Hello from me!

Rescue999

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Hello,

I am a 29-year-old soon to be 30 married man living in the South West. My diabetes story is as follows:

I was diagnosed with type 1 when I was 16/17 following so blood tests because I had frequent and loose stools. I was put on insulin but was not good at remembering to check my sugar levels and also take my insulin. I also had anxiety about being different from my friends, having to eat at different times watch what I ate and drank.

I went off to uni when I turned 18 and things went downhill. I stopped taking all my medication, not because I wanted to harm myself. Again it was the lack of fitting in with my friends that I was most worried about and I didn't feel unwell, yes I had the common signs of high blood sugar peeing at night drinking a lot but I didn't remember a time when I was not like that so it just seemed normal to me.

When I got home from uni after graduating my mum took me to see our GP as she was worried about me. He said because I was alive that I was not type 1 diabetic and I went through the rigmore of being noncompliant with my medication.

It has not just been diabetic medication it has been all medication even when having a tooth infection I would take the meds until there was no pain and then forget one dose then forget one a day or so later then all hell would break loose and I would not take any.

10 years passed of no medication and things caught up with me. I went for my 1st diabetic eye screening in over 8 years and bingo I had changes at the back of my eyes. I now have diabetic retinopathy in both eyes and have been having laser eye surgery in both eyes since Christmas 2022 my first appointment being on the 23rd.

I will say that I have now been fully medication-compliant since Jan 2022. I have had blips in the road and the odd missed dose here and there but have been 99.9% compliant.

I have my amazing family and my amazing wife to thank for standing by me all of the way I know I have not been the best but I'm trying to turn that around.

Welcome to the forum

Hi @Rescue999 Glad that you have found the forum, where there is plenty of experience to tap into, as well as people who understand the pressures of managing diabetes day to day.

I am surprised that they have changed your diagnosis from Type 1 to Type 2. Did your Gp explain why this came about. A common test for Type 1 is a GAD antibody test, which would show that there are antibodies present that destroy your beta cells. After years of Type 1 these will have done their job and they will no longer be present so this could come back negative. A more expensive test is the c-peptide test which measures how much insulin your body is producing. In Type 1 this will get less and less but after 16 years I am still dribbling out a tiny tiny tiny amount, so there is a beta cell hiding somewhere.
It would be useful to know how the change of diagnosis came about.

It is great that you have the support of your family around you and how they have helped you along the way. How well is your current treatment working.

If you are happy to tell us what meds you are on it will help us in our replies.

Hi @Rescue999 and welcome to the forum!

Gosh that's quite some time to go without meds, but I can sympathise with the want to 'fit in' with your peers when you're young. I'm glad to hear your family has been so supportive and have helped you take care of yourself! How have you been feeling since going on meds? Any negative symptoms or perhaps positive outcomes?

Back