Hello! diagnosed with Type 2 today!

Aristoincurate

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Good evening folks!

Diagnosed today with type 2 following a by chance blood test at work as part of a well person check a couple of months ago!

Had a sit down today with the diabetic nurse at my surgery, most recent Hb1Ac test was 9.6 so well into diabetic range.

My nurse told me about diabetes UK and this forum. So here I am. I have to say, it's been a blessing and a relief to read all your posts and advice. Good to know I'm not alone in this!

Thanks very much guys, looking forward to reading your posts and getting to know you and this disease!

Good evening folks!

Diagnosed today with type 2 following a by chance blood test at work as part of a well person check a couple of months ago!

Had a sit down today with the diabetic nurse at my surgery, most recent Hb1Ac test was 9.6 so well into diabetic range.

My nurse told me about diabetes UK and this forum. So here I am. I have to say, it's been a blessing and a relief to read all your posts and advice. Good to know I'm not alone in this!

Thanks very much guys, looking forward to reading your posts and getting to know you and this disease!
Welcome to the forum, you will find lots of advise from people who have found themselves in your situation. You have been given your result in the old units of % but it converts to 81mmol/mol which puts you well into the diabetic zone. I am surprised that you hadn't been aware of symptoms of thirst, frequent loo visits and potentially some eyesight issues but at least you now know and can take action to bring you level down. Is it the intention to start any medication as that may influence what dietary approach may be suitable. Many find a low carbohydrate approach successful in both reducing blood glucose and losing weight if you need to. There is very good explanation in this link as well as some menu plans and you will see there is still plenty you can eat and still have filling tasty meals, it is a*0matter of making better food choices and cutting out the 'junk high carb foods'. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

Your HbA1c is high but many of us were diagnosed higher, often in 3 figures, but through a combination of diet, being more active and losing some weight (if needed) have managed to turn things around, get back to normal numbers and even come off medication. It's good to read that you're already finding the forum helpful.

Welcome to the forum @Aristoincurate

Sorry you’ve had to join, but glad you have found us 🙂

Diabetes is a serious condition, but it’s also one that can usually be managed well with a few changes and adaptations to your menu and activity levels - it’s something that you can learn to live well with, and it shouldn’t stop you doing things you enjoy.

When it comes to managing your diabetes, many forum members have found it’s best to make changes to your menu and activity levels gradually - partly because they need to be sustainable long term, but also because very rapid and sudden changes to blood glucose levels are harder on the fine blood vessels, and changing things more gently will give your body time to adapt.

Good luck, and keep firing away with any questions you have - we have literally centuries of lived diabetes experience on the forum, so ask away!

Thank you guys. Yeah, @Leadinglights , I didn't give it a thought until I had the initial test. Then when I actually sat down went through and thought about the symptoms, I was ticking all the boxes. Blurry vision occasionally, nightime loo visits and thirstyness. I just put it down to old age! I've been prescribed Metaformin and atorvastatin. Review blood test in three months. Glad its been caught though before it became more serious. A lot to learn but determined not to let it rule my life.

Thanks for your supportive comments!

Thank you guys. Yeah, @Leadinglights , I didn't give it a thought until I had the initial test. Then when I actually sat down went through and thought about the symptoms, I was ticking all the boxes. Blurry vision occasionally, nightime loo visits and thirstyness. I just put it down to old age! I've been prescribed Metaformin and atorvastatin. Review blood test in three months. Glad its been caught though before it became more serious. A lot to learn but determined not to let it rule my life.

I was diagnosed 7 weeks ago HbA1c of 81 - same Meds as you - 2 x 500mg Metformin SR and atorvastin

Got a phone call from a Nurse to be put on meds no real info - got loads of good gen of Diabetes UK including these forums.

I have had no real side effects from the Metformin -

Cut out all the obvious and have gone low Carb - so far have lost well over a stone from my August weigh in and over 2 from my heaviest.

I bought a BGM to do morning readings so I could do weekly averages.
First week was a 8.1 Mmol/l - not as high as my HbA1c would have suggested but still to high.
Last week was a 6.2 Mmol/l so heading in the right direction.

Retest HbA1c in November - Hoping for something in the 40's but that maybe to optimistic.

My aim is to lose more weight - give my body time to heal and get off the Metformin.

I had normalised my diet and my size with the help from a unhealthy society.

You can do this!!! - Take each day as it comes - as many have said it is a Marathon not a Sprint.

Just a heads up. I was put on those tablets and had a rather serious situation developing quite quickly and it took some years to recover from just 5 weeks taking the tablets.
Some people take them with no problem, but I was in a really bad state.
The most galling thing was that I never needed the tablets in the first place and without them I've been just fine for years.

Back