Help advise need reassuring

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi just want to see if anyone has been in the same boat as me.. I have had high blood sugars since a got pain in my top right of mouth in my gums and cheek, saw the dentist earlier ong ago she told there is infection with swelling but no pus or temperature so that's OK.

She told me to use cordysl and it will clear up... I said I'm type 1 diabetic bloods been running high she didn't have much to say I don't think she knows about type 1 where as my other dentist did. I kept reassuring myself asking her if she's sure I don't need antibiotics she seems to think I don't.

Maybe it's just me being overly anxious what does everyone think ?

Bloods are high I have to keep doing corrections and upping my novorapid. Well I'm freaked out incase I do need antibiotics.

Anyone else had this before and it cleared up with cordlsy.

Thanks.

Ps.. im back there Monday for a filling

It depends what type of infection it is, if it's caused by a virus then antibiotics won’t do anything anyway. They only work on bacteria. I have had conjunctivitis many times and a pharmacist once told me that if you have a pussy discharge coming from they eyes then it’s more likely to be a bacterial infection, if you have all the other symptoms but no discharge then it’s more likely to be viral. Whether this applies to other parts of the body too I don’t know, but it sounds feasible! Why don’t you try the Corsodyl and see what happens, I had swollen and sore gums when I was pregnant and it helped a lot. Then let them know how you’re getting on when you go back next week. And keep an eye on your blood sugars and give yourself some extra insulin if you know how to adjust that safely (sorry, don’t know how long you’ve been diagnosed or anything!)

It depends what type of infection it is, if it's caused by a virus then antibiotics won’t do anything anyway. They only work on bacteria. I have had conjunctivitis many times and a pharmacist once told me that if you have a pussy discharge coming from they eyes then it’s more likely to be a bacterial infection, if you have all the other symptoms but no discharge then it’s more likely to be viral. Whether this applies to other parts of the body too I don’t know, but it sounds feasible! Why don’t you try the Corsodyl and see what happens, I had swollen and sore gums when I was pregnant and it helped a lot. Then let them know how you’re getting on when you go back next week. And keep an eye on your blood sugars and give yourself some extra insulin if you know how to adjust that safely (sorry, don’t know how long you’ve been diagnosed or anything!)
Thankyou, I'm not sure what kind of infection it is it is caused by a wisdom tooth coming through pushing on my gums..

Thankyou, I'm not sure what kind of infection it is it is caused by a wisdom tooth coming through pushing on my gums..

Have you spoken to your GP too to see what they say? And/or your diabetes team? I’d say if there’s any doubt, antibiotics would be wise personally. My daughter (who is not diabetic) had a gum infection and was given antibiotics when it didn’t clear within a few days. They sorted it.

Oh the sheer agony of cutting wisdom teeth - mind you, it did 100% cure me of being impatient with teething babies. It was a lesson well learned cos I was about 15 or 16 then and over 70 now.

Pain or inflammation increases BG end of story - so if you can't avoid the pain (and you can't) you have to increase your insulin. Do you have 'sick day rules' you use?

Plus Yes I'd ring my doc and request ABs rather than wait 3 days until the infection has a chance to get itself more deep seated - took weeks and weeks before my wisdom teeth stopped doing their thing - meanwhile yes, use Corsodyl. It is good and tastes orrible LOL

The only pain I have is if I smile its sore lol.... yeah it leaves a horrible after taste aswell I even have the mint one. Yeah I have been increasing insulin

Sorry to hear about your infection and the pain you are in @Damien shinoda

Any infection or injury has the potential to push your BGs up, so alongside checking with your GP about the possible need for antibiotics it would be worth using ‘sick day rules’ until your BGs come back to normal

There’s a really handy PDF here if you’ve not got a copy of sickday rules that you usually use

I hope you are feeling much better soon.

Corsodyl usually works well but if it has not improved by your dental visit then they can give you a prescription for antibiotics if they deem it necessary. There are also toothpastes for sensitive teeth which may help. or if it is a specific place then Bongela rubbed on might give some relief

Corsodyl usually works well, and the infection is in the surface by the sound of it, so it'll get to it easily enough.
I try to avoid antibiotics if I can, it's far too easy for things to build up an immunity to them nowadays.

Back