Hello!

kirsten

Pronouns
She/Her
Hi! I'm Kirsten,

I recently got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, I'm 34.
I was admitted to hospital with a dka, I had eight cardiac arrests and I was intubated three times, a stay in icu for two months.
I'm currently on two types of insulin, trurapi and toujeo. We're still trying to find correct dosages and everything as my glucose levels still go really high.
I'm still so confused and overwhelmed by everything. So I'm hoping this forum can help .

Welcome to the forum @kirsten

Yikes! What a horrific time you’ve had with your diagnosis!

No wonder it has knocked you for six :care:

It often takes a little while to get doses sorted, especially if your flagging pancreas gets a bit of a second wind once you’ve taken some exogenous insulin.

The good news(?!) is that there has never been a better time history to be diagnosed with T1 diabetes. Modern treatment options and insulins make improved BG outcomes tantalisingly possible.

The insulins you are on should give you a flexible combination of background and meal insulin coverage.

Two books which are popular on the forum for giving a solid grounding in T1 are:

Type 1 Diabetes in Children Adolescents and Young People by Ragnar Hanas. Don't worry about the title - this book is relevant to people of all ages!

Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner

There’s also a free online course which you can work through which would give you a thorough grounding:
www.bertieonline.org.uk

And keep asking questions too

Welcome to the forum @kirsten

Yikes! What a horrific time you’ve had with your diagnosis!

No wonder it has knocked you for six :care:

It often takes a little while to get doses sorted, especially if your flagging pancreas gets a bit of a second wind once you’ve taken some exogenous insulin.

The good news(?!) is that there has never been a better time history to be diagnosed with T1 diabetes. Modern treatment options and insulins make improved BG outcomes tantalisingly possible.

The insulins you are on should give you a flexible combination of background and meal insulin coverage.

Two books which are popular on the forum for giving a solid grounding in T1 are:

Type 1 Diabetes in Children Adolescents and Young People by Ragnar Hanas. Don't worry about the title - this book is relevant to people of all ages!

Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner

There’s also a free online course which you can work through which would give you a thorough grounding:
www.bertieonline.org.uk

And keep asking questions too
Thank you so much for those I'll take any sources I can get right now

@kirsten You certtainly had a difficult time at the start of your diabetes journey - it is very overwhelming and confusing to start with - but you really are in the best place here on this forum - you will learn so much from people who have and still are having similar experiences with this condition - don't be afraid to ask anything you want, and the wonderful people on here will try and help (It's helped me massively) - good luck and glad you found us

Back