Help blood sugars all over the place

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi matt welcome to the forum.

how long have you been diagnosed? what regime are you on (MDI, pump)?

the term spike is used to describe what happens to your blood glucose levels after you eat - they 'spike' up because of the carbs.

i am coming up 7 year next week i am on MDI i start of with 12 in morning and at lunch then 22 with evening meal and 32 levmir befor bed but just cant get them down :( i manage to get it down to 15.5 thena hour later back up to 18 :(

Matt-

Glad to see you finally joined after me nagging you on MSN!

🙂

are you in good contact with your team at the hospital? it may well be worth going to see one of the DSNs to see if they can spot any trends or make some suggestions.

if your levels are high all day you may need to look at your basal dose.

The correction is fine as I told you. Just keep a good eye on your BGs and fillin the charts I made you.

I still think you need to go to the hospital for advice on your Basal Bolus therapy.

Hi Matt, welcome.

Has your team ever spoken to you about carbohydrate counting? That's what most of us Type 1s on here do. When you have your basal insulin dose sorted out then you can vary your quick acting insulin with each meal, so if you want to eat more or less carbs you take more or less insulin accordingly. It means you can have more freedom with what you eat and still get good sugar levels.

I'd suggest talking to your DSN about it, and have a look at http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/ to find out some more about it.

I hope you have a good browse round here and ask lots of questions!

matt - basal is your background insulin (you take one or two injections of it a day, generally) and you bolus when you eat - you give yourself fast acting insulin.

carb counting is wonderful and makes control a lot easier.

Last edited:
matt - basal is your background insulin (you take one injection of it a day) and you bolus when you eat - you give yourself fast acting insulin.

carb counting is wonderful and makes control a lot easier.

I do two of Levemir lol!

sorry sorry, just thinking of lantus! laura is absolutely right, it can be split.

Don't do that! lol! I thought I was doing it all wrong! Haha!

Also what Matt has neglected to tell you all is that he is on Metaformin and hasn't checked his BG for months before today.

I basically nagged him to go and get a new meter as he had lost his other one.

He wanted me to tell you all that.

so sorry - have edited my original post. blame it on stress and only thinking of myself. apologies again.

It's not a problem. Hope you're OK x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back