Hello people

Alan44

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Just a quick hello to see if I've set up my profile correctly.
This whole diabetic thing is new to me, well 10 weeks new since I had my blood test 10 weeks ago, so still learning what it means and what I can do about it.
I have used Dr Google to get the idea of what I need to do and lots of info from this site.

As soon as I found out I was diabetic I bought a Kinetic monitoring kit and started to lose weight.

I was a stone over weight (according to the NHS BMI scale) and have in 10 weeks lost a stone and a half.
I am eating all the right things and doing as much exercise as I can.

I am very target driven and this diagnosis has given me a target to be sure

I don't fully understand all the blood/sugar measurements, but to give you an idea of where I stand at the moment, my results from the doctors test (which was blood from the arm) was 54. I have another test in about 5 weeks time.

As for me, I'm married and we have two Cockapoo's, which keep us busy most of the time.

Thank you for taking the time to read and look forward to chatting with you

Alan

Welcome @Alan44 🙂 I love cockapoos! They’re so friendly and bouncy!

Well done on your weight loss!

I don't fully understand all the blood/sugar measurements, but to give you an idea of where I stand at the moment, my results from the doctors test (which was blood from the arm) was 54. I have another test in about 5 weeks time.

Welcome to the forum @Alan44

The 54 that you have been given is most likely your HbA1c.

A diagnosis with diabetes is confirmed by more than one HbA1c above 48mmol/mol

HbA1c is a measure of how many red blood cells have been affected by circulating glucose. The higher the glucose concentration, the more red blood cells are likely to have been affected. So HbA1c gives a reflection of general glucose levels over the preceding 3-4 months (the lifespan of red blood cells)

There’s more information about HbA1c here

There’s more information about HbA1c here
Thanks, that would explain why the Docs want to do another blood test 3 months after the first one

Hello there @Alan44 and welcome to the forum....congratulations on your weight loss and @Inka I'm a big Cockapoo fan.They're one of my favourite dogs and my fiencees sister has two of them and they are so cute,friendly and adorable.

Last edited:
Hello there @Alan44 and welcome to the forum....congratulations on your weight loss and @Inka I'm a big Cockapoo fan.They're one of my favourite dogs and my fiencees sister has two of them and they are so cute,friendly and adorable.
Hello Stephen, Thanks for the welcome
Cockapoo's are great dogs, but as mad as a bag of frogs.
We walk the dogs in the morning which is all sniff, poo and wee, so I go out again for a more brisk walk to get some decent exercise

Aint life fun 😉

Back