same as me 43 mmol, same Dr’s etc he was told fine, no further action any ideas ?
Lack of consistency but everybody is an individual and what may be acceptable for one person may not be for someone else, it can depend on other conditions and level of activity. 43mmol/mol is at the bottom end of prediabetes and as such indicates that the body may be struggling to cope with carbohydrates but just being aware of that and cut down on some obvious things like cakes, biscuits, sugary drinks is usually sufficient to maintain that level. The danger is that over time levels creep up.

@Jane29 I will just take a guess here as I am no expert, but if your BMI was over 25 your doctor may have considered that you may be going in the wrong direction and heading to pre or T2, conversely, if your husbands BMI was under 25 your doctor may consider a low carb diet and weight lose as not appropriate for him.

As others have said 43 is at the very bottom end of prediabetes and losing 2 stone will help you no end, so congratulations on that weight lose

Alan 😉

@Jane29 I will just take a guess here as I am no expert, but if your BMI was over 25 your doctor may have considered that you may be going in the wrong direction and heading to pre or T2, conversely, if your husbands BMI was under 25 your doctor may consider a low carb diet and weight lose as not appropriate for him.

As others have said 43 is at the very bottom end of prediabetes and losing 2 stone will help you no end, so congratulations on that weight lose

Alan 😉
Thanks Alan that makes a lot of sense never thought of that

I can completely understand why you found it so confusing though @Jane29 !

Thanks it’s a minefield, all was well until they insisted I go on statin Atorvostatin 2 years ago

Thanks it’s a minefield, all was well until they insisted I go on statin Atorvostatin 2 years ago
Are you having problems with the Atorvastatin? If so, you need to discuss an alternative with your doctor or discuss whether you still need a statin at all. Doctors cannot insist you take any medication. They should explain why they think you need it but ultimately it is up to you to decide if you take them or not, but that should be an informed decision based on your own individual circumstances and cholesterol levels and other risk factors. Statins can be life savers for some people so it is not a decision you should take on a whim if you decide not to take them, but should be considered carefully weighing up the pros and cons.

I have been offered statins and so far I have refused but my cholesterol levels are not high and I keep fit and active. If my cholesterol levels were high and I couldn't lower them through lifestyle changes, then I would take them.

Back