Hello everyone,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zuri

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
I’m grateful for this forum. I was diagnosed with t2 recently and trying to control it with diet. I had a BS level of 5.9 last night yet it was 7.1 this morning. Is this bad? I don’t know why this happens.

I’m grateful for this forum. I was diagnosed with t2 recently and trying to control it with diet. I had a BS level of 5.9 last night yet it was 7.1 this morning. Is this bad? I don’t know why this happens.
Many find that blood glucose can be higher in the morning because in the absence of food overnight or rather irst thing in the morning the liver tries to be super helpful and releases glucose to give you energy for your organs to function and just getting yp and making breakfast. It is often referred to as Foot on the Floor Phenomenon and people ind testing in bed can give a more consistent fasting / morning reading.

Sounds like the Dawn Phenomenon - the body releases a dollop of glucose/ energy to set you up for the day. Very useful when you were a cave person and had to chase a Mammoth for breakfast, not so useful now.

Hormones (Such as Cortisol) are released by various glands in the morning as part of the natural circadian rhythm, which is though to be linked to various physiological mechanisms that try to predict when energy is going to be required. This makes the muscles and other tissues (Fat) more insulin resistant, suppresses insulin, and increases the liver's glucose output. In a non-diabetic the rise can be handled OK as the clearance rate can match the increased production rate, but people with T2D are unable to clear it as fast so levels rise - either due to excessive insulin resistance and/or lack of insulin production from defective beta cells.

7.1 isn't really that bad, as some people see values closer to double figures.
You may find it starts to fall as the day goes on, as around noon is the time when insulin resistance should be lowest.

(Mine goes up a little, lower to mid sixes, when I get ready for work/school run, but by midday it's usually back into the 5s and can sometimes be in the 4s by mid-afternoon). You may find a low carb diet can contribute to slightly elevated levels.

Thank you for your replies. I guess I have to try not to worry so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back