Hello and GLP-1 !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hey all. Lovely to meet you. I've been diabetic for a long time but I have recently been advised by my nurse that I need to start taking a GLP-1. I understand the side effects include nausea and vomiting, which I'm a bit nervous about to be honest. Does anyone have any experience of injecting GLP-1 and can tell me how horrific the side effects are please?!

I am sorry I have no experience of this medicine. Perhaps someone else will be able to help.
I will tag @Josh DUK and @LucyDUK to see if they can help.

I understand that should you get these side effects, that much like with metformin's gastric side effects, these can reduce with continued use. Hence yes you need to be aware - but neither you nor anyone else knows whether you'd get them, cos not everybody does.

Hey all. Lovely to meet you. I've been diabetic for a long time but I have recently been advised by my nurse that I need to start taking a GLP-1. I understand the side effects include nausea and vomiting, which I'm a bit nervous about to be honest. Does anyone have any experience of injecting GLP-1 and can tell me how horrific the side effects are please?!

It may be best to check out our webpage on GLP-1 analogues - https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...etes/tablets-and-medication/incretin-mimetics This recommends looking at the Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) which comes with the specific medication which will detail the possible side effects. If you may have misplaced the PIL, they can find it on the Electronic Medicines Compendium (emc) - https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc by searching under the name of the medicine.

You also have to take in account that everyone’s reaction to medicines is different & any side effects experienced will be specific to you. It may be helpful to speak to your HCP about the side effects as well.

Hi and welcome.
I wonder if you have tried following a low carb way of eating to control your diabetes, during the time that you have been diagnosed. Many people here on the forum find it hugely beneficial and are able to avoid medication or come off it if they have been started on it.
Unfortunately NHS advice on diet for diabetics is not ideal so you may not be aware that even wholegrain and wholemeal varieties of carbohydrates can still spike your BG readings. Basically our bodies convert all carbohydrates to glucose, so it is not just the obvious sweet stuff like cakes and biscuits and sweets and sugar that we need to avoid but also significantly reduce our consumption of starchy carbs like bread, pasta, rice, breakfast cereals and potatoes. Even otherwise healthy foods like porridge and fruit can cause our BG to sky rocket, so many of us dramatically reduce our intake of all these foods. It can be a really enjoyable way to eat once you get the hang of it and many people find they lose weight in the process.
Lots of people here on the forum can give you tips/support if you feel this is something you would like to try before starting this new medication if your nurse can be persuaded to give you a 3 month period of grace to get your diet in order and see if that will control your diabetes without the GLP-1 .

Hey @rebrascora, thanks for your reply. I don't eat a lot of carb food anyway, I have cereal in the morning as I can't face eating anything else in the morning but usually Shredded Wheat or Rice Krispies. I try to keep to a diet that has meat and veg included and will only have carbs on occasion which consist of some form of potato, i.e. mashed, jacket, new etc. I'm not sure if I could cut them out completely. I don't keep bread in the house and haven't done for months now. I understand that the Keto diet is a good way of cutting out carby things for diabetics but I have also been told it is boring and hard work! I think the best thing might be to reduce carb intake even further through a process of trial and error. My blood sugar is consistently too high and I need to bring it down so I'm going to use the GLP-1 as I clearly need some additional help and maybe try and change my diet a bit further while using it. However, any tips and ideas that could be provided would still be very welcomed and I thank you for the offer . Have a great day!

I'm puzzled. You say you don't eat many carbs but go on to mention Shredded Wheat, Rice Krispies, baked and mashed potato, all of which are high carb. For me that would be a weapons grade diet to be avoided at all costs.

Martin

Thank you for your reply. Maybe I wasn't clear. Yes I have breakfast every morning which is cereal as I can't stomach anything cooked at 7 in the morning. I have some carbs, sometimes in the week - not all the time. As I said, if anyone is willing to give me some help, tips and ideas on how I could change my diet further instead of attacking me and leaving critical comments which are of no use to someone who is trying but struggling, that would be great 🙂

How about creamy natural Greek yoghurt (not low fat) for breakfast with a few berries (rasps/strawberries/blackberries/blackcurrants etc or rhubarb is in season at the moment stewed with a little Stevia.... these are the lowest carb fruits) and a tablesp. mixed seeds like pumpkin, sesame, sunflower and chia or whatever mixed seeds you can get in a packet and have it with a cup of coffee made with double cream. It works out about 10g carbs The fat in the yoghurt and cream will keep you feeling full until lunchtime, provide slow release energy and best of all it tastes good, so you don't feel deprived. It always feels decadent to start the day with a coffee and cream and I enjoy it more with cream than I ever did with sugar.....and I was a sugar addict. Or if you want a "grab and go" breakfast, how about a Nature Valley protein bar at just 10g carbs per bar as oppose to the 40g+ of carbs in your Shredded Wheat or Rice Crispies and milk, Most of us are more insulin resistant in the morning so any carbs we eat will send our BG soaring and stay high for much longer than during the rest of the day, so best to eat as few carbs as possible for breakfast to make the biggest improvement to your HbA1c reading. Sometimes I have a boiled egg salad for breakfast with avocado and cheese coleslaw.... not for everyone at breakfast time but very low carb, tasty and keeps me going all day without wanting to snack.

If you are going to eat potatoes, mash is the worst option because the glucose from it hits our blood stream pretty quickly. New potatoes or baby potatoes in their skins are the best option but portion size still needs to be reduced. Maybe try lentils instead as a slightly lower carb option or mashed cauliflower instead of potato, which is a great low carb susbstitute. Tastes great cooked and mashed with a spoon of wholegrain mustard and a good dollop of cream cheese. It can be eaten with high meat content sausages (cheap sausages contain rusk which is carbs) or gammon or used to top minced beef or lamb for a cottage or shepherd's pie. Cauliflower can also be grated and used to replace rice or couscous as well as made into a tasty cauliflower cheese which is what I had tonight with roast chicken and leeks in butter.

Anyway, just some suggestions if you want to try lowering your carb intake further.

How about creamy natural Greek yoghurt (not low fat) for breakfast with a few berries (rasps/strawberries/blackberries/blackcurrants etc or rhubarb is in season at the moment stewed with a little Stevia.... these are the lowest carb fruits) and a tablesp. mixed seeds like pumpkin, sesame, sunflower and chia or whatever mixed seeds you can get in a packet and have it with a cup of coffee made with double cream. It works out about 10g carbs The fat in the yoghurt and cream will keep you feeling full until lunchtime, provide slow release energy and best of all it tastes good, so you don't feel deprived. It always feels decadent to start the day with a coffee and cream and I enjoy it more with cream than I ever did with sugar.....and I was a sugar addict. Or if you want a "grab and go" breakfast, how about a Nature Valley protein bar at just 10g carbs per bar as oppose to the 40g+ of carbs in your Shredded Wheat or Rice Crispies and milk, Most of us are more insulin resistant in the morning so any carbs we eat will send our BG soaring and stay high for much longer than during the rest of the day, so best to eat as few carbs as possible for breakfast to make the biggest improvement to your HbA1c reading. Sometimes I have a boiled egg salad for breakfast with avocado and cheese coleslaw.... not for everyone at breakfast time but very low carb, tasty and keeps me going all day without wanting to snack.

If you are going to eat potatoes, mash is the worst option because the glucose from it hits our blood stream pretty quickly. New potatoes or baby potatoes in their skins are the best option but portion size still needs to be reduced. Maybe try lentils instead as a slightly lower carb option or mashed cauliflower instead of potato, which is a great low carb susbstitute. Tastes great cooked and mashed with a spoon of wholegrain mustard and a good dollop of cream cheese. It can be eaten with high meat content sausages (cheap sausages contain rusk which is carbs) or gammon or used to top minced beef or lamb for a cottage or shepherd's pie. Cauliflower can also be grated and used to replace rice or couscous as well as made into a tasty cauliflower cheese which is what I had tonight with roast chicken and leeks in butter.

Anyway, just some suggestions if you want to try lowering your carb intake further.
Hi @rebrascora
I’m a newbie too - Type 2. Really interested in what you said about being more insulin resistant in the mornings! Is this a general thing? Is there some evidence.... and how can I find out if this applies to me!! Since diagnosis 2 months ago I’ve been having porridge in the mornings and then pretty much no carbs in rest of day. But if this applies to me.... going forward ....i should switch that round. Thanks so much.

@Caroline2020
It is generally the case although it is probably mainly due to what is known as the Dawn Phenomenon where the liver throws out some extra glucose to give us an energy boost for the day. It is believed to be a throwback to prehistoric days when we didn't have food in the fridge and cupboards and therefore we needed some energy to go out and hunt down a woolly mammoth for breakfast. Those of us who inject insulin tend to see that we don't respond to that insulin as effectively in the morning as we do during the rest of the day and hence it is considered insulin resistance but in reality it is probably this effect of our liver pumping out extra glucose to add to what we have actually consumed which means it doesn't drop our BG as we would normally expect at other times of the day and consequently we need to inject more insulin than usual for the carbs we have eaten. Even if we skip breakfast our glucose levels will rise by several full units as a result of DP if we don't inject insulin to cover it. I usually need 1.5-2 extra units of insulin for DP which is the equivalent of my BG rising by 4.5-6 mmols which means that if I woke up with a nice in range fasting reading of 5, DP can take my BG up to 10 without consuming any breakfast if I don't inject some insulin to cover it. Your BG is unlikely to rise by that much as you are Type 2 and your body will still be producing insulin but since most Type 2s are insulin resistant it will take longer for the body to clear it from the blood.

It is possible to see the effect for yourself by purchasing a Blood Glucose Meter and testing your blood when you first wake up and then an hour or so later without eating any breakfast and you will almost certainly see your levels rise.

Using a BG meter is highly recommended here on the forum if you are looking to control your diabetes via diet as it can give you invaluable information about how your body responds to particular foods. This can be highly individual due to differences in metabolism and gut biome and genetic factors, so whilst one Type 2 diabetic might get away with eating porridge for breakfast, it could be spiking someone else's BG and keeping it high for half the day. By testing before and then 2 hours after eating we can see how that food has impacted our BG levels and decide if it was a good choice or we need to reduce the portion size or perhaps avoid that food altogether.

The NHS no longer funds BG meters for all diabetics as funding is limited and many medical professionals are not aware of how beneficial they can be in helping people to control their diabetes and there is a concern that people will become obsessed.
Basic BG meters are relatively inexpensive to purchase (approx. £15) but the consumables like test strips and lancets are where the financial impact occurs. For that reason, here on the forum, if people are self funding, we recommend either the SD Gluco Navii BG meter or the Spirit Healthcare Tee2 meter as these have the cheapest test strips at £8 for a pot of 50 and whilst that seems like a lot, they disappear quite quickly when you are testing several times a day for the first few months until you build up a picture of how certain foods (and exercise) affects your levels.

Anyway, that hopefully answers your question, even if it is a bit long winded!

Hi @rebrascora
I’m a newbie too - Type 2. Really interested in what you said about being more insulin resistant in the mornings! Is this a general thing? Is there some evidence.... and how can I find out if this applies to me!! Since diagnosis 2 months ago I’ve been having porridge in the mornings and then pretty much no carbs in rest of day. But if this applies to me.... going forward ....i should switch that round. Thanks so much.
Hi Caroline. Yes, being more Insulin resistant in the morning is a real thing. However it isn't universal - so some find they are more insulin resistant in the evening.
The only way to find out which (if either) is the case with you is to use a Blood Glucose meter and check if there is any difference eating exactly the same meal at different times of the day. Naturally you need to know how much it raises the BG, so you need to test twice each time - just before the meal and then 2hrs after first bite.

Almost all of us Type 2's are told that there is no point in testing. But that couldn't be further from the truth for a lifestyle disease which many can control by cutting down on Carbs. We just need a BG meter and lots of cheap test strips in order to know 1). Which Carby foods affect us most . 2). How much we can safely eat of them.

I too used to eat porridge for breakfast every day, I also used to eat lots of whole grains and lots of fruit. Not anymore once I saw what they do to my Blood Glucose levels!

Hi Ian - thanks so much. I have a monitor but haven’t really known what i should do with it! This is a good task to start with. Gives me a real purpose for tracking.

@Caroline2020
It is generally the case although it is probably mainly due to what is known as the Dawn Phenomenon where the liver throws out some extra glucose to give us an energy boost for the day. It is believed to be a throwback to prehistoric days when we didn't have food in the fridge and cupboards and therefore we needed some energy to go out and hunt down a woolly mammoth for breakfast. Those of us who inject insulin tend to see that we don't respond to that insulin as effectively in the morning as we do during the rest of the day and hence it is considered insulin resistance but in reality it is probably this effect of our liver pumping out extra glucose to add to what we have actually consumed which means it doesn't drop our BG as we would normally expect at other times of the day and consequently we need to inject more insulin than usual for the carbs we have eaten. Even if we skip breakfast our glucose levels will rise by several full units as a result of DP if we don't inject insulin to cover it. I usually need 1.5-2 extra units of insulin for DP which is the equivalent of my BG rising by 4.5-6 mmols which means that if I woke up with a nice in range fasting reading of 5, DP can take my BG up to 10 without consuming any breakfast if I don't inject some insulin to cover it. Your BG is unlikely to rise by that much as you are Type 2 and your body will still be producing insulin but since most Type 2s are insulin resistant it will take longer for the body to clear it from the blood.

It is possible to see the effect for yourself by purchasing a Blood Glucose Meter and testing your blood when you first wake up and then an hour or so later without eating any breakfast and you will almost certainly see your levels rise.

Using a BG meter is highly recommended here on the forum if you are looking to control your diabetes via diet as it can give you invaluable information about how your body responds to particular foods. This can be highly individual due to differences in metabolism and gut biome and genetic factors, so whilst one Type 2 diabetic might get away with eating porridge for breakfast, it could be spiking someone else's BG and keeping it high for half the day. By testing before and then 2 hours after eating we can see how that food has impacted our BG levels and decide if it was a good choice or we need to reduce the portion size or perhaps avoid that food altogether.

The NHS no longer funds BG meters for all diabetics as funding is limited and many medical professionals are not aware of how beneficial they can be in helping people to control their diabetes and there is a concern that people will become obsessed.
Basic BG meters are relatively inexpensive to purchase (approx. £15) but the consumables like test strips and lancets are where the financial impact occurs. For that reason, here on the forum, if people are self funding, we recommend either the SD Gluco Navii BG meter or the Spirit Healthcare Tee2 meter as these have the cheapest test strips at £8 for a pot of 50 and whilst that seems like a lot, they disappear quite quickly when you are testing several times a day for the first few months until you build up a picture of how certain foods (and exercise) affects your levels.

Anyway, that hopefully answers your question, even if it is a bit long winded!
That’s brilliant. So helpful. Thank you. Yes I have a BG meter but haven’t really worked out what to do with it.... this gives me a proper purpose and use. Really kind to respond so quickly.

Welcome to the forum @This is Pointless

Hope the new meds work well for you and you don’t get any nasty side effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back