Hello Everyone

adrian1der

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi All
recently had an HbA1c test that came back at 78 last Friday. Had my second blood test on Monday and awaiting the outcome but I think I know what the result will be so keen to learn as much as I can and get myself prepared.

Strangely I purchased an exercise bike at the end of July and have managed to shed 19lbs since it arrived. I love the bike so exercise and weight loss shouldn't be a problem. (I probably need to loose another 4 Stone but pleased with my efforts so far).

I am a keen reader and have been reading Gretchen Becker "First Year: Type 2 Diabetes". Any other recommendations for books will be greatly received. I assume the next few days and weeks are going to be busy with medical appointments. Can anyone let me know what to expect and what I should ask?

Thanks for reading
Adrian

Toucan

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello @adrian1der and welcome to our forum.

A Type 2 diagnosis, is something that many of us on the forum have faced, and although it will mean a few changes, there are good solutions that will let you find a way to controlling your blood sugars and learn to live with diabetes.
There is no 'one size fits all' though and you need to find out what works for you.
You have certainly made a good start with increasing exercise and reading Gretchen's book.

A good investment is to get a blood glucose monitor, as it will help you work out what foods most effect you blood sugars and arrive at an eating plan that is good for you. test-review-adjust gives more details on this.
A useful book is http://www.carbsandcals.com/thebook.html to find out about carb content of different foods.
You will find lots of help on the forum, and The 'Learning Zone' tab at the top of this page is also a good information source.

There are many different approaches to a eating plan, as you will see if you look around the forum.

What has worked for me is a low-carb diet, and I will list some of the things that have helped me -
As well as cutting out all sugary things I seriously reduce all starchy carbs - bread, pasta,rice, potatoes etc. Some people can eat some of these in moderation, your tester will tell you how much these effect you.
I eat lots of veg, which helps me feel full - but mainly the less starchy ones that grow above the ground.
Proteins are fine and help me feel full - but I avoid processed food.
Fruit also needs to be limited as it can be high in carb, I limit to one potion a day, usually berries.
I include lots of good fats - oily fish,olive oil,avacado, nuts and a little cheese.

Best wishes in finding a good solution that works for you

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi All
recently had an HbA1c test that came back at 78 last Friday. Had my second blood test on Monday and awaiting the outcome but I think I know what the result will be so keen to learn as much as I can and get myself prepared.

Strangely I purchased an exercise bike at the end of July and have managed to shed 19lbs since it arrived. I love the bike so exercise and weight loss shouldn't be a problem. (I probably need to loose another 4 Stone but pleased with my efforts so far).

I am a keen reader and have been reading Gretchen Becker "First Year: Type 2 Diabetes". Any other recommendations for books will be greatly received. I assume the next few days and weeks are going to be busy with medical appointments. Can anyone let me know what to expect and what I should ask?

Thanks for reading
Adrian
Hi, Adrian. Welcome to the Forum.

If you're Type 2 one other book I would recommend is 'Can I Eat That?' by Jenefer Roberts.

Martin

Toucan

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2

Will give you some information on what to expect for medical appointments.
However due to Coronavirus restrictions, these are sometimes not currently available in some areas.

adrian1der

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello @adrian1der and welcome to our forum.

A Type 2 diagnosis, is something that many of us on the forum have faced, and although it will mean a few changes, there are good solutions that will let you find a way to controlling your blood sugars and learn to live with diabetes.
There is no 'one size fits all' though and you need to find out what works for you.
You have certainly made a good start with increasing exercise and reading Gretchen's book.

A good investment is to get a blood glucose monitor, as it will help you work out what foods most effect you blood sugars and arrive at an eating plan that is good for you. test-review-adjust gives more details on this.
A useful book is http://www.carbsandcals.com/thebook.html to find out about carb content of different foods.
You will find lots of help on the forum, and The 'Learning Zone' tab at the top of this page is also a good information source.

There are many different approaches to a eating plan, as you will see if you look around the forum.

What has worked for me is a low-carb diet, and I will list some of the things that have helped me -
As well as cutting out all sugary things I seriously reduce all starchy carbs - bread, pasta,rice, potatoes etc. Some people can eat some of these in moderation, your tester will tell you how much these effect you.
I eat lots of veg, which helps me feel full - but mainly the less starchy ones that grow above the ground.
Proteins are fine and help me feel full - but I avoid processed food.
Fruit also needs to be limited as it can be high in carb, I limit to one potion a day, usually berries.
I include lots of good fats - oily fish,olive oil,avacado, nuts and a little cheese.

Best wishes in finding a good solution that works for you
Thanks Kay
I've all ready cut back on carbs. Fortunately I love cooking and so fresh produce is great!

LucyDUK

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Welcome to the forum @adrian1der - there are some pinned threads in the ‘Newbies’ area that you might find helpful. Well done on the weight loss :)

weecee

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Welcome to the family Adrian. Reading through the huge variety of threads here will give you loads of real life info and insights. Our bodies deal with food differently but the general idea is the same. Learn all you can and test test test yourself to learn about how your own body reacts to various foods. Good luck

adrian1der

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi All

Thanks for reading
Adrian
Second test came back at 65. Started Metformin last night with my evening meal :-(

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Second test came back at 65. Started Metformin last night with my evening meal :-(
That's good. Things look to be heading in the right direction then. Stick with what you're doing and keep us posted.

Martin

ianf0ster

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
That second test result is encouraging. It appears that the changes you have already made are having a positive effect.
however dietary changes have a bigger effect than exercise alone. - You can't our-run a poor diet!
So try going Low(er) carb.

adrian1der

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thanks - I have cut right back on the carbs. Just got off the bike after just over 11 miles and burning over 900 calories. Think I need a cup of tea! Good news is that my BG is down to 6.9. Lowest I've seen since I started testing

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thanks - I have cut right back on the carbs. Just got off the bike after just over 11 miles and burning over 900 calories. Think I need a cup of tea! Good news is that my BG is down to 6.9. Lowest I've seen since I started testing
Well done on your terrific start @adrian1der

Onward and downward!