Status
Not open for further replies.

pallebg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi all
I'm type 2, living with it without any major problems, apart from Charcots foot. Is disling me from going on long walks, couple hundred yards and I am finished.

Looking forward to see what I can get out of this forum and where I might be able to contribute with my experience.

Best regards
Pallebg

Welcome @pallebg 🙂 Sorry to hear you have Charcot’s Foot. @Flower is one of the members here who has Charcot’s Foot and a lot of experience. There are others too.

Hi and welcome @pallebg

I'm sorry to hear youre dealing with Charcot foot. It is a very challenging complication and one that need constant vigilance to check for skin problems and breakdowns.

Are you in a cast or aircast boot? Has your foot changed shape permanently? are you using crutches or a stick to walk?
Putting a lot of pressure through a damaged foot isn't a good idea with Charcot. Is there any non weight bearing activity you can do instead for exercise eg swimming.

There are a few knee walker walking aids available where you rest your damaged leg off the ground and use your other leg - provided it's a good leg and not Charcot as well - to scoot along and keep weight off your Charcot foot. It's a good way to get around if you are struggling but is also exercise. Some knee walkers can be hired to see how you get on.

The main thing is to protect your Charcot foot from wear and tear and limit any further damage. Request a referral to orthotics for either custom made insoles or custom made shoes to protect the vulnerable areas of your feet. Best Wishes

Last edited:
I have got this nearly 5 months in most frustrating thing for me is not knowing when I can come out of cast and actually walk again and seeing foot temperatures not coming down quick enough.

Welcome to the forum @pallebg

Sorry to hear how difficult your Charcot foot is making it to walk long distances. :( How is your diabetes behaving generally? Are you on medications to help with your blood glucose management?

Hope you get some positive news soon too @dalebyrne88

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back