Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PinkOwl01

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I am 41, living in London and have Type 2 Diabetes. I was diagnosed a few years ago but have had my medication increased past few months. Am here to participate, learn from the community and hopefully also contribute.

Welcome to the forums.
You will probably notice ,at least in the forums and in the 'other site's forums', that the advice for Type 2's has changed a bit over the last few years as more evidence emerges about using lifestyle / Way Of Eating in order to put it into remission.

Hi and welcome from me too.
Have you tried altering your diet to reduce your carbohydrate intake. Along with a gentle increase in activity (a brisk walk each day is ideal) this can help to manage your BG levels and reduce your HbA1c and perhaps negate the need for increasing your medication.
Many people, including health care professionals, do not realise that it is not just sugar but also starchy carbs which cause our BG levels to rise. Cutting down or removing bread pasta rice potatoes and breakfast cereals including porridge from your diet as well as sugary things and fruit and fruit juice will help to lower your Blood Glucose.... I know it sounds pretty impossible not eating those things or significantly reducing them but once you get your head around it and find all the lovely low carb alternatives, it is actually a very enjoyable way of eating.

Apologies if you have tried this and your BG is still going up. If that is the case then it may be that you were misdiagnosed and you are a slow onset Type 1 diabetic. There is no definitive diagnosis for Type 2..... it is just assumed due to a high HbA1c reading and usually age and size.... many health care professionals are not aware that Type 1 diabetes can occur in mature adults (or have a slow onset) and testing for it is expensive so they assume if you are not a child or young adult and are a bit overweight then you must be Type 2.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention those 2 options. I think it makes a big difference having the correct dietary information and diagnosis and sadly many front line Health Care Professionals... even those that have been trained to deal with diabetics, are misinformed in these respects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back