Hello !

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyline-stu

Hi all, im the other half of a 31 year old type 1, Beth has been type one, for.. well 31 years.!
She's just getting over a cough which has cause untold hassles BS wise, high mostly !
Shes a very light frame, and only 5 ft tall, so im not sure if its her lack of body mass but we find
she can swing massivley, we can go from being 7 and 1 hour later up in the 20's, a large dose of Novorapid for her is 12 units, with lantus being probably 8, though 10 being to much.!
Its proving a real pain in the ar5e to get nice stable figures, we even had to recently get a new style pen, as her long acting, 10 causes hypo's, but 8 goes high ! but the pen only goes in scales of 2.!
Do other find it as dam difficult to find a amount that just works day to day !

Sorry for such a ranty first post.! though I get more stressed about her levels than her !
Stu

Following form that also, whats peoples best ways to get sugars down,

during the summer if B is high the lawnmower comes out, guarenteed to lower her in no time, !!

Stu

Welcome! I hoe you enjoy the forum!

Its so difficult as you know to get good numbers- the longer you spend on the forum the more you will realise that many if us (unfortunately!) struggle! She is not alone!

Look forward to seeing you post. Take care x

hi i am small framed too and find that even half a unit of novorapid really does make all the differece one way or the other. i had discussed this with my dr i cant count how many times and nothing was ever suggested then one day while having a general chat with my dsn she sugested a novo pen junior it is brilliant and goes up in 0.5 unit at a time so for example you can have 8.5 units of insulin , i would tell your other half and get her to ask her dsn about it ( the only down size is they are designed for kids and have silly pictures on the pens) hope this helps

hi Stu lovely to see you have joined up and im sure it will help your other half tremendously , have a good look around and like sugarbum said many of us struggle with the dreaded BGS its the bain of our lives

Following form that also, whats peoples best ways to get sugars down,

during the summer if B is high the lawnmower comes out, guarenteed to lower her in no time, !!

Stu

haha i remember many a time when i would see high levels and start running up and down the stairs.

you've just got to be careful *how* high she is - over 15 and you run the risk of her producing ketones (because there is no insulin in her system, the body cannot use sugar to fuel her activity, so it starts breaking down fat, which produces ketones).

does she carb count etc?

stick around and feel free to ask as many questions as you like!! is Beth able to come on the forum herself?

Hi again,

the ketones area, I understand how it occours, but im interested in what a hospital would do if they are present, certainly for beth, she could be up in the upper 20's sugar wise, but once jabbed up, she would be down withint a hour to 6 or so, so by the time we got to, and got say at a hospital it would be to late, we would be normal, or do the ketones take longer to dissapate. ?

Thanks !

Stu

You can get pens for lantus that go up in 1 units increments and for levemir that go up in half units so hopefully she can get one that is better for her needs.
If she's had it for 31 years how old was she when she was disgnosed?

High ketones are treated with Iv fluids to flush them out and usually IV insulin in hospitals.

Hello,

Just wondered what pen she is using that only does 2 unit increments of Lantus?

The Autopen 24 does single unit increments, as does the disposable Lantus Solostar so this would allow her to take 9 units of Lantus.

Also for better control of the Novorapid, the Novopen 'Junior' is able to do half unit increments. It looks a bit 'kiddy', but I've recently started using a Humapen HD (for my Humalog) as it does half units which can help too.

NiVZ

Hello,

Just wondered what pen she is using that only does 2 unit increments of Lantus?

The Autopen 24 does single unit increments, as does the disposable Lantus Solostar so this would allow her to take 9 units of Lantus.

Also for better control of the Novorapid, the Novopen 'Junior' is able to do half unit increments. It looks a bit 'kiddy', but I've recently started using a Humapen HD (for my Humalog) as it does half units which can help too.

NiVZ

There are two versions of the autopen 24 - one that goes up to 42 units in 2 unit increments and one that goes up to 21 units in sinlge increments.

novo pen junior it is brilliant and goes up in 0.5 unit at a time

the only down size is they are designed for kids and have silly pictures on the pens) hope this helps

I got one the other day by accident (was meant to be a novopen 4, prescription error!) It's a novopen 3 - demi which goes up in 1/2 units but without the silly pictures. I assume it's designed for adults, dark blue and orange, much better than the red and yellow one I had before! (still want the novopen 4 though!)

There are two versions of the autopen 24 - one that goes up to 42 units in 2 unit increments and one that goes up to 21 units in sinlge increments.

Ah, was about to ask as mine only goes in 2s, something to investigate.... Although I tend to take more than 21 units so the one that goes in 1s would still be a hassle.

It's a novopen 3 - demi which goes up in 1/2 units but without the silly pictures. I assume it's designed for adults, dark blue and orange.

I use this pen and it's been invaluable to me. I am insulin sensitive so need to be able to use half units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back