Hello from a lost and confused newbie :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MunchyM

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone,

I have just been diagnosed type 2 on 21.02.2022 with HbA1c of 63. I've been given 2x 500g Metformin a day and no other information except to look at the DiabetesUK website. I am booked in on 14th March for a 30min appointment with the diabetes nurse so hopefully I'll find out more then.

I'd been feeling unwell for a couple of years but every time I went to the doctors I was told it was my anemia/Vitamin D/Thyroid playing up. I got quite ill after Christmas and they finally took me seriously and did a lot of blood tests. Out of the 7 tests, 6 came back abnormal. I was told over the phone to pick up a new prescription and book the 30min appointment. When I rang up to book it the receptionist asked if it was for a Diabetes appointment and I said I hadnt been told I was diabetic but knew my blood test results werent good. The receptionist said I was diabetic and I should have a look on here. I suppose I knew it was coming as both sets of grandparents and my Uncle are diabetic. I also work nights and the Occupational health nurse said that increases your risk of type 2 by 37%.

I'm feeling a bit lost as reading on here and everyone seems to be taking insulin/finger prick tests/glucose readings/changing their diet etc but none of this has been mentioned to me so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing for the best. I've made a few changes to my diet such as more veggies and less carbs/sugar, trying to check food labels and make better choices but its so overwhelming and I dont even know if I should be changing my diet at this point or if the Metformin is supposed to do something to help while I eat the same? Its all a bit scary and confusing! I have some sympathetic work colleagues who think its funny to jump out at me and shout 'bread' 'pasta' 'cake' and tell me my toes are going to drop off lol

I understand I need to get HbA1c down but am yet to understand the relationship of it to food. For example if I eat 'well' all week and have a treat day on a Saturday will that prevent the HbA1c from coming down?
I've heard it varies from person to person whether a certain food will spike your blood sugar or not and by how much but how am I supposed to know whats going on with me if I'm not testing? I feel like I'm just winging it at the moment and it doesn't sit well with me as I'm very much a numbers and data gal... I'm very much a panicker if I'm not in control of something so its causing me a bit of stress.

Take care, MunchyM 🙂

Hi @MunchyM
Just thought I'd say hello and welcome as I've woken up at silly o'clock lol
I can see how you are feeling totally overwhelmed with the knowledge that you are T2 but have had no relevant information as yet. I hope the appointment with your DN will answer a lot of your questions - TIP - write down any/all questions to take with you, so you cover everything you are unsure of/need answers to.
Yes most of us T2s do finger pricks and test our blood glucose (BG) level before meals and 2 hours after the first bite. We mainly have to self-fund this though, there are probably way to many of us for the NHS to affordably cover the cost of providing monitors, test strips and lancets. They do cover it for T1s as it is more essential for them, as it is for anyone on insulin.
63 isn't too bad a level, it is possible to say no to metformin if you wish to try "lifestyle changes" of diet and exercise first - which is what I am doing right now. I have set a limit for the amount of carbs I have in a day - please do not cut carbs too fast as that will not do you any favours, look at one meal at a time ie breakfasts or lunches or dinners - get one sorted before moving on to the next. Watch out for hidden carbs - as you rightly said that includes bread (try lower carb wholemeal), rice (there are various alternatives), pasta (again various alternatives), cakes, pastries, sweets, chocolate, beans and legumes and chickpeas etc, go for veggies that grow above the ground (under the ground are heaviest carbs, such as potatoes, carrots etc - moderation and smaller portions are best with checking BG for "high spikes") - but beware of peas and sweetcorn as they are sweet veggies. Fruit - berries are best plus melon is okay, apples and pears for a treat, avoid bananas and other tropical fruit. Finger-pricking puts T2s in control, although we are often told not to do it, that it is best not to do it - many excuses with the usual "I can't give you one on prescription" - but it is the best thing we can do for ourselves to prevent spikes and reduce our carb intake - which will also help you lose any excess weight you might have. No worrying about calories, only worry about lowering the carbs. Keep an online food diary, lots of free versions about, I use MyFitnessPal as it suits me - have it on laptop and app on phone, so can add to it wherever I am. It helps keep a tally of my daily intake (and calories burned by exercise - walking/steps, cycling, swimming, dancing, gym etc etc) so I can see exactly where I am on carbs, fats and proteins - fats are good as your body will burn that when you have lower carbs.
I am not going to swamp you with anything more, but do check out the Learning Zone on here, follow the T2 section and you will learn a lot from that from those with T2. If you have any specific questions, just ask, there will always be someone who will help you walk your path - yes, you are right, we are all different and have to find our own way, but we do it together - you are never alone. We are with you every step of the way. You can do this!

Good morning Jan,

Thank you for your reply. I wasnt aware Metformin was a choice. It all happened in a bit of a rush. I had blood taken and 3 days later I had a phone call from the doctors saying they've sent a prescription across. I just assumed that was how it worked and it was past the 'diet can help' stage so didnt question it :( I've been on Metformin for a week now so its possibly a bit late now but I will ask the DN when I have my consultation. It seems a bit backwards - surely you'd see the nurse and come up with a plan and then start meds? I feel like I could probably have tried the diet side of things before the pills as honestly I was eating atrociously. I've never been a cake/sweets fan but lived off potatoes/pastry/bread/crisps etc so there was definitely room for improvement! I've had joked that I'm more of a Carbitarian than a Vegetarian... I do have some positive moments where I realise this could be a good thing as its going to force me to eat better and my BMI says I have about 15kg to lose. I've tried so many diets in the past but never stick to anything so hopefully this gives me the kick up the backside I need as there's consequences to failing.

I will have a look at the Learning Zone. There's so many resources and stories to get through but hopefully I can take some knowledge away with me and stop worrying as much. I think it'll just take some time to get my head around what is 'allowed' and what a proper portion size should be (oops). So much goes through your head like I'll never be able to eat a cake again or another jacket potato etc but I'm slowly realising that I absolutely can eat those things but maybe in a different style to before and in a smaller portion for special occasions. Funny how the mind always jumps to the worst outcome first.

I hope you managed to get some sleep and thank you again. MunchyM

@MunchyM. Sorry to learn of your diagnosis, and that you're having to wait a while for your next NHS appointment. Diabetes is a long term condition so don't panic! I'm sure that just being aware of your diagnosis, and looking into what diet and exercise changes you might make will already be bringing improvements. These changes can be gradual, and most of us can afford the odd "lapse" too.
Good luck. Nick

GPs seem to use fairly rigid criteria to decide whether to put people on metformin so if HbA1C is over X then prescribe metformin and I suppose when people would have had a face to face discussion when given their diagnosis the GP or nurse would assess what motivation somebody would have to make changes to their diet. The bottom line is though that metformin will only help as it enables the body to use the insulin it produces more effectively but only along side dietary changes. Think of it as an overflowing sink, you can bail out the water (metformin) but it will still overflow unless you turn off the tap (reducing carbohydrates).
You may find this link helpful in finding a way forward with your dietary changes.

Although 63 is not all that high, I'd advise cutting down carbs, cutting out the highest carb options such as bread and other grains, potatoes and most fruit and testing your blood glucose after meals to gradually reduce your levels to normal.
You can test to see if you can cope with various foods from time to time as often the metabolism will improve over time. Mine seems much happier, but unfortunately it happily stashes away glucose so I see weight gain rather than high glucose levels, and it takes ages to get rid of it, just as it did for most of my adult life - it does go, when I stick to low carb.

GPs seem to use fairly rigid criteria to decide whether to put people on metformin so if HbA1C is over X then prescribe metformin and I suppose when people would have had a face to face discussion when given their diagnosis the GP or nurse would assess what motivation somebody would have to make changes to their diet. The bottom line is though that metformin will only help as it enables the body to use the insulin it produces more effectively but only along side dietary changes. Think of it as an overflowing sink, you can bail out the water (metformin) but it will still overflow unless you turn off the tap (reducing carbohydrates).
You may find this link helpful in finding a way forward with your dietary changes.
This infuriates me!!!! the rule used to be that no doc should prescribe anything for any medical condition before discussing it with the patient first!!! They even do it in hospitals when you're comatose and just arrived in A&E - waste of breath obv. when you are truly out of it - but if you aren't 100% unconscious it's very reassuring indeed having them explain what they're about to do/are doing.

Is your GP called Dr Putin?

Hi all,

Thank you all for your replies and for putting my racing mind at ease. I will take on board what you've said and bring up some points with the DN 🙂 Thats a great analogy Leadinglights. I will continue making healthier food swaps but nothing too drastic until I've spoken to the nurse in a few weeks. The major change I'm hoping for is stopping being so tired all the time. I've had days where I've slept constantly for 16 hours. I've had enough of letting people down by changing plans last minute but sometimes I've felt like I'm at the end of running a marathon when all I've done is get up, had breakfast and washed up. I have to spread things out during the week so I dont have 'too much' to do or I know I'll be wiped out the next day. Its crazy how it can affect you (my other issues are probably contributing to the tiredness too.) It'll be a great feeling to know I can go food shopping during the day and meet friends in the evening and just do a normal amount of things again and not have to worry about how it might affect me or to fit in a rest day. Its been a general feeling of being unwell for years but without really being able to put my finger on whats wrong so I'm happy to have a diagnosis and hopefully a way to fix it. Onwards and upwards

MunchyM

Hi @MunchyM
Welcome, you have found the right place with the forums. There is so much experience here, one thing I would suggest is the book by Professor Roy Taylor. "Your Simple Guide to Reversing Type 2 Diabetes" you can pic it for under £5.00 on Amazon .
Joe

Hi @MunchyM
Welcome, you have found the right place with the forums. There is so much experience here, one thing I would suggest is the book by Professor Roy Taylor. "Your Simple Guide to Reversing Type 2 Diabetes" you can pic it for under £5.00 on Amazon .
Joe

Brilliant. Thank you, Joe. I will take a look. I've been on Metformin for 10 days now and today dare I say it... for the first time I feel kind of human! I've been out for a walk this morning and done some shopping and I'm still raring to go. Its a feeling of positivity I havent had for a while. Long may it continue.

MunchyM

@MunchyM
Your welcome, glad there some light at the end of the tunnel for you 😉.
Joe

@MunchyM Once you stop overloading your metabolism with glucose you should feel a lot better. It is simply the wrong fuel - like putting petrol into a diesel car, you just can't burn it so you feel exhausted all the time.
Eating the essential food groups, protein and fat you should soon pick up and get going.

Welcome to the forum @MunchyM

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis, and the way you have been left rather floundering without much in the way of information for such a long time :(

Hopefully some of the information on the Diabetes UK website, the Learning Zone, and some of the shared experiences of forum members will help you begin to get your head around things before your appointment.

@Drummer Yes, I'm definitely understanding that more now. I didnt realise the correlation with what I ate before. Hopefully heading in the right direction now (with a few treats now and then)

@everydayupsanddowns its a very useful and informative website :D Things are becoming clearer but its a shame I've had to research it myself and had to wait 4 weeks for my first appointment. I've got a few questions ready to ask the nurse.

Thank you to everyone thats supported me and guided me in the right direction. I hope you all had a lovely weekend
MunchyM

Hi everyone

Just had my first blood test after being on Metformin for 3 months. HbA1c has only gone down by 1 point to 62 and I've been summoned to see the nurse next week. On the plus side I've lost 6kg.

Feeling a bit down about the result but know its my fault as I havent drastically changed my diet or eating habits. I've made some food swaps and reduced portions but still been eating the 'naughty' food when I've wanted it. Hasnt helped with Easter and 10 days of Covid making me reach for the comfort carbs. My downfall seems to be crisps. I can eat a 6 pack in one sitting 😳 I think its the crunch and its just not the same from a carrot stick.

At least it hasnt gone up I suppose and its something that can be worked on. This result was disappointing and may inspire me to try harder. Bring on the warm Summer days with lots of yummy salad dinners.

MunchyM

It sounds like you’re doing well @MunchyM - making drastic changes is probably a bit...well...drastic. You’ve made some changes, you’ve lost a stone, and your A1c is trending downwards - give yourself a pat on the back! Can you replace some of those crisps with toasted nuts - I’m a massive crunchy food fan but try to stick to roasted almonds, hazelnuts, etc. Or a crunchy salad LOL.:D😎

@Bloden Thank you for the words of encouragement. Its easier to see the negatives than the positives sometimes. I do eat brazil nuts most days but I just cant give up the crisps. I've switched from Walkers to things like Wotsits or Quavers which have about half the carbs and are smaller packs... but then I eat 2 bags :/ I guess its going to be trial and error finding a new food lifestyle and finding meals I'm happy to eat and can stick to for the foreseeable future. I dont like change hehe.

I'm worried the nurse is going to tell me off or think the Metformin isn't working when really its just me being naughty! I must have felt guilty tonight as I had vegetarian burritos for tea but swapped the tortilla wraps for lettuce leaves o_O

Hope you all have a lovely bank holiday weekend,
MunchyM

Blood test update:

28th June HbA1c has gone down to 51 from 63 at diagnosis and 1 stone in weight lost.
Maybe I'm finally getting the hang of this??
Thank you to everyone thats given me advice and meal ideas 🙂

MunchyM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back