Hello

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi Gaza and welcome.

How did your diagnosis come about and how are you managing it? Which insulin have you been given or are you still managing without at this stage?
Anything particular you are struggling with?

You have certainly come to the right place for guidance and support. The forum is a fantastic resource of knowledge and experience as well as a friendly and empathetic community. I hope you find it as hugely beneficial as I have over the past year and a bit.

Feel free to ask anything.... someone will know at least one answer.... but usually there will be a variety of responses to choose from. Diabetes can be very individual and what works for one person may not work for another. You have to become the expert in your own diabetes, but you will get lots of tips and tricks on how to achieve that here. Make yourself at home.

Gaza51

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi rebrascora
I was diagnosed for type 2, 10 years ago by my GP, since then I have went from 10 stone down to 7 stone 12
My GP just kept giving me more and more meds and sugars kept rising.
After a review with dietetics they sent me to hospital to see a consultant.
Got a c-peptide test done measurable at 1.1 and a antibody test which returned positive.
This all happened 6 months ago now being treated as LADA 1.5 on novo rapid and lancet solo star H1abc 60.
I have gained 2 stone in 6 months so glad they figured it out for i was just wasting away.
It has take sometime to get my head around it with no follow up due to the pandemic but getting there.

Gaza51

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi Gaza and welcome.

How did your diagnosis come about and how are you managing it? Which insulin have you been given or are you still managing without at this stage?

You have certainly come to the right place for guidance and support. The forum is a fantastic resource of knowledge and experience as well as a friendly and empathetic community. I hope you find it as hugely beneficial as I have over the past year and a bit.

Feel free to ask anything.... someone will know at least one answer.... but usually there will be a variety of responses to choose from. Diabetes can be very individual and what works for one person may not work for another. You have to become the expert in your own diabetes, but you will get lots of tips and tricks on how to achieve that here. Make yourself at home.
Hi Gaza and welcome.

Hannah Diabetes UK

Staff member
Hi Gaza,

Welcome to the Forum! Please feel free to participate in any conversations, we have tried to create a friendly environment for people to share as much or as little as they feel comfortable with. So have an explore and do not hesitate to reach out if you need any further support.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Oh dear! There was me thinking someone was on the ball and diagnosed you as LADA straight off. Sorry to hear you had such a rough time getting the correct diagnosis. We see quite a few new members here who are diagnosed Type 2 when their symptoms suggest otherwise and we encourage them to press for C-peptide and GAD testing. Having the correct diagnosis and treatment is so important but unfortunately most GPs are just not clued up on Type 1 let alone LADA or the other even rarer forms of diabetes.

Have you been offered any tech to help manage your BG levels like the Freestyle Libre. I am guessing you haven't been on a course like DAFNE (Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating) or whatever your local equivalent us as all courses have been cancelled due to lockdown.

Gaza51

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Oh dear! There was me thinking someone was on the ball and diagnosed you as LADA straight off. Sorry to hear you had such a rough time getting the correct diagnosis. We see quite a few new members here who are diagnosed Type 2 when their symptoms suggest otherwise and we encourage them to press for C-peptide and GAD testing. Having the correct diagnosis and treatment is so important but unfortunately most GPs are just not clued up on Type 1 let alone LADA or the other even rarer forms of diabetes.

Have you been offered any tech to help manage your BG levels like the Freestyle Libre. I am guessing you haven't been on a course like DAFNE (Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating) or whatever your local equivalent us as all courses have been cancelled due to lockdown.
Hi Barbara
I was due to attend a DAFNE course in April but it was cancelled, I have been offered the Freestyle Libre but I think I have to complete the DAFNE course first.
I might be waiting awhile.
Kind regards
Gary

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Good to hear that you have been offered the Libre and a DAFNE... which is really great by the way. I have been sanctioned by the consultant for the Libre on prescription but I have to have a training course first and like DAFNE they are on hold, so I decided to self fund until I get them on prescription. I am on my second sensor now and absolutely love them. You get so much info from them and the convenience of just swiping whenever you want gives you so much more confidence to make decisions about food and bolus doses and corrections and exercise and going to sleep on a night and being able to scan it in the middle of the night if you need to without having to put a light on and faff around trying to get blood out of a finger and then just roll over and go back to sleep.
They are not cheap to self fund and I certainly can't afford to do it long term but I will be ordering some more to replace these as I really do not want to be without them now.

LucyDUK

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi @Gaza51 welcome to the forum. What a rough ride you’ve had getting the right diagnosis, glad to see the right treatment is working well though.
Youll find lots of support here so any questions, thoughts, tips etc are always welcomed not matter how big or small they seem. :)

Gaza51

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Good to hear that you have been offered the Libre and a DAFNE... which is really great by the way. I have been sanctioned by the consultant for the Libre on prescription but I have to have a training course first and like DAFNE they are on hold, so I decided to self fund until I get them on prescription. I am on my second sensor now and absolutely love them. You get so much info from them and the convenience of just swiping whenever you want gives you so much more confidence to make decisions about food and bolus doses and corrections and exercise and going to sleep on a night and being able to scan it in the middle of the night if you need to without having to put a light on and faff around trying to get blood out of a finger and then just roll over and go back to sleep.
They are not cheap to self fund and I certainly can't afford to do it long term but I will be ordering some more to replace these as I really do not want to be without them now.
It is worth looking into.
In the current climate of Covid 19 it could be a game changer for me.
Have you heard of any complaints of verifine 4mm pen needles, as I am having a few issues lately.

Gaza51

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Gaza51 welcome to the forum. What a rough ride you’ve had getting the right diagnosis, glad to see the right treatment is working well though.
Youll find lots of support here so any questions, thoughts, tips etc are always welcomed not matter how big or small they seem. :)
Thanks for your help
Sometimes I wonder how I am still alive after all this, my GP was terrible, it was only after the hospital Dietician flagged it, due to having lost so much weight.

LucyDUK

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
I must admit I exclaimed “10 years!” out loud when I read your post - it is quite astonishing that you went for so long without further investigation. You must’ve been feeling dreadful!

Gaza51

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I must admit I exclaimed “10 years!” out loud when I read your post - it is quite astonishing that you went for so long without further investigation. You must’ve been feeling dreadful!
Hi Lucy I was down to 7 stone 12 pounds and I felt terrible.
Since I started using insulin I am now up to 9 stone 9 pounds and feel 100 times better.
I am just worried if any long term damage might have happened to before I was diagnosed.
Would you happen to know what HA1bc of 60 equates too? just got my results back from GP.
Thanks
Gary

LucyDUK

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
60 is about 7.5 in old reporting format.
Were you getting all your annual diabetes checks when thought to be Type 2? So kidney function test, eye screening, foot checks etc?

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It is worth looking into.
In the current climate of Covid 19 it could be a game changer for me.
Have you heard of any complaints of verifine 4mm pen needles, as I am having a few issues lately.
No but I am having problems with BD Viva 4mm needles at the moment and so id another member here.
What problems are you having.... needle blocked?

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It is a game changer regardless but certainly in the current climate even more important to have as good control of your diabetes as possible and Libre definitely facilitates that. It was £133 for a starter kit of reader and 2 sensors which is 28 days of as many readings a day as you like... I'm averaging about 35 swipes a day and I'm getting 95% readings in range this week and no hypos in last 7 days.

Gaza51

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi
Yes I was getting my annual checks through my GP, kidney function test, eye screening, foot checks.
But was getting more and more meds to control my rising sugar levels, the last one I had can't remember the name but it was to flush your kidneys of gulcose.
My last eye screening was in march of last year and was confirmed stage 1, feet ok, but long over due check up.
My injections are between 7-8 units of novo-rapid every meal and between 10-12 lancet solo-star at night.
Having problems eating the same food though all the time, and worried about eating fruit, I only eat pears.

Gaza51

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
No but I am having problems with BD Viva 4mm needles at the moment and so id another member here.
What problems are you having.... needle blocked?
Blunt needles causing bad bruising.
I have had a few occasions when the part of the needle that goes into the pen has not been fully inserted.
I did check 2mls before use, but the pen locked halfway through, but managed to force it through.
Then it leaves me wondering did I get the correct dose.
The answer was no a while later when I checked.

LucyDUK

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi
Yes I was getting my annual checks through my GP, kidney function test, eye screening, foot checks.
But was getting more and more meds to control my rising sugar levels, the last one I had can't remember the name but it was to flush your kidneys of gulcose.
My last eye screening was in march of last year and was confirmed stage 1, feet ok, but long over due check up.
My injections are between 7-8 units of novo-rapid every meal and between 10-12 lancet solo-star at night.
Having problems eating the same food though all the time, and worried about eating fruit, I only eat pears.
Once you are able to attend the DAFNE course you should find more confidence in varying your diet a lot more. There is an online version that might help you out in the meantime called BERTIE