Hello!

Mark72

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I'm Mark. I discovered the forums today but have been using some of the recipes for a while. I was diagnosed on 7 June I don't recall my HbA1C but the finger prick test was upwards of 14. I'd just swapped doctors 6 years after moving house and it turns out I'd had an elevated reading 12 years ago that hadn't been followed up on by either previous doctors surgeries hence undiagnosed and running rampant for way too long! The medical team suggested my body had probably adapted somewhat over time as otherwise that was very high. Coupled with that was very elevated cholesterol which I'm also being treated for but with the help of Metformin, a better diet and more exercise have the blood sugar back to reasonable levels.

I do have lots more to do on the exercise side and an aim to lose at least a stone and a half and next week we have a wedding to go to in France which might be a bit of a test or I might just starve!

Hi, I'm Mark. I discovered the forums today but have been using some of the recipes for a while. I was diagnosed on 7 June I don't recall my HbA1C but the finger prick test was upwards of 14. I'd just swapped doctors 6 years after moving house and it turns out I'd had an elevated reading 12 years ago that hadn't been followed up on by either previous doctors surgeries hence undiagnosed and running rampant for way too long! The medical team suggested my body had probably adapted somewhat over time as otherwise that was very high. Coupled with that was very elevated cholesterol which I'm also being treated for but with the help of Metformin, a better diet and more exercise have the blood sugar back to reasonable levels.

I do have lots more to do on the exercise side and an aim to lose at least a stone and a half and next week we have a wedding to go to in France which might be a bit of a test or I might just starve!
The French are renowned for their good cheese, fish, meats and fresh veg and wines so it may not be as bad as you think. The challenge may be the croissants and French bread.
Have a look at this link for some more menu ideas for low carb approach. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
Many find reducing carbs has a positive effect on reducing cholesterol even not eating low fat but normal healthy fats as they can improve your ratios of good to bad cholesterol.

We had a few days inFrance last month and as long as you stay off the chips you will be fine!!!! Yes ignore the croissants etc etc, I stuck to the meat and cheese with a hard boiled egg for breakfast, lovely salads for lunch and mostly fish for dinner.I did not snack, but it's hard and a wee treat will help the holiday , but don't go overboard and if you do well .....it's a holiday. Back on track when home.

Unfortunately it's a family dinner the night before and who knows what for the wedding and then back on a plane the next morning so I'm pretty much at the mercy of the caterers. Some good ideas for breakfast there though. I'm going to miss the macaroons though :(

I appreciate but if you stick to salady things , meat, cheeses etc you will be fine at a buffet. French do not do sausage rolls etc etc, and nobody knows you are having fizzy water and not fizzy champagne. It's a wedding, so enjoy. Me, I love France. Xxx x

Check the fruit option for dessert, look at the hints on here before you go. There is so much info here that it is worth trying to have a read before you go. Forewarned etc etc. BUT enjoy the wedding, it's only a couple of days.

Welcome to the forum @Mark72

Hope you have a lovely time at the wedding, and that the travel (and food) all work out well for you 🙂

So I just a couple of minutes ago got off the phone with the nurse at my local GPs who gave me the results of my blood tests taken on Monday. My HbA1C is down from 90 to 39, overall cholesterol from 4.1 to 2.8, triglycerides from 7.3 to 1.1 and other similar drops. Probably best of all, the cardiac risk has come down significantly.

Also importantly for me I've lost weight from 95kg down to 83kg and generally feel much better in myself and with much more energy. I'll continue to keep an eye on everything and make sure progress continues in the right direction and aim to take up at least one old sport other than shooting internet spaceships all weekend🙂

What I've not talked about before is that I have a 14 year old daughter who's just starting her GCSE courses and my biggest worries from the whole diabetes and cholesterol/cardiac risk have been if I'll be there for her in the future and again, small steps but from where I was in the summer things feel much more positive.

@Mark72 as someone who was diagnosed at the end of July I hope to achieve reductions. I am very impressed on your overall improvements. Are you still on any medication?
Your family must be so pleased. I assume the wedding was blissfully happy.

@Mark72 as someone who was diagnosed at the end of July I hope to achieve reductions. I am very impressed on your overall improvements. Are you still on any medication?
Your family must be so pleased. I assume the wedding was blissfully happy.
Hi Saffron, the nurse said to keep on both the metformin and the statins at least for now as there are benefits to my heart health from both and that I need to keep everything up and not take it as return to the old normal.

I remember your username from around the time I first joined, I hope things are going well? I find so much I need to remember now and I'm barely capable of remembering if I took my last set of meds or not!

My wife's cousin's wedding was lovely thank you. A very nice French chateaux with 36 Celsius sun each of the three days and a lovely Airbnb stay in a little old village called Montfort-sur-Argens with an old templar fort on the hill at one end. It's definitely an area I'd go back and visit again.

Blimey, some stunning results there Mark, congrats!

Cracking bit of Provence around there, glad you enjoyed yourselves - and that you're doing so well on the D front. Well done you!

Back