Hello just joined

Big Pete

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, just joined the group, was diagnosed with type 2 early July so still getting to grips with things, I was pre-diabetes for at least 15 years but just went over by 1 point so no meds yet, 1st check up since diagnosis due in couple of weeks. Hope to learn from this group. Did search for a local support group but there isn't one in my area and only had a couple of responses on FB as to if anyone would be interested so shelved that idea for now.

Welcome @BigPete. Since you have been pre-D for many years and now just into a D diagnosis I suspect some minor tweaks with your lifestyle could be more than sufficient to get you back below that threshold of 48mmol/L. And there is plenty of information from the site itself (the Learning Zone, orange tab on the drop down menu) as well as from members themselves with their experiences and different approaches to managing their D.

Just be aware there are significant differences between managing T2 and other Types of D as well as considerable differences in how individuals became T2. So "what to do first" might feel confusing! While you are sorting that out, if you'd like to tell us a little more about yourself, people can make their responses more tailored to you. Eg: activity and exercise levels or any mobility issues, weight to lose or gain, unusual dietary needs, working or retired (hence time available to give to managing your D). Things tried during the last 15 years, if anything? You don't have to tell us any of this, if you'd rather not. Happy reading!

Hi all, just joined the group, was diagnosed with type 2 early July so still getting to grips with things, I was pre-diabetes for at least 15 years but just went over by 1 point so no meds yet, 1st check up since diagnosis due in couple of weeks. Hope to learn from this group. Did search for a local support group but there isn't one in my area and only had a couple of responses on FB as to if anyone would be interested so shelved that idea for now.
On my way out just now but have a look at this link which I found really helpful https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

Welcome to the forum @Big Pete

You can search for local support groups near you here

Or you might like to contact your local / regional office who may be able to give you some pointers, or support you in getting a group going?

Well done for holding your diabetes diagnosis in check for so many years! Some people find their metabolism changes over time, and further adjustments can be necessary to help your metabolism cope with your menu.

It may be that you are now less tolerant to carbohydrates than you used to be?

Welcome to the forum @Big Pete

You can search for local support groups near you here

Or you might like to contact your local / regional office who may be able to give you some pointers, or support you in getting a group going?

Well done for holding your diabetes diagnosis in check for so many years! Some people find their metabolism changes over time, and further adjustments can be necessary to help your metabolism cope with your menu.

It may be that you are now less tolerant to carbohydrates than you used to be?
Searched for local groups and asked at doctors and at diabetes UK but none in the area, got an email back from regional office 're starting a group but hesitant to try starting it alone

Welcome @BigPete. Since you have been pre-D for many years and now just into a D diagnosis I suspect some minor tweaks with your lifestyle could be more than sufficient to get you back below that threshold of 48mmol/L. And there is plenty of information from the site itself (the Learning Zone, orange tab on the drop down menu) as well as from members themselves with their experiences and different approaches to managing their D.

Just be aware there are significant differences between managing T2 and other Types of D as well as considerable differences in how individuals became T2. So "what to do first" might feel confusing! While you are sorting that out, if you'd like to tell us a little more about yourself, people can make their responses more tailored to you. Eg: activity and exercise levels or any mobility issues, weight to lose or gain, unusual dietary needs, working or retired (hence time available to give to managing your D). Things tried during the last 15 years, if anything? You don't have to tell us any of this, if you'd rather not. Happy reading!
Thank you. 6'7" hence tag name, soon to be 63 years old! Didn't try anything different over last 15 years as diabetes was in the family. Not drunk alcohol for about 8 years, had 2 mini strokes 10 and 8 years ago, early retirement, used to have a little dog but lost him 2 yrs ago not been on my bicycle since jarring my knees carrying him back home, I know I need to get back on my bike or walking but just can't get motivated these days, potter around in the garden growing a few potatoes strawberries tomatoes and flowers. Not had any cakes biscuits ( hard work as liked to do a bit of baking) crisps jam marmalade cut down on potatoes and pastry since diagnosis and have lost about 7.5kg. Got a monitor foc from pharmacy but have to pay for test strips, do a test 3 or 4 times a day.
Basically still trying to get my head round it all.

So, @BigPete, I'm far from the ideal person to be having this dialogue with! I came to my D abruptly after surgery that took my pancreas away and then was instantly insulin dependent. So my knowledge and experience of T2 is very limited. But there are many here who know a great deal about managing T2.

What I do know is that it's something that can be managed satisfactorily - and does not need you to wear sackcloth or ashes! Just steady alterations to lifestyle that YOU can make within YOUR comfort zone and these do not have to be so horrible that you quickly abandon them and go backwards. Motivation can be a challenge: for many people having a constantly raised Blood Glucose (BG) level can in itself lead to a sense of lethargy and thus loss of motivation.

Losing surplus weight will certainly help, not just with managing your D but in terms of your own personal feel good factor. So well done in your weight lost so far. There is a lot of evidence that excess visceral fat can "strangle" [not necessarily a recognised medical term] your pancreas and hinder normal good metabolic processes - such as creating insulin, improving your body's natural resistance to any insulin (home grown or injected) and thus not allowing glucose from digested food (all carbs) to linger in your blood.

Having a monitor can be very helpful; each monitor type uses their own test strips and, as you know, that's the expensive bit. Sometimes it is cost effective to source the better value strips and then purchase the appropriate monitor for those strips. I get mine on prescription, so not well placed to advise on best value for testing at home; others will make suggestions. But strategic testing to narrow down which foods result in rapid BG rises that then endure for a long time and worsen your overall situation is really helpful.

You could have a strategy of testing immediately before you eat then 2 hrs after the first mouthful, for all meals. BUT this can become a burden and many folk find it easier and more successful to concentrate on one meal type - get that sorted, then move on. So, find a breakfast that you can enjoy without causing BG spikes after testing; repeat a few times to confirm the results then adopt that breakfast as a solution for you. Once content look at your lunch meals; then your tea/dinner meals. You already appreciate that it's a matter of finding lower carb meals; all carbs convert into glucose, so not just the sweet things.

Don't think you must go NO carb; low carb is often considered as less than 130gms of carbs daily - which is by no means impossible. Some people go lower; but trying to go very low, ie keto, needs its own strategy and a deliberate decision. At the end of any day your brain demands glucose and if we don't eat carbs our brain will extract glucose from proteins and fats until it is satisfied - with other consequences.

Anyway enough from me - you are in a good place here in this forum. You can find a lot of other stuff from a Google search; some of that overwhelming and dogmatic; if from out of UK however good such advice might be (and it is not always good) it's not always easy to do un UK. Lots here to help which can be trusted and folk here will answer questions which inevitably will occur.

Getting your head around it all is a challenge. My suggestion is go slowly and steadily, as you seem to already be doing AND work on one meal time initially, then progress. You've reached out - a BIG step @BigPete. The next steps should get steadily easier; try and set yourself modest targets for more exercise and activity. Good luck.

Back