Hello!

MrKev

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
I have type 2. About 3 months ago I was put on Lantus
Solostar insulin my HbA1c was 73. I have reduced my morning carbs but not changed the rest of my diet and have gained 10 kg.
Any tips appreciated.
I am male aged 66

Last edited:
Welcome @MrKev to the forum.

Lots of knowledgeable members will come along with help, tips and advice to help you in whatever area you need.

Just ask, but the more specific you can be the better

Without knowing anymore about your diagnosis, my only tips at the moment would be

1) Diet
2) Weight
3) Exercise

Alan 😉

Hi @MrKev and welcome to the forum!

I'll leave it to our forum Users to share their points, however a lot of things quite often fall on what you eat and how much you move. Depending on any other conditions or your lifestyle, changes aren't always possible, however they're always encouraged. It's about finding something that you can 'stick to' and doesn't feel like you're punishing yourself. Have you looked at what you eat day-to-day? Maybe there are things you can swap in your foods throughout the day, not only in the morning?

Hi and welcome from me too.

Sorry to hear that you are now needing insulin. What sort of Lantus dose are you taking? ie How many units?

You mention 10kg weight gain. I assume you did not want to gain weight?
Can you give us an idea of a typical day's food ie. An average breakfast lunch and evening meal and any snacks?

Are you able to be physically active and do you have a daily routine of exercise or activity. It doesn't have to be anything overly exertive. A brisk daily walk is ideal if you are able?

I think this is a personal thing. I've heard it said that Lantus (or insulin generally) can be associated with weight gain in some people, but I used Lantus for a decade and never gained weight because of it, vs other basal insulins I switched from.

I have gained weight, and lost weight over the years, but that has been more dependent on how much energy I was taking in, rather than the insulin itself.

The only time I did see weight gain, which may be what has happened in your case, was at the very beginning after diagnosis. Suddenly my body was able to access the energy in food, and get it into cells, rather than it staying stuck in my blood stream causing mischief. Perhaps, although your menu hasn't changed, you are now able to process the food properly in a way that your metabolism was struggling to before? So your BGs may be coming down because the food energy (carbohydrates) can now make it into cells, and some of that previously inaccessible excess energy is being stored as fat. It may be that with this more efficient processing, you'll need to adjust your menu slightly to rebalance things?

Back