Hello All

JimmyBlue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
As recommended by the moderator, just dropping in a quick hello post.

I'm 63 and was diagnosed with T2D (picking up the lingo quick) about a fortnight ago. Still trying to get my head around it but with my extremely supportive wife I am getting there. When I saw the Diabetes Nurse I got a "you're not the usual type' and it appears that there is some question mark about why I am diabetic. I'm 13stone 4lbs, run at least 5-10K per week in two runs and have a pretty healthy diet.

My secret is that when I was working away (which I have done a fair bit of over time) I used to binge out on the sweet things in life e.g. chocolate, cake, ice cream, etc. and I figure that is how I ended up with this condition. So it is all my own fault and I am happy to own my own stupidity.

Off to read about remission now. Thanks for having me :D

Hello, welcome to the forum. I was diagnosed in July and - yes- the first place I looked was the remission bit of the forum! I doubt we're unique in that:D.

Very much relate to the sweet tooth and sweet binges as an A-road to Diabetes Town.

if you're comfortable sharing, people usually ask what your hba1c was at diagnosis and what medications (if any) you are taking. Knowing that helps people to answer any questions you might ask in a way that is most appropriate for you. Diabetes can be a highly individual beastie and what works for one person might not for another.

My diagnosis was 92 followed up a week or so later by 86. The nurse I spoke to have moved to me to a different way of counting so when she tested on Tuesday evening it was at 12.4, but when I tested today it was about 8.6 just after I had eaten and 9.8 a few hours later. I think I need to get in to a better rhythm with the testing so will start to do it in the morning and two hours after breakfast and the same again after an evening meal to see how things go.

All my other measures where within their respective ranges.

People often think it is just the 'sweet' stuff that causes the problem and it may for some but it can still happen to people even if they do not have sweet stuff.
It is much more about carbohydrates and they are the foods that are pushed as being 'healthy' potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, breakfast cereals which are things that do no favours to people whose metabolism has difficulty with those.
@JimmyBlue have a look at this link for some good information about how to tackle your diagnosis https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

Hi Leading Lights, I have spent the last few years working in Germany and I have to admit that sitting next to the fruit bowl at work was a temptation to far, German cakes are wonderful when your wife is not around to make them and Tony's chocolate was a tasty snack at weekends. My problem is definitely down to the sweet stuff as I moved away from eating pasta while I was there and cut my rice intake to about 60-70g per meal.

That said, since the shock of the diagnosis, my meals have changed massively. I have cut out the carbohydrates to a great extent but my diabetic nurse said to try and aim for under 130 grammes per day which with my wife's help I seem to be achieved. I have also downloaded the Freshwell app on my phone and taking note of the recipes I can eat. Next up is gym membership as I have been advised by both the nurse and a friend that doing weights at least twice a weak is a positive activity since it builds muscle mass and increases the amount of glucose absorbed by the muscles. To date my exercise regime is running (currently around 16 miles a week), one game of golf and a weekly 30 minute workout with a PT online.

I think this is having an impact but I am still upset at being limited to one piece of fruit per day 😱

Hi Leading Lights, I have spent the last few years working in Germany and I have to admit that sitting next to the fruit bowl at work was a temptation to far, German cakes are wonderful when your wife is not around to make them and Tony's chocolate was a tasty snack at weekends. My problem is definitely down to the sweet stuff as I moved away from eating pasta while I was there and cut my rice intake to about 60-70g per meal.

That said, since the shock of the diagnosis, my meals have changed massively. I have cut out the carbohydrates to a great extent but my diabetic nurse said to try and aim for under 130 grammes per day which with my wife's help I seem to be achieved. I have also downloaded the Freshwell app on my phone and taking note of the recipes I can eat. Next up is gym membership as I have been advised by both the nurse and a friend that doing weights at least twice a weak is a positive activity since it builds muscle mass and increases the amount of glucose absorbed by the muscles. To date my exercise regime is running (currently around 16 miles a week), one game of golf and a weekly 30 minute workout with a PT online.

I think this is having an impact but I am still upset at being limited to one piece of fruit per day 😱
Fruit is one of the things that many people do miss but by careful choices of fruit it can be incorporated into a no more than 130g per day carbs.
Berries are the lowest carb fruits though blueberries are higher, tropical fruits are the highest with others somewhere in between.
The book or app Carbs and Cals is a good resource for giving carb values of a whole range of foods which allows you to compare and make better choices.

hello and welcome to the forum 🙂

When I saw the Diabetes Nurse I got a "you're not the usual type' and it appears that there is some question mark about why I am diabetic.

Welcome to the forum @JimmyBlue

Glad you have found us!

Sounds like you’ve got off to a flying start with changes to your menu, and increased activity. I note that your nurse mentioned you had what is sometimes called an atypical presentation.

This may be worth bearing in mind over the coming months (and years!) as diabetes can be a tricksy character, and while it is perfectly possible that you may have T2 (often the medic’s go-to classification in older people) there are some rarer and more niche versions that may begin by looking a bit T2ish, but ultimately turn out to be a slow onset form of T1.

But the changes you have been making will certainly help in the meantime, so well done for springing into action 🙂

Welcome @JimmyBlue looks like you are off to a flyer, just keep that positive attitude

Alan 😉

Back