Status
Not open for further replies.

fredhaf

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi!
I’ve been a Type 1 for 67 years, having been diagnosed at the age of two. Have just begun my journey with a FreeStyle Libre 2! What a shock! I find it hard work, although I’ve only been using it for 2 days.

It really is an eye opener...
I'm still struggling with certain aspects of what it is revealing but it's definitely the proverbial game changer.

I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to know more about your journey with diabetes over 67 years. I'm sure it's fascinating.

Myself I've had it for 34 years and thank my lucky stars

a) I didn't have to go through my teenage years at home with my parents with it.
b) I was put on MDI pretty promptly after diagnosis and only having to spend a few months drawing up and mixing insulins (no sterilising syringes or not having a clue what my blood sugar was!)
c) no complications...touch wood.

Welcome to the forum @fredhaf

It’s amazing to be able to see what goes on ‘between the dots’ isn’t it. And in some ways there’s a bit of relief about the information just being there as information in a steady stream - rather than each check feeling like a ’will it be a good one or a bad one’ situation.

Not that they ever were ‘good’ or ‘bad’. But it was a sort of change of mindset for me to respond and react to the actual numbers, rather than trying to second guess and ‘cheat’ by deciding when to take a peek behind the BG curtain! (basically basing adjustments on no information, rather than just seeing what was going on and responding to it)

Diabetes can be a silly game some times!

It really is an eye opener...
I'm still struggling with certain aspects of what it is revealing but it's definitely the proverbial game changer.

I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to know more about your journey with diabetes over 67 years. I'm sure it's fascinating.

Myself I've had it for 34 years and thank my lucky stars

a) I didn't have to go through my teenage years at home with my parents with it.
b) I was put on MDI pretty promptly after diagnosis and only having to spend a few months drawing up and mixing insulins (no sterilising syringes or not having a clue what my blood sugar was!)
c) no complications...touch wood.
I think I was comparatively lucky in having Type1 since the age of 2 as I never knew anything different. When in hospital, I saw teenagers who had just been diagnosed and who weren’t able to cope with the shock. At least I was spared that.
My mum must have had a steep learning curve, handling all that my diagnosis entailed and I congratulate her for succeeding in raising an otherwise healthy child.
I remember some horrific hypos when I woke up unable to move on one side of my body and having difficulty breathing but I survived and thankfully that no longer happens.
The medical profession and I haven’t always had a good relationship and as a result I haven’t sought advice as much as I could have done!
One of my daughters has been diagnosed with gestational diabetes but luckily is intelligent enough to research and follow medical advice. My heart certainly sunk when she told me. We just have to keep our fingers crossed!
Anyway, that is part of my story which is continuing with being prescribed with a Freestyle Libre 2 sensor after repeated battles to get it since moving to Hertfordshire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back