Hello everyone.

Peter Mack

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi Im Pete,
I have been diagnosed as type two and am about to change my diet to improve my lifestyle
anyone any tips on looking at diet.
Peter.

Hi Peter

My top tip would be make gradual improvements to your diet, it’s safer for your eyes that way.

Whats your starting point with your diet, what do you eat now before the changes?

Welcome to the forum @Peter Mack

Glad you have found us!

There are two main approaches to menu adjustments that are popular on the forum (with many variants among them). One is to focus on weight loss, particularly weight around the abdomen which can indicate visceral fat built up around organs like the liver and pancreas, stopping them working properly. Many members using this approach find that glucose levels improve naturally as their weight reduces - particularly if using a short term intervention such as the 800cal Newcastle Diet (currently being rolled out as the NHS Soup & Shake diet)

The other approach is to focus on blood glucose management with a lower carbohydrate way of eating (typically less than 130g of carbohydrates a day). Reducing portions of all carbohydrates, not just the obvious sweet and sugary things, but reducing portions of bread, pasta, potatoes, grains, rice, and many fruits. Many members using this approach find that weight reduces naturally as their glucose levels improve.

Of course there are some that use a combination approach too!

One of the things about diabetes is that it can be very individual. And the same approach may not appeal, or work as successfully for two different people - so it’s really a question of experimentation, and developing a ‘diabetes toolkit’ of strategies and approaches that work for you, and which you can sustain long-term 🙂

Glad you have found us!

There are two main approaches to menu adjustments that are popular on the forum (with many variants among them). One is to focus on weight loss, particularly weight around the abdomen which can indicate visceral fat built up around organs like the liver and pancreas, stopping them working properly. Many members using this approach find that glucose levels improve naturally as their weight reduces - particularly if using a short term intervention such as the 800cal Newcastle Diet (currently being rolled out as the NHS Soup & Shake diet)

The other approach is to focus on blood glucose management with a lower carbohydrate way of eating (typically less than 130g of carbohydrates a day). Reducing portions of all carbohydrates, not just the obvious sweet and sugary things, but reducing portions of bread, pasta, potatoes, grains, rice, and many fruits. Many members using this approach find that weight reduces naturally as their glucose levels improve.

Of course there are some that use a combination approach too!

One of the things about diabetes is that it can be very individual. And the same approach may not appeal, or work as successfully for two different people - so it’s really a question of experimentation, and developing a ‘diabetes toolkit’ of strategies and approaches that work for you, and which you can sustain long-term
Hi
Thankyou for the warm welcome the two pronged approach reads well .
I intend to be a regular contributor here.
Once again many thanks
Pete.

There is a wealth of experience to tap into on here.

An important theme on people’s management of their Diabetes is finding what works for you from the different advice given, and choosing an approach that can sustain. You have already recognised the need to make some change, so ideas on here can provide a good starting point.

Do ask any questions that arise. No questions are considered silly on here. Just ask.

Hi.
Thankyou for the welcome.
I am looking forward to reading the various advise.
Pete.

Hi Im Pete,
I have been diagnosed as type two and am about to change my diet to improve my lifestyle
anyone any tips on looking at diet.
Peter.
Welcome. I'm new too and have been so impressed by the amount of combined knowledge everyone on here has and their generosity in sharing it. Even when there are different views, it's valuable for helping me learn how to live well with diabetes.

Back