Hello - I'm new here and have a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I have had D2 for some times now, I controlled it through diet for a long time, I also have a auto immune problem and take medication for that. Due to my auto-immune problem I was put on steroids, this played havoc with my diabetes and I am now on metformin and was recently given a blood sugar monitor.

I checked my blood sugar about 20 minutes ago and the result showed 28.8, everything I've read has said it should be about 5.

I have been off my food for a couple of weeks could that be what caused it, I am having dizzy spells, but don't want to bother my doctor or nurse unless absolutely necessary

Hi @Grannia. Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear you are not well. That level is very high, you must be feeling awful.
I know steroids do raise blood glucose levels but 28 is very high. To be perfectly honest I think you need to go to A & E esp as you seem to be having some symptoms
Please let us know how you get on.

Hi @Grannia. Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear you are not well. That level is very high, you must be feeling awful.
I know steroids do raise blood glucose levels but 28 is very high. To be perfectly honest I think you need to go to A & E esp as you seem to be having some symptoms
Please let us know how you get on.
Thank you for your reply, had my blood checked, Doctor phoned this morning, It's been climbing for a wee while, and is now a "dangerous risk" (not sure what that means) I explained that I had a bereavement and haven't been eating properly for a couple of weeks, but they say it has taken more than that to get it this high, and if we don't get it under control then I'll be put on insulin injections, which is something I would like to avoid. I have to go back to the doctor on Monday. I am on Metformin, Gliclazide and now added Dapagliflozin. In the past I just treated it as one of those things I have to live with, but now I am really quite concerned. When I checked my blood today before lunch it registered 31.5, and now 29.3 which is higher than yesterday, but going in the right direction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back