Hello

Highvelt

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi, I'm type1 on a tandem pump / g6 cgm, and my sugars never do what they're supposed to, (rising during sports etc).

Hoping for a bit of advice on work, as my local branch of a large posh supermarket doesn't believe diabetes is real or that it affects my life, or the way I work, despite their own occupational health team telling them they have to let me go eat something to recover from hypos or take an extra shot of insulin when I'm high and my pump can't cope, and definitely not allowing me to go to the loo outside of my 1 break a day. I have tried to show them that is is a legally protected condition under the disability act 1995 etc, but the managers refuse to acknowledge anything to do with it, or that reasonable adjustments need to be made.

Has anyone had experience with this sort of situation, or any advice on how to get them to actually listen, apart from hypoing to the point of needing an ambulance.

Thank you

Gosh @Highvelt

Sorry to hear your employer isn’t offering to make “reasonable adjustments”.

I believe the legal basis now falls under the more recent Equality Act, rather than the earlier DDA. But the reasonable adjustments are still to be expected.

There’s a page on the main Diabetes UK website outlining your rights and responsibilties at work

You might also like to call the Diabetes UK helpline (number at the top of the page) which is open 9-6 Mon-Fri. DUK have an advocacy team who may be able to offer some suggestions?

In the meantime, are there any practical tweaks and changes you might make to your diabetes management to reduce the frequency and severity of some of those BG variations?

Back